Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:31:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A UK wide rail holiday - when will services be reliable enough?  (Read 1141 times)
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: September 02, 2018, 09:49:35 »

18 months ago I posted about my intention to make use of the All Line Rover ticket to celebrate my 65th birthday. Unfortunately that didn't work out, mainly due to too many commitments leading to time constraints, but it is still my intention to do so in the near future, to have a good look round Britain and get to know some of the rail network I've never seen.

However, one reason why I've not gone ahead so far is that the last 18 months seem to have been particularly badly affected by combinations of line closures for weeks on end; many other partial closures or detours caused by maintenance or electrification; numerous cancellations for many reasons, especially lack of crew and faulty trains or track; and strikes in many TOCs (Train Operating Company). And not to mention many services that do run being subject to serious delays.

Obviously there will never be a time when a 100% UK (United Kingdom) wide service is likely to run, but I would prefer a little more certainty that most services will run and reasonably on time before committing to a considerable expenditure.

So this is a genuine question. If you were looking into the next 2 years, can you see any time when the general level of service is likely to be improved sufficiently to encourage someone like me to commit myself to spending the money on this?

In terms of actual timing, I would avoid August, due to the school holidays, and mid winter, but would otherwise be willing to travel at any other time from February to November.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 10:30:46 »

My personal preference for going on an ALR (All Line Rover) trip is June.   Fair chance of decent weather, children are still at school so accommodation prices are lower and less crowded trains.   Early July is a possibility but most Scottish schools have broken up by then.

As to how to avoid engineering work.... I am not so sure!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 10:37:55 »

Unless you want to visit somewhere specific that is likely to be affected by works, for example Great Yarmouth in late October, then as long as you plan a little defensively (sensible even when times are better) then I see no reason why you couldn’t go for it now to be honest.

You can look at threads on the forum and get a bit of a false impression about how bad it is, but with a Rover you have the ability and flexibility to adapt your journey plans on the fly in most instances.

I’ve made several Rover style days of travel using the staff facilities afforded to me this year and haven’t really come unstuck so far - the worst being a last minute GWR (Great Western Railway) evening cancellation from Cheltenham which meant a one hour late arrival home.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 12:45:11 »

Agree - anytime from next week to before half-term looks good - accommodation prices are dropping like a stone over the next few weeks & you've still got the daylight....otherwise as bobm says, next June, after half-term....
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 12:56:08 »

I'd suggest going sometime between 1923 and 1937, otherwise quite frankly as much as I love rail travel, I'd probably take a coach tour nowadays if service reliability was paramount.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 13:22:49 »

I have one planned for early October and am fairly confident about it (except the 0830 Sunday train from Trowbridge to Swindon).  However I am avoiding Northern and GTR.  I also have backstop arrangements for those services about which I have less confidence.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 16:32:44 »

I have one planned for early October and am fairly confident about it (except the 0830 Sunday train from Trowbridge to Swindon). 

Getting better ... perhaps because we keep reminding GWR (Great Western Railway) that this train is getting busier and used year round by people who have no other way of getting to work  Grin Grin -

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: