No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
20:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 21:37:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Absence of Ticket Inspections on HSS  (Read 9907 times)
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2018, 22:27:07 »

I have been traveling fairly frequently recently and I have noticed how a ticket inspection is something that I find myself not expecting anymore.

I never seem to end up with a Ticket Examiner in front set of a 10 car train, nor does the train manager ever seem to check tickets, especially in first class.

Is it just me or is anyone else noticing this?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 04:29:19 »

I have been traveling fairly frequently recently and I have noticed how a ticket inspection is something that I find myself not expecting anymore.

I never seem to end up with a Ticket Examiner in front set of a 10 car train, nor does the train manager ever seem to check tickets, especially in first class.

Is it just me or is anyone else noticing this?

We may habitually expect to have our tickets checked on each journey - and indeed that gives us a chance to interact with a member of staff to make enquiries / ask questions.   However, it may be a habit we can break (and w should not feel cheated if our ticket is not checked on the journey.

Looking at my "local" IET (Intercity Express Train) run ... Bristol, Bath Spa, Chippenham, Didcot, Reading and (for the most part) Paddington are all gated. So ticket checks there.   For sure, such a system is fuzzy around the edges when you look at connections made inside the gated areas, and lack of checking that people who have gone though the gates are in the right part of the train ... but most people are basically honest, and the occasional extra check in those fuzzy areas is probably far more financially sensible that a routine extra check on people who have for the most part been checked anyway.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 10:39:56 »

Been checked recently on North Downs Line, and Reading - Paddington "stopper". Rarely done on Hungerford - Reading on Saturdays, when I get the impression that a lot of the youngsters don't bother with tickets, but possibly a bit intimidating for a lone member of staff.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 19:01:09 »

I have noticed this also.  However for the first time in months my ticket was checked on the Worcester to Paddington (via Cheltenham) this morning. 
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 21:45:37 »

My ticket too was checked by the guard on the North Downs on Sunday. It was also checked tonight and last night on my SWR» (South Western Railway - about) suburban train by revenue inspectors. First time in ages on both those lines. Must be a blitz going on.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 21:53:03 »

I have noticed this also.  However for the first time in months my ticket was checked on the Worcester to Paddington (via Cheltenham) this morning. 

There must a a blitz! The 1051 and 1742 had ticket checks on today!
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 21:56:01 »

A major issue in loss of revenue is between Stroud and Stonehouse. A group of 15 teenagers who had not purchased tickets at Stroud were questioned by the TM(resolve) and decided to verbally abuse the member of staff. He really could not do much as the journey is only four minutes and He felt intimidated.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 09:23:34 »

If the FSL (Front Set Lead) - ie the competent person in charge of the front 5 cars of a 5+5 IET (Intercity Express Train) - is a Customer Host, then they are not ticket trained so you won't be checked, but if the FSL is a TE (Ticket Examiner), then obviously they are and probably will.

GWR (Great Western Railway) have not caught on yet (or just don't care), though the TMs(resolve) have, that anyone who doesn't want to pay boards the front 5 trains - in some cases getting free 1st class upgrades.

And in regards to ticketing disputes, the company does not back any guard in any action that will delay the train over ticketing issues, so most guards now can't give a flying one.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 09:32:54 »

If the FSL (Front Set Lead) - ie the competent person in charge of the front 5 cars of a 5+5 IET (Intercity Express Train) - is a Customer Host, then they are not ticket trained so you won't be checked, but if the FSL is a TE (Ticket Examiner), then obviously they are and probably will.

GWR (Great Western Railway) have not caught on yet (or just don't care), though the TMs(resolve) have, that anyone who doesn't want to pay boards the front 5 trains - in some cases getting free 1st class upgrades.

And in regards to ticketing disputes, the company does not back any guard in any action that will delay the train over ticketing issues, so most guards now can't give a flying one.

Please tell me if I'm missing something obvious here and/or being a bit too radical, but if there is (for example) a "FSL" who isn't capable of selling tickets and his/her colleague at the back is able to do so...…………...couldn't they just swap from time to time during the journey?  Huh
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 09:49:04 »

Politics I expect!

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 10:23:58 »

Please tell me if I'm missing something obvious here and/or being a bit too radical, but if there is (for example) a "FSL" who isn't capable of selling tickets and his/her colleague at the back is able to do so...…………...couldn't they just swap from time to time during the journey?  Huh

It’s to do with door operation, the doors need.The doors need to be shut from the rear section of the train. Also, excluding Bath Spa, SDO (Selective Door Opening) on 800s are the front carriages rather than the rear, so they have to shit the doors from the very rear unlocked coach on the platform. Let’s say you have FSL Customer Host and you are on the stopping Bristol London train. The guard has to be in the rear at the starting destination, and you are not going to check tickets in 10 minutes. At bath you can not see the whole platform therefore you have to dispatch from the 3rd/4th to last set of doors. Then onto Chippenham where the rear door is locked out of use, so another dispatch from the rear. Swindon to Didcot, if you have a ten car IET (Intercity Express Train) then the rear door will be locked out of use.

(well I got a bit focused didn’t I  Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 22:45:16 by CharlieGCR » Logged
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 10:34:02 »

they have to do what to the doors from the very rear unlocked coach on the platform?  Wink
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 19:24:54 »

Good moaning .
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 11:55:43 »

The contrast between local "west services" and HSSs (High Speed Services) is noticeable.  Almost always checked on the former and never on the latter.  Is GWR (Great Western Railway) not able to manage/incentivise its staff to do their jobs? 
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 16:10:45 »

Well, my experience of HSS (High Speed Services) in the 'West' is that ticket checks are always very frequent, and usually after every stop.  Based on my observations of travelling at least once or twice a month.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: