I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:21:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: 7.01 from Maidenhead to Paddington  (Read 70313 times)
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2020, 08:45:47 »

Another great start to the day.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2020, 08:46:03 »

After the fun of getting home last night - Twyford being dropped from a couple of the services was really hoping for a smooth journey in.

Sadly not. Platform at Twyford was rammed so I'm guessing an earlier service was cancelled or ran fast to Paddington. As I couldn't get to my regular spot decided to take the drastic step of trying the rear 4 carriages. Didn't even get close. Was still queuing to get on when the TFL (Transport for London) person told us to move back up the platform as the train was departing. Eventually ended up in carriage 9 which was standing room only.

Is this really the culmination of billions of pounds of investment in trains, track, signals and stations? A service that subjectively feels as bad as any period over the last couple of years. Talking to my fellow commuters we were all quite angry that this appears to be as good as it gets.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2020, 10:45:43 »

The previous train was indeed cancelled, well, had the Twyford stop removed as it was running 20 minutes late.  The delay was due to a freight train with braking issues.

The culmination comes ones the Elizabeth Line opens I suppose?  At least the train you did get was on time and formed of 12-carriages - I had feared it might be a victim of 'more than the usual number of trains needing repair' syndrome, but I don't think it has been shortformed yet?

I see the 07:07 called at Maidenhead despite being 6 minutes late from Reading, though it lost a further 6 minutes to Paddington.  Perhaps words have been had with those making the decisions?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2020, 11:50:34 »

I was just about to say thanks/well done for the 7.07 being allowed to stop today at Maidenhead despite being slightly late. 

Tuesday is in my estimation ‘peak unreliability day’ and I feel the freight train that shuffles through is something to do with it.

Personally I’ve abandoned the 7.01/7.07 completely and have moved to the 6.45.  I wouldn’t choose to be getting up even earlier but that choice has been removed from me by GWR (Great Western Railway) and the unreliability of the 7.xx services.  For the record the 6.45 appears quite reliable but was shortformed today so a lot of grumpy standing people at Slough.

Roll on summer timetable changes...

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2020, 12:57:23 »

The previous train was indeed cancelled, well, had the Twyford stop removed as it was running 20 minutes late.  The delay was due to a freight train with braking issues.

The culmination comes ones the Elizabeth Line opens I suppose?  At least the train you did get was on time and formed of 12-carriages - I had feared it might be a victim of 'more than the usual number of trains needing repair' syndrome, but I don't think it has been shortformed yet?

I see the 07:07 called at Maidenhead despite being 6 minutes late from Reading, though it lost a further 6 minutes to Paddington.  Perhaps words have been had with those making the decisions?

But what about the one before that? The 06:26 (1P92) was on time, yet it too non-stopped at Twyford and then stopped at Maidenhead. Maidenhead's 06:45 doesn't have a Twyford stop to not do. So Today Maidenhead got the sweeties, and Twyford the empty packet - and probably loads of people saying "if I'd known how late I'd be I'd have got on the TfL» (Transport for London - about) train".
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2020, 13:10:50 »

Thanks for the update. Hasn't been shortformed yet but I think allowing a bit more time for boarding would make a big difference but then we know the timetable is very aggressive on timings. I'm not going to try using the back 5 coaches again.

Has a review date for the new timetable been set as I think there are a few issues with Maidenhead/Twyford as well as the London centric issues mentioned by other posters?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2020, 14:08:15 »

But what about the one before that? The 06:26 (1P92) was on time, yet it too non-stopped at Twyford and then stopped at Maidenhead. Maidenhead's 06:45 doesn't have a Twyford stop to not do.

Are you sure?  I can find no reference to any alterations to 1P92 today?

Just for clarification the freight train that was the cause of the delay to the train that definitely didn’t stop at Twyford wasn’t the one that has got in the way of trains at that time on the morning before.  This was a Whatley Quarry to Appleford service that doesn’t go east of Reading at all, but caused the delay in the Newbury area.  Though it’s not even booked to go that way as it should go via Melksham!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2020, 14:18:04 »

Just for clarification the freight train that was the cause of the delay to the train that definitely didn’t stop at Twyford wasn’t the one that has got in the way of trains at that time on the morning before.  This was a Whatley Quarry to Appleford service that doesn’t go east of Reading at all, but caused the delay in the Newbury area.  Though it’s not even booked to go that way as it should go via Melksham!

Goodness knows what was going on this morning ... the 06:12 Frome to Paddington which serves stations via Newbury got diverted via Melksham ... 7 late from Westbury, 8 late by the time it got to Reading and probably near as darn it empty by the time it had skipped all the stops from Pewsey to Theale on its normal route.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2020, 14:36:24 »

But what about the one before that? The 06:26 (1P92) was on time, yet it too non-stopped at Twyford and then stopped at Maidenhead. Maidenhead's 06:45 doesn't have a Twyford stop to not do.

Are you sure?  I can find no reference to any alterations to 1P92 today?

Well, no, I can only go by what's reported. I based that on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) showing the actual arrival time as "pass", the same as it does for 1K03. But looking wider, in this case RTT's in the minority - OTT (Open Train Times website) shows a call and so does liverail. Mind you, they all show slightly different times, as does RTT for the departure - and not just rounding the fractions either, it's whole minutes. Maybe that's telling me something about the data feeds, though I've no idea what.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2020, 17:47:20 »

If anyone returns on the 17:37 to Maidenhead (9-car Paignton IET (Intercity Express Train)) it was absolutely crush loaded in the back part of the train.  Coaches B and A much quieter though - two people stood up and a handful of seats available.  I know where I’d rather position myself!

lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2020, 19:12:46 »

"if I'd known how late I'd be I'd have got on the TfL» (Transport for London - about) train".

Isn't that the idea? Cancel the big bad GWRs (Great Western Railway) services, so that the oh-so wonderful Crossrail to Reading can be justified...  Wink
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2020, 19:28:28 »

"if I'd known how late I'd be I'd have got on the TfL» (Transport for London - about) train".

Isn't that the idea? Cancel the big bad GWRs (Great Western Railway) services, so that the oh-so wonderful Crossrail to Reading can be justified...  Wink

Whose idea? Not Network Rail's - they have wanted to get the semifasts off the Main Lines since long before Crossrail was was approved to go to Reading (and even long before Crossrail was approved full stop).
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2020, 09:19:25 »

All good today although again pretty much standing room only by Maidenhead in carriage 4 at least.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2020, 08:45:49 »

Seemed to be lots of cancellations today although the 06.54 from Twyford ran albeit late.

Not too crowded at Twyford as the Henley connection had broken down. I know it probably makes me a bad person but I gave a little smile as it meant I had a better chance of getting a seat.
sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #164 on: January 22, 2020, 07:59:03 »

7.07 cancelled again today.  Thats a 66% failure rate this week.  I dont know how to get the data, but wondering what is the cancellation (for whatever reason) rate of this service since the new timetable was introduced?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: