27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 06:35:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Going to the (horse) races by train  (Read 6488 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 25, 2018, 07:54:05 »

I came across this page that lists over 50 horse race venues (courses?) together with their nearest station.  Link pasted here in case any members or guests (lots of people find us on the search engines  Cheesy ) interested.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/nonrail/sport_horse_racing.aspx

Any of our members go horse racing?  Good day out?   Alternative to the Pony Painting Party trend that is raising so much notice at the moment?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 08:10:44 »

An acquaintance of mine here in Bath seems to spend much of his life going by train to see horse racing. Almost every time I've caught a Paddington bound train he has been on it, heading to one or other of the courses over that way.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 09:24:40 »

I don't have much time for a 'sport' which results in the deaths of 160 competitors a year.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 10:00:18 »

I don't have much time for a 'sport' which results in the deaths of 160 competitors a year.

Totally agree ... even more disgust at the greyhounds ... but don't get me going on that one.    Having said which, much of my horror is from the outside having not learned / researched into the detail and relying on passed-on evidence.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 11:00:57 »

I know that Newbury racecourse has its own station and a quick check on national rail suggests that trains stop there every day, so presumably it does serve more than just the races, so why does the page Grahame linked to say "01.2.1 Non-Rail Location Accordian - Nearest Station" for Newbury? I'm also wondering how accessible some of the others are once you've got of the train – I know Bath racecourse is quite a way out if you're walking, but it's near the park & ride so presumably has decent bus service. In contrast, I remember passing Sandown Park – I think it was Sandown Park – and it is in the middle of town, which I'd have thought is not a usual racecourse location.

Apart from that, I was once on a train to Ashchurch and the ticket inspector was joking with some men in their 60s who she evidently saw regularly, they were on their way to the racing at Worcester.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 11:04:03 »

Windsor Races is good fun on a summer evening - I was never that keen on the gee gees but it's one of those sports that whilst crap to watch on TV, it's a good atmosphere when you're there in person with a few pals.

As for the dogs..................I've been going to them for years!  Smiley
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 11:11:19 »

I know that Newbury racecourse has its own station and a quick check on national rail suggests that trains stop there every day, so presumably it does serve more than just the races, so why does the page Grahame linked to say "01.2.1 Non-Rail Location Accordian - Nearest Station" for Newbury?
It is odd, because the link even goes to Newbury Racecourse Station. The regular service is augmented on racedays either by additional stops on the expresses or shuttles to Reading, depending on how big they are.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 11:24:15 »

I agree, if humans wish to risk their lives in dangerous pursuits that is their choice.
Horses, greyhounds and other animals get no choice.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 11:25:19 »

Cheltenham racecourse is not just served by Cheltenham Spa. There is a Cheltenham Racecourse station although the thing is, that's part of the Glos Warks Steam Railway but is very handy for the race days if you live in Toddington or Broadway now.😀
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 11:36:51 »

Cheltenham racecourse is not just served by Cheltenham Spa. There is a Cheltenham Racecourse station although the thing is, that's part of the Glos Warks Steam Railway but is very handy for the race days if you live in Toddington or Broadway now.😀

Definitely a nice ride as well. Cheltenham has had the same system for years now and I’m surprised that some of the shuttles do not leave from Gloucester, exiting the station there is less traffic, then up to the M5 it would not be as long.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 12:30:26 »

The list of courses appears to be incomplete. For example, Newton Abbot has one, and a station not far away.

Does anyone know about what appears to be a race course that lies next to the railway line between Trowbridge and Bradford on Avon, by the disused link to the Trans Wilts line close to Staverton village? (I'm pretty sure it is there rather than by the other triangular link between Trowbridge and Westbury). I must have passed it hundreds of times on rail journeys, but have never seen any activity on it, not a single person or animal.

Oh and I completely agree with the comments expressed about the cruelty of the sport.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 12:37:19 »

I agree, if humans wish to risk their lives in dangerous pursuits that is their choice.
Horses, greyhounds and other animals get no choice.

Those animals don't get much choice when they're taken to the abattoir to provide you with food either  (although racehorses get treated a great deal better throughout their lives)........ironically though, they are transported to the abattoir in far more tightly regulated conditions in respect of overcrowding than those "enjoyed" by those of us on GWR (Great Western Railway) trains! 🙂
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 12:44:17 »

I know that Newbury racecourse has its own station and a quick check on national rail suggests that trains stop there every day, so presumably it does serve more than just the races, so why does the page Grahame linked to say "01.2.1 Non-Rail Location Accordian - Nearest Station" for Newbury? I'm also wondering how accessible some of the others are once you've got of the train – I know Bath racecourse is quite a way out if you're walking, but it's near the park & ride so presumably has decent bus service. In contrast, I remember passing Sandown Park – I think it was Sandown Park – and it is in the middle of town, which I'd have thought is not a usual racecourse location.

Apart from that, I was once on a train to Ashchurch and the ticket inspector was joking with some men in their 60s who she evidently saw regularly, they were on their way to the racing at Worcester.

A dedicated bus service runs from Bath (railway / bus stations which adjoin each other) on race days to the racecourse public entrance.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 12:52:36 »

The list of courses appears to be incomplete. For example, Newton Abbot has one, and a station not far away.

Does anyone know about what appears to be a race course that lies next to the railway line between Trowbridge and Bradford on Avon, by the disused link to the Trans Wilts line close to Staverton village? (I'm pretty sure it is there rather than by the other triangular link between Trowbridge and Westbury). I must have passed it hundreds of times on rail journeys, but have never seen any activity on it, not a single person or animal.

Oh and I completely agree with the comments expressed about the cruelty of the sport.

I think what you see is land on which race horses are trained, there is also a similar feature on land between Yeovil and Castle Cary on the left as you are progressing from Yeovil to CC.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 13:20:19 »

Round our way, Ascot is the obvious example of a high-street racecourse - literally, as it's closer than the station is to either. Overlooking the road next to Wokingham station, I also get the entertainment of Royal Ascot, especially on Ladies' Day and the Saturday. All those overdressed ladies, and often in family groups with equally overdressed but rather more sheepish menfolk. Being family groups there is often an element of reluctance too.

Even more entertaining, though only to watch, is the same groups coming back. Unsteady, dishevelled, with redder faces, often hatless (that'll cost you, sir) and with the women carrying their shoes but still tottering. (Personally I detest high heels, and quite why anyone thinks wearing them to a racecourse could make sense baffles me. And that's before you think about that footpath from the station! qv)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 16:19:32 by stuving » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: