Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:15:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: 7.01 from Maidenhead to Paddington  (Read 70299 times)
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 09:17:29 »

Is this the same train that runs in the evening to Oxford, arriving at Maidenhead at 1740?

I happened to be at Maidenhead earlier last night, and the 1740 was delayed and I noticed it was an IET (Intercity Express Train) instead of the old turbo. I did check RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) but it still had it down as a 165/166, so I wasn't sure - but seeing this today made me wonder if the turbo had been swapped for the IET permanently (or at least for this time table change).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 09:43:39 »

That Oxford bound one is now booked for a 9-car IET (Intercity Express Train).  It ran about 8 minutes late from Maidenhead onwards yesterday evening, because of problems not related to the train.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 10:42:08 »

Thank you II (as always!) - might try it out tonight  Smiley
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 21:25:23 »

Thank you II (as always!) - might try it out tonight  Smiley

Did you?  It arrived Maidenhead 4 minutes early tonight, start to stop in 18 minutes.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 08:03:54 »

Did you?  It arrived Maidenhead 4 minutes early tonight, start to stop in 18 minutes.

I did indeed - my first time on an IET (Intercity Express Train) - and I see what everyone says about the seats - I thought the 387's were bad! Was not to badly loaded when it left Maidenhead (which surprised me given the earlier delays and cancellations), I was in coach H, but it was rammed solid at Reading. Might try further along the train next time I catch it. Given me a nice option for summers though - I couldn't stand the Turbo heat anymore!
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 08:21:49 »

Been away so a bit of a surprise to see a 5 car IET (Intercity Express Train) pull in at Twyford.

I use to take the view that billions of pounds of investment had made no difference to my commute. Now I think its safe to say billions of pounds later it is far, far worse.

Absolutely packed and from some of the shouting I could hear not even sure everyone got on a Maidenhead. Talking to some of my fellow travellers many had already written to GWR (Great Western Railway) to complain and been told it represented an increase in seats compared to the Turbo. And the train companies wonder why nobody likes them.

Seriously how can they think this is a sensible idea? As sanfrandragon says the layout makes it far worse with long delays on boarding/disembarking. I also noticed that many of the people standing had nothing to hold onto other than the tops of seats as presumably the IET weren't designed with the aim of everyone standing.

And this is only the Tuesday after a bank holiday with some schools away...

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 08:47:38 »

Quite a few cancellations between Reading - Paddington this morning due to overhead wire problems, perhaps that made the 0701 busier than usual?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 09:00:39 »

I think it’ll be a more consistent 12-car 387 service for fasts from Twyford/Maidenhead from December, (along with the TfL» (Transport for London - about) Rail stoppers) but until then a 5-car IET (Intercity Express Train) seems to be the best they can provide.  Some 387s are in for Heathrow mods and less Turbos are about.

Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2019, 09:01:28 »

Most of the fast trains still seemed to be running but could be a factor although I'd probably see that off set by more people than usual being away.

Talking to a few people though they said it had been the same all last week.

If you lost or declassified the 1 and half carriages of first class then the IET (Intercity Express Train) would probably be fine.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2019, 11:02:42 »

If you lost or declassified the 1 and half carriages of first class then the IET (Intercity Express Train) would probably be fine.

That’s only another 30 something seats, even if none of them are occupied by first class passengers.

Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2019, 11:43:52 »

That’s only another 30 something seats, even if none of them are occupied by first class passengers.

Is that all? I assumed it would be more but I think then there's going to be a lot of unhappy passengers at Maidenhead/Twyford.

Be interesting to see if people start reserving seats (which I'm guessing you can do now as its an IET?) as I think that will only make things worse.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 11:46:42 »

Is that all? I assumed it would be more but I think then there's going to be a lot of unhappy passengers at Maidenhead/Twyford.
The '1' coach of first class you are referring to also contains the kitchen, Train Manager's office, space for 2 wheelchairs and a accessible toilet so there actually only a few First class seats in this coach.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2019, 19:41:26 »

The new 7.01 formation has pushed even more passengers on to the 7.08 which was spacious for a while following its conversion from HST (High Speed Train) to 9 car IET (Intercity Express Train).

I am in full agreement that the 7.01 is grossly overcrowded and that the situation has worsened since the retirement of the Turbo.  It needs to be a 9 car urgently.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2019, 06:31:26 »

A warning that the 07:08 is also a 5-car this morning.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2019, 06:42:24 »

Update:  it’s terminated at Oxford anyway due to problems at Hayes.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: