17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 05:56:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: 7.01 from Maidenhead to Paddington  (Read 70086 times)
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2019, 10:39:02 »

ah - that makes sense. Glad its not going to be a regular occurrence as as you say it has quite a big knock on effect to other services.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2019, 10:46:54 »

ah - that makes sense. Glad its not going to be a regular occurrence as as you say it has quite a big knock on effect to other services.

Big? Two trains were five minutes or less late at Twyford and Maidenhead; both were back on time into Paddington. Was there anything else?
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2019, 12:48:32 »

Well you yourself said even a couple of minutes delay impacts at least two trains. It also doesn't seem to take much to knock the whole timetable off kilter but I was mainly looking at the 06.53 which is regularly slightly late in Paddington. Even a couple of minutes each day starts to get tedious on a regular commute especially on a train that is so crowded.

Still it was a one off so crisis averted.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2019, 18:58:51 »

The announcers at Maidenhead have, this week, taken a new approach to managing the 7.01 - ‘Project Fear’ 😁

The arrival of the 7.01 is now preceded by a del station that it is ‘extremely busy and full and standing and formed of only 5 coaches’. Instead of boarding customers should move to platform 2 for the 7.08 ‘which has 9 coaches’.

This has had the effect of making the 7.08 ‘full and standing’ so no gain there. Maybe I’ll start a thread about the 7.08...

They also managed to balls this up on Tuesday when the 7.08 was shortformed resulting in the 7.01 leaving relatively empty and the 7.08 leaving passengers on the platform. Slow hand clap.

I’m curious about how the announcer knows that it is full and standing in advance. Does the train manager call ahead or, as I suspect, the announcer is making it up as he goes?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2019, 13:53:27 »

I expect they're just trying to help even out the number of people over the two trains as best as possible until the improvements in December?  Two very full trains is better than one incredibly full train and one full train I suppose?  Not a bad thing, unless the 07:08 is a 5-car.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2019, 14:06:38 »

I did wonder if there had been some changes at Maidenhead as the number of people waiting and then standing has seemed slightly less than usual. I assumed they'd just declassified first class and everyone was stood there.

I think its was Wednesday when the 06.43 at Twyford was cancelled/delayed/evaporated which meant the 06.53/07.01 was completely packed even before it arrived at Maidenhead.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2019, 17:44:41 »

I expect they're just trying to help even out the number of people over the two trains as best as possible until the improvements in December? 

There speaks an optimist!  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2019, 17:59:27 »

I’m curious about how the announcer knows that it is full and standing in advance. Does the train manager call ahead or, as I suspect, the announcer is making it up as he goes?

Don't the IETs (Intercity Express Train) have systems for monitoring the relative loading in carriages - be that weight or numbers through the doors.  A bit of automatic calculation on there will suggest an answer, as well as feeding the new information systems which are starting to show which carriages are best to join.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2019, 18:23:05 »

I expect they're just trying to help even out the number of people over the two trains as best as possible until the improvements in December? 

There speaks an optimist!  Smiley

Quite optimistic about this one, as the 07:01 5-car IET (Intercity Express Train) becomes an 07:02 formed by a 12-car 387.  Tongue

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2019, 08:55:24 »

Don't the IETs (Intercity Express Train) have systems for monitoring the relative loading in carriages - be that weight or numbers through the doors.  A bit of automatic calculation on there will suggest an answer, as well as feeding the new information systems which are starting to show which carriages are best to join.

IETs do have that facility based on a counting system.  There’s also advanced plans to provide real-time data to staff (and passengers) based on mobile phone signals.  I believe this is the research scheme:

https://ts.catapult.org.uk/current-projects/railwatch/

https://gtr.ukri.org/projects?ref=103968

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2019, 09:42:32 »

What was specified for IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) came in two parts. The counting system per se was required to count people through the doors, both on/off and between coaches, to give occupancy per coach to 5% or one person. The result of that was to be available on board in the TMS, and remotely at control.

The second part was a single sentence within the passenger information spcification: "The PIS (Passenger Information System) must utilise the data from the passenger counting system to indicate to passengers within the IEP Train the status of the occupancy of each IEP Vehicle." I don't think that exists - at least I've never noticed it. In which case it's hard to tell whether tthe counting system itself is operational.

It would make sense to have something that puts loading information on line, or in stations, etc., drawing its data from whatever sources there are. Presumably a built-in counter should be better than one installed on a few platforms, and counting phones might (or might not - lots of assumptions there) be quite good as well, and in any case be cheaper to implement widely. But note - that's a "should", not a "will".
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2019, 09:49:54 »

‘Occupancy’ columns have started to appear on industry systems, though not yet populated with any data, indicating that implementation for some trains at least is imminent.

Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2019, 19:55:46 »

Wrong way round today again  (or opposite from how its been for the last couple of months).

Highlighted how unsuitable these trains are for this route as most of the platform all tried to board through the same two doors to avoid First Class.

Roll on December
sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2019, 09:08:16 »

IETs do have that facility based on a counting system.  There’s also advanced plans to provide real-time data to staff (and passengers) based on mobile phone signals.  I believe this is the research scheme:

https://ts.catapult.org.uk/current-projects/railwatch/

https://gtr.ukri.org/projects?ref=103968

I note that many people nowadays have 2 phones, presumably one for work and one for personal use.  Carriages are going to seem very overcrowded if occupancy is measured by phone signal!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2019, 12:06:57 »

I guess there will be some kind of allowance averaged out for the likely percentage of people with no phone and those with more than one device.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: