23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 04:11:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: 7.01 from Maidenhead to Paddington  (Read 70082 times)
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2019, 08:43:45 »

I took this service from TWY (Twyford station) this morning for the first time since it was converted to IET (Intercity Express Train) and it was a 9-car set so hopefully this is regular now. FC(resolve) was at the front so I went towards the rear. Cars A & B and the rear door of C were off the end of platform 4 so I boarded through the front of C and walked down to A where there was plenty of empty seats, even after calling at MAI (Maidenhead station).
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2019, 09:04:34 »

That's good news. I was at Ealing Broadway for the 1707 last night (cancelled, train fault)) and the 1720 was shortformed as a 3 car Turbo (another train fault). Managed to wedge myself on but it was packed beyond description and left many behind on the platform.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2019, 09:06:25 »

Interestingly it’s booked a 9-car for today only this week.  Rest of the week it’s a 5-car.  Perhaps a special event, or VIP, is being catered for later in the diagram?  Either way, don’t expect a 9-car next time sadly!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2019, 09:59:00 »

Ah well that answers my question about where to stand next week...
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2019, 13:41:31 »

Ah well that answers my question about where to stand next week...

On the roof?
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2019, 18:14:00 »

Beginning to feel like that isn't it?
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2019, 07:14:42 »

Out of interest what is the relative seated capacity for Standard Class only of a 6 car turbo vs a 5 car IET (Intercity Express Train) ?
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2019, 08:25:59 »

According to Wikipedia a 5 Car Set IET (Intercity Express Train) had 45 First Class, 270 Standard.

The Turbos don't appear to have seating capacity listed but according to Angel Trains (so there may be regional variations) a 165 has 264 std, 24 1st class seats per 3-car unit and 170 Std, 16 1st class seats per 2-car unit.

So quite a big reduction although chatting to some  passengers at Maidenhead who complained to GWR (Great Western Railway) they were told the IET was an improvement.

Twyford is starting to resemble Maidenhead now with a lot more jockeying for position and bad behaviour.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2019, 08:32:43 »

I think that the figure for first class IET (Intercity Express Train) seating is out of date.
45 First class seats was the original plan, but the GWR (Great Western Railway) units were downgraded to 36 first class seats.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2019, 08:41:59 »

I think that the figure for first class IET (Intercity Express Train) seating is out of date.
45 First class seats was the original plan, but the GWR (Great Western Railway) units were downgraded to 36 first class seats.

I'm not sure how that's a "downgrade". Squeezing three more first-class eats into the DPTF1 might be, though. If your unmet need is for a seat, especially a standard class one, both would be upgrades.

The current seating diagrams show 290+36.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2019, 09:35:08 »

I'm not sure how that's a "downgrade". Squeezing three more first-class eats into the DPTF1 might be, though. If your unmet need is for a seat, especially a standard class one, both would be upgrades.

The current seating diagrams show 290+36.

Broadgage always tries to shoehorn the words 'downgrade', 'DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)' and 'half-length' into every post.   Much like ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) usually manage to include 'bulldoze' at least once in their press releases.  Wink

Totals I believe are:

5-Car IET (Intercity Express Train) 290+36, total 324
9-Car IET 576+71, total 647

6-Car Turbo has a total of 477-528 depending on which layout it is formed of.

4-car 387 is 224
8-car 387 is 448
12-car 387 is 672

In the case of IETs and 387s all seats are spacious whereas the three abreast Turbo ones aren't, even if you're slim.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 10:13:54 by IndustryInsider » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2019, 12:00:29 »

There certainly are 'less than the best' classes of train covering some specific services in the Thames Valley at the moment: 5-carriage IETs (Intercity Express Train) on commuter stopping services from Oxford as here; 3-carriage turbos on Oxford fasts and the same running entirely under the wires to Reading etc. I don't doubt this is the best fit to the diagrams and what is available and capable of running, but is no consolation to those who have to bear the consequences. Maybe the jam will come tomorrow.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2019, 17:53:23 »

Broadgage always tries to shoehorn the words 'downgrade', 'DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)' and 'half-length' into every post.   Much like ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) usually manage to include 'bulldoze' at least once in their press releases.  Wink

Broadgage bingo, a game everyone can play. Who can be first to shout "IET (Intercity Express Train)" after getting all the above, plus short-form and buffet.  A bottle of port is first prize, and runner up gets a £5 voucher to spend on the IET trolley, assuming it ever gets to you of course.  Playing at least once daily, for the next 37 years.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2019, 20:46:58 »

In the case of IETs (Intercity Express Train) and 387s all seats are spacious

Except the ones with a door recess instead of a window. The wall seat on those seems very rarely to get taken, and for good reason.

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2019, 23:38:24 »

A little light relief,or main line fun from GWR (Great Western Railway) .
That nice young man with his beard,Mr Tim Dunn has been looking at the Maidenhead Bridge and its history On behalf Of GWR, do watch it to the end .

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=338647363723880&id=345127331805&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FMllir4GATV&_rdr.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: