Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:12 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:48 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 06:46:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Conf., Western Powerhous: September 10, 2018
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Conference on future for the Bristol, Bath, Cardiff & Newport area  (Read 981 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 03, 2018, 11:04:31 »

From my mailbox

Dear

I hope you won’t mind this final reminder about the above seminar, taking place in Newport on Monday, 10th September 2018, but you don’t currently appear to be represented, and I do believe the issues being discussed will be of interest.

Please note there is a charge for most delegates, although concessionary and complimentary places are available (subject to terms and conditions - see below).

The focus:
This timely seminar will bring together policymakers and key stakeholders to examine priorities for improving connectivity, increasing inward investment and tackling barriers to economic growth in Bath, Bristol, Cardiff and Newport following the Secretary of State for Wales’ call for the cities to form a ‘Western Powerhouse’.

To note:
The agenda includes keynote contributions from Rt Hon Alun Cairns MP (Member of Parliament), Secretary of State for Wales, UK (United Kingdom) Government; Tim Bowles, Metro Mayor of the West of England; Councillor Russell Goodway, Cabinet Member for Investment and Development, Cardiff Council and Councillor Tim Warren, Leader, Bath and North East Somerset Council.

The context:
Consideration of how the ‘Western Powerhouse’ might work alongside other economic development strategies such as the Cardiff Capital Region City Deal and the West of England Growth Deal;
The impending abolition of the tolls for the Severn Bridge at the end of 2018, and the opportunity this presents to economies in the region to deepen economic ties and develop a regional response to already established ‘powerhouses’ - such as the Midlands Engine and the Northern Powerhouse - in other parts of the UK; and
The seminar also comes as the Welsh Government considers whether to move forward with the proposed M4 relief road around Newport.

Key discussion points:
Establishing a shared vision for a ‘Western Powerhouse’ and to secure effective governance and build productive partnerships;
Supporting economic development across the region, identifying areas where the economies in the region share similarity and opportunities for key sectors such as advanced manufacturing, the creative industries and tech sector;   
Assessing examples of best practice for establishing regional partnerships from other areas of the UK;
Priority improvements to digital and transport infrastructure - as well as housing provision in the region - in order to increase connectivity, deepen economic ties and develop the conditions for increased economic growth to support business and communities; and
Meeting the skills needs of key sectors - in the context of two different education systems - and the way ahead for fostering partnerships and increased collaboration between industry and universities to better promote research and innovation.

Speakers:
Keynotes: Rt Hon Alun Cairns MP, Secretary of State for Wales, UK Government; Tim Bowles, Metro Mayor of the West of England; Councillor Russell Goodway, Cabinet Member for Investment and Development, Cardiff Council and Councillor Tim Warren, Leader, Bath and North East Somerset Council.

Further confirmed speakers include: Katharine Finn, Regional Leader, West & Wales, PwC; David Hoare, PR (Public Relations) and Communications Leader, GE Aviation Wales; Edward Hunt, Director, Openreach Cymru; Ben Lucas, Managing Director, Metro Dynamics; Chris Meadows, Head of Open Innovation, IQE; Tony Norris, Partner, Geldards; Dan Okey, Regional Development Manager, Great Western Railway; Sara Pepper, Director, Creative Economy, Creative Cardiff; Dr Sarah Perkins, Director, GW4 and Alexander Renggli, Chairman, Association of Economic Representatives and Counsellor and Head, Economic, Finance, Science & Innovation Section, Embassy of Switzerland.

Chair: Mark Reckless AM.

Additional senior participants are being approached.

Networking:
Places have been reserved by officials from the Competition and Markets Authority; Development Bank of Wales and the Welsh Government. Also due to attend are representatives from ABP South Wales; Arup; Bath Spa University; Burges Salmon; Caerphilly County Borough Council; Childs and Sulzmann Architects; CIPD; Gloucester City Council; Grant Thornton; Greaves Brewster; GW4; Hill Dickinson; Hoare Lea; Indepen; Institute of Directors; Integrated Transport Planning; Knight Frank; Linc-Cymru Housing Association; Monmouthshire County Council; Network Rail; North Bristol SusCom; Qualifications Wales; South Gloucestershire Council; The Bristol Port Company and UK Youth Parliament.

A press pass has been reserved by a representative from South Wales Argus.

Agenda:
See below my signature, or click here any time to download the latest version.
Organised impartially by the Westminster Business Forum and the Policy Forum for Wales (find out more).
CPD certified (more details). Follow us @WBFEvents @PFWEvents for live updates.

Booking arrangements

Online booking form.

Once submitted, this will be taken as a confirmed booking and will be subject to our terms and conditions below.

Please pay in advance by credit card on 01344 864796. If advance credit card payment is not possible, please let me know and we may be able to make other arrangements.

Options and charges:
Places at Developing the ‘Western Powerhouse’ - the future for the Bristol, Bath, Cardiff and Newport area (including refreshments and PDF copy of the transcripts) are £230 plus VAT (Value Added Tax);
Concessionary rate places (see conditions): £85 plus VAT. Please be sure to apply for this at the time of booking.

Can’t attend?
Full transcript available approximately 12 days after the event for £95 plus VAT;
Concessionary rate: £50 plus VAT.

If you find the charge for places a barrier to attending, please let me know as concessionary and complimentary places are made available in certain circumstances (but do be advised that this typically applies to individual service users or carers or the like who are not supported by or part of an organisation, full-time students, people between jobs or who are fully retired with no paid work, and representatives of small charities - not businesses, individuals funded by an organisation, or larger charities/not-for-profit companies). Please note terms and conditions below (including cancellation charges).

I do hope that you will be able to join us for what promises to be a most useful morning, and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely

Peter

Peter van Gelder
Director, Westminster Business Forum

I have ... misgivings ... about elements of conferences such as this.  I'm posting it here to inform members.  It starts "I hope you won’t mind this final reminder about the above seminar, taking place in Newport on Monday, 10th September 2018, but you don’t currently appear to be represented, and I do believe the issues being discussed will be of interest." and whilst the issues being discussed are of undoubted interest, I question whether this is the most effective use of time or funds.   My decision is "other things to do" but others may make a different decision.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: