10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 10:10:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[185] A daily picture from my recent travels
[65] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[56] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[54] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[49] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[46] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: 7.01 from Maidenhead to Paddington  (Read 70101 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2019, 06:49:04 »

0707 is running today (as I write this) but the 0715 & 0735 are cancelled (amongst many others this morning).

Quite a few now reinstated.  Not the 0735 though.  07:07 has left Oxford on time.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2019, 06:58:44 »

07:35 now reinstated.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2019, 07:12:13 »

Thank you for taking the time to pen such a lengthy reply. The context around knock on impact was particularly helpful.

There used to be such slack in the 7.08 service schedule that it would often arrive before 8am. Now it is apparently wound so tightly that a gnat will knock it off course. I still can’t see that as progress, but maybe it will bed down.

FWIW (for what it's worth), I write this from sat in the luggage rack of the 7.02.  I reckon it arrived today with maybe 5 seats free per carriage and is back to ‘crush loaded’. The 7.07 may follow soon after but it takes a lot for passengers to decide not to board a train right in front of them. Again, maybe this will even out over time but having two days of problems on the 7.07 already have cast its die for my fellow commuters.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2019, 07:39:31 »

It was pretty good today, got slowed slightly on the approach waiting the 07:02 to depart in fact.  Five minutes late into Paddington due to the speed restriction at Slough. 

Perhaps take the ‘risk’ of waiting tomorrow if it’s looking good?  It would be good to know how it’s loading.  If it’s left Reading within a minute or two of it’s booked time, which you’d know by the time the 07:02 would be leaving then it’s unlikely there will be a problem. 

I can understand the reticence of doing so mind you.

lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2019, 07:48:45 »

FWIW (for what it's worth), I write this from sat in the luggage rack of the 7.02.  I reckon it arrived today with maybe 5 seats free per carriage and is back to ‘crush loaded’. The 7.07 may follow soon after but it takes a lot for passengers to decide not to board a train right in front of them. Again, maybe this will even out over time but having two days of problems on the 7.07 already have cast its die for my fellow commuters.

I was on this from Goring at 06:32 due to the 06:45 being cancelled past Reading (why?). I was in carriage 1 and seating wise, it was 50% full when it left Reading. At Twyford, was as good as 100% full - I could only see 2 empty seats.

As it left Maidenhead, it was full and standing in all carriages, the ones towards the back which stop next to the stairs being very full as every one tried to cram on.

There were several people waiting for the following service on Platform 2, and did not even attempt to board.

Any why did they only extend the platforms to take 10 carriages, when they obviously knew they would be increasing to 12?! The front 7 already suffer extra loading due to mainly being the ones most accessable at the prior stations, and then at one of the busiest loading points, they can still not get into all carriages from the platform.

I've avoided coming in all week so far, because I just knew it would be a mess. On Monday I wanted to get a train to Pangbourne, but the one I would have gotten back was cancelled. Yesterday I tried to get a different train to Pangborne - it was cancelled. Today I tried to get what will be my usual train to Maidenhead, it was cancelled past Reading. So much for progress....

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2019, 07:57:53 »

The 06:45 from Goring ran as usual in the end, I don’t know for sure, as I’m not at work, but I am guessing defective track was found at Slough, but a patch up was made so in the end a whole host of trains shown as cancelled were altered back to running as normal (with minimal delays slowing through Slough).

It was reinstated at 06:32 on the systems, so too late for most Thames Valley commuters who had got the earlier train, which of course is the 07:02 from Maidenhead - that may go some way to explaining why that was packed solid today?

lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2019, 08:11:58 »

The 06:45 from Goring ran as usual in the end, I don’t know for sure, as I’m not at work, but I am guessing defective track was found at Slough, but a patch up was made so in the end a whole host of trains shown as cancelled were altered back to running as normal (with minimal delays slowing through Slough).

It was reinstated at 06:32 on the systems, so too late for most Thames Valley commuters who had got the earlier train, which of course is the 07:02 from Maidenhead - that may go some way to explaining why that was packed solid today?

Thanks for the info, as always II. Thankfully I am not coming in anymore until the New Year, so will see what its like then!
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2019, 08:44:09 »

I made one of my now very irregular work journeys into PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) from TWY (Twyford station) this morning catching the 06:54 (07:02 from MAI (Maidenhead station)). The 06:48 was cancelled which might have accounted for any extra passengers. However I boarded in coach 8, the rearmost with opening doors at TWY, and walked down to coach 11 where there was only about 3 or 4 passengers already there. After the MAI stop it got rather busier but it was still only about half full. From what others are saying it looks like the train was much busier further forward?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2019, 12:49:27 »

Thanks for that BBM - presumably coach 12 on the 07:02 was the same as coach 11?  That’s the place to head for the best chance of a seat then?  It would be good if Nick and others can try that part of the train to see whether it is usually like that.

sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2019, 12:54:01 »

Thanks for that BBM - presumably coach 12 on the 07:02 was the same as coach 11?  That’s the place to head for the best chance of a seat then?  It would be good if Nick and others can try that part of the train to see whether it is usually like that.

I was towards the back this am, probably coach 11 or 10, I wasnt counting.  It was full and standing from Maidenhead.  Didn't get a seat.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2019, 12:57:41 »

I was at the back this am, probably coach 11 or 10, I wasnt counting.  It was full and standing.  Didn't get a seat.

It was probably coach 10. I wish now I'd taken a photo of coach 11 as proof! At MAI (Maidenhead station) i'd say that more people walked past me into coach 12 than sat down in coach 11 but I'd guess it was just as quiet - presumably if it'd been busy then those people would have returned to coach 11 to grab the empty seats.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2019, 13:10:08 »

Sanfrandragon if you could perhaps also try 11 and 12 next time you catch it?  I’m not suggesting everyone will get a seat by any means but the better spread out everyone is the better.

Many times I’ve seen trains packed at one end with plenty of seats at the other - hardly anyone moves down even when announcements are made on the train!  I guess for 20 minutes some don’t think it’s worth it?

sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2019, 14:06:58 »

I was at the back this am, probably coach 11 or 10, I wasnt counting.  It was full and standing.  Didn't get a seat.

It was probably coach 10. I wish now I'd taken a photo of coach 11 as proof! At MAI (Maidenhead station) i'd say that more people walked past me into coach 12 than sat down in coach 11 but I'd guess it was just as quiet - presumably if it'd been busy then those people would have returned to coach 11 to grab the empty seats.

Good intel thanks, I'll try right at the back tomorrow.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2019, 15:22:22 »

I’ll give it a bash tomorrow. I reckon I was in coach 8 or 9 (standing where I used to pick up Coach G of the old IET (Intercity Express Train))
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2019, 15:46:12 »

Any why did they only extend the platforms to take 10 carriages, when they obviously knew they would be increasing to 12?! The front 7 already suffer extra loading due to mainly being the ones most accessable at the prior stations, and then at one of the busiest loading points, they can still not get into all carriages from the platform.

I should imagine that will be down to who was paying for the extensions.  At Maidenhead Crossrail will have paid as they need to get their 9-car 345s to fit.  They’re roughly the same length as ten coaches worth of 387.  The number of longer formations of 387s or IETs (Intercity Express Train) operated by GWR (Great Western Railway) is small - i.e. not an all day operation like at Slough, so I expect nobody wanted to cough up any more money.

That being said, the down relief platform at Maidenhead (and Twyford) are both good for 12-car 387s, so at least all doors open on the way home!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: