Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:53:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • RailFuture National Conference: November 10, 2018
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 10th November 2018 - RailFuture National Conference, Reading  (Read 7390 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 18:19:58 »

Good to see five members there ... meet a couple of new faces.

I'm currently on the infamous 17:36 from Swindon - not too infamous now that it's two carriages.  No less than 84 passengers on board and it's a Saturday ...  Feels very rewarding / job done ... a train that didn't exist five years ago ...

112 on the train off Swindon Chippenham ... 31 off and 6 on at Melksham so that's 118/37.   Been in a conference all day - excellent speakers, but warm and a bit cramped.  Out for a walk ... back on later I expect.

Edit - 112 was off Chippenham not off Swindon - corrected.  It was 84 off Swindon.   An estimate of between 15 and 20 got off at Chippenham, so that means that around 50 to 55 got on there - impossible to count these days without someone on the platform, perhaps even at each door.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 06:26:01 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 08:42:01 »

It's all about the group / the members.   I know that at least five of us were there yesterday ... and I managed to get four of us together for a group photo.    Good to see you, gentlemen.   I found the whole day very useful ... and increasingly I see Coffee Shop represented by a significant scattering of member in all sorts of events and places.  And remember - it's you folks who make it ...

I had a one line acceptance speech imposed on me by the chair who knows how I can go on.   I chose (snap decision; I was not pre-alerted to our success on this one) to tell the wider audience about the Coffee Shop and get them to pick up flyers in the tea break.   What I SHOULD have done is the big "Thank you to ..." speech, but that would have gone way beyond a single line anyway ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 10:25:51 »

I know that at least five of us were there yesterday ... and I managed to get four of us together for a group photo.

I think bobm was raiding the buffet at the time
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 12:08:19 »

That’s only partly true.  I thought we were doing the photo downstairs where the light was better.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 12:19:20 »

That’s only partly true.  I thought we were doing the photo downstairs where the light was better.

You only raided part of the buffet then..... Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2018, 12:21:52 »

Being the fussy eater I am that’s quite correct.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 17:24:35 »

Another award for the Coffee Shop?

Well done to the team!  Grin Grin Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2018, 22:14:13 »

Press release from RailFuture

Rail User Group award winners

Winners of Railfuture's annual Rail User Group Awards have just been announced. Now in their seventh year, the awards were presented at Railfuture's annual national autumn conference in Reading by Vice-President Stewart Palmer.

“The judges were so impressed with the nominations this year that they decided to make two Special Awards” said awards organiser Roger Blake. “The Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway won their award, received by Chairman Danny Woodward, for reopening their heritage service into Princes Risborough mainline station in mid-August.  West Coast Railways were recognised for launching their special loco-hauled ‘Lakelander’ service for Windermere.  In a couple of weeks in June when Northern withdrew all their services, they carried 17,000 passengers in just that fortnight.”

The judging panel of Railfuture Vice-Presidents drew on the expertise of well-known industry figures such as Ian Brown CBE FCILT and Paul Abell, and included Railfuture’s honorary president Christian Wolmar.

The Clara Zilahi Award for best campaigner was won by Graham Collett, co-Vice-Chair of Yorkshire branch, who was visited by Ian Brown.  The award specifically paid tribute to Graham’s lead on behalf of Railfuture in responses to two important consultations, both by the Office of Rail and Road.  The first was on Improving Assisted Travel, leading to his subsequent participation by invitation in a follow-on ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) workshop on the subject.  The second response was on the impact of the May timetable on Northern and TransPennine services and their passengers, and again an invitation for Railfuture to participate in a workshop on the ORR’s interim report and contribute to their final report.

The Oliver Lovell Award for best new group was won by the South East Wales and West of England Business Link (SEWWEB) with its campaign to develop the connectivity of a corridor via Bristol between Newport and Weston-super-Mare.

The best newsletter award winner was ‘Track Record’ from the Huddersfield Penistone Sheffield Rail Users’ Association. Vice-president Paul Abell, a former editor of Rail Professional magazine, was so impressed that he visited their Chairman in person.

The award for best campaign went to the Hastings & Rother Rail Users’ Alliance (six local RUGs» (Rail User Group - about), including four affiliated to Railfuture) for ‘The Eastbourne Overlap’, an innovative timetable solution to the proposed split of the through Brighton-Ashford hourly 2-car diesel service at Hastings in May negotiated with GTR.  The replacement 4-car electric from Brighton runs to Hastings as planned, but the 2-car diesel from Ashford continues west of Hastings to Eastbourne – ‘The Eastbourne Overlap’ – thereby increasing the previous 3tph service between Eastbourne and Hastings, via Bexhill, to 4tph.  The HRRUA members are Ore Transport Group, MarshLink Action Group, Three Oaks and Winchelsea Action on Rail Transport, St. Leonards & Hastings Rail Improvement Programme, Bexhill Rail Action Group, and the Normans Bay Residents Association.

The best website award went to the Great Western Coffee Shop – a virtual online rail user group and forum run by a group of GWR (Great Western Railway) customers with three active administrators, and a further nine moderators!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: