Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:10:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should TOC improve its first class offering to subsidise standard class fares?  (Read 2185 times)
devonexpress

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2018, 23:40:59 »

As the question says really, Should TOC (Train Operating Company)'s improve its First Class offering and prices, and use the higher revenue to subsidise the lowering standard class rail fares, as airlines do.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 03:33:36 »

Improving the offering means increasing the costs. That has to be weighed against any increase in 1st Class revenues. There's a finite number of 1st Class seats and, unlike Standard Class, you can't really retain 1st Class passengers if their accommodation is regularly over-subscribed.

Covering the increased costs of an improved offering, presumably such things as catering, ambience, lounges, staffing, etc. with 1st Class fares increases may not leave any surplus revenue to subsidise Standard Class fares. Do you increase the ratio of 1st to Standard seating in an attempt to get more 1st revenue? What if you don't sell those additional 1st Class tickets because the price has increased to pay for the 'extras'?

The question is an interesting one. I'm not sure the maths would add up though. 1st Class fares can already be eye-wateringly expensive. Many would, I'd hazard to guess, say they'd like more for what they're paying now. Ask them if they'd pay more to subsidise those in the cheap seats and I think you'd not get a favourable response.

1st Class rail travel is far more elective than Standard Class. It's revenues can, I suspect, be very fluid. Far more likely to be affected by the economy. What happens in lean times when 1st Class revenues are down? Do the Standard Class fares need to rise or do the operators and DfT» (Department for Transport - about) take the hit?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 05:52:51 »

Putting up first class prices beyond a certain point will loose so many passengers from that part of the train that the profit in that sector of the business will go down.  Lowering them to make them closer to standard class will also lower the profit in that sector as extra services / space above standard have to be provided on less income. 

There's probably not much room to change the first class differentials to increase profit - I suspect the product has been pretty well tuned already!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 09:43:08 »

Putting up first class prices beyond a certain point will loose so many passengers from that part of the train that the profit in that sector of the business will go down.
Always assumed the majority of people that travel first class, are those that claim the money back on expenses, they'll keep paying regardless
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 10:18:31 »

I will say as a very reluctant commuter for the last eight years (and who pays with post-tax money) that it was only the provision of first class accommodation that allowed me to consider taking a London based job even though the price differential between standard and first is huge on FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) in the Thames Valley. Over those eight years there has been a steady, but very noticeable, decrease in the quality of the product.

So what did I get in 2010 for my two and a quarter standard class seats that I purchased every time I travelled? I got a very nice single seat, with table and a full uninterrupted window beside me in one of two and a half first class coaches, almost always, at the front of the train. I swear that in those days the coaches were labelled the other way around and I would always choose Coach B which was the quiet coach – an island of peaceful solitude on the way home from work. I also had a first class compartment, with sliding doors, on my class 165 connection and two on their class 166 cousins. In general, those Turbo compartments were respected. The trolley was fully stocked – remember those lovely curry flavoured lentil crisps? – And a full bar selection was always available for purchase.

At weekends, I could buy a standard class ticket at a significant discount to anywhere in the NSE (Network South East) area and upgrade to first class for a fiver.  Not only that, I could take my then children along for a day out with dad for the princely sum of one pound and upgrade them to first class for £2.50 each – good for both ways on a day return.

In 2018 I am still buying two and a quarter standard class seats – the prices of both are regulated and linked but I now have one and a half coaches on an HST (High Speed Train) and my beloved quiet coach has gone. The new leather seats on the HST are superb – a single glimmer of improvement in those eight years – but sadly now extinguished in the puritan offering that graces the new IETs (Intercity Express Train). Even on the HSTs, my view from the aircraft style single seats is blocked by the person in front hanging their jacket/coat on the hook provided for them in the middle of the window over the corner of my much reduced table – who thought of that idea? First class on the IETs has been a serious retrograde step both in provision and comfort. There is no longer a bar service on the first class trolley. Where first class situated on an IET is a random number generator and very often does not bear any resemblance to the indications on the platform.

The class 378 are standard only, but one can see the half coach partitions that will become Business First on the replacement Heathrow Express.  My Turbos were stripped of their first class and the brand so badly depreciated that when GWR started a limited reintroduction with non-working partition doors they are no longer recognised as first class by the majority of their occupants. Although the Gold Card area has increased in size, the withdrawal of the £5 upgrade made weekend outings unlikely.

So, to answer the OP (Original Poster / topic starter) question, would I pay more for an enhanced service? No. I would want to see my previous benefits restored first and even then, I doubt I would.

I look in envy at the Virgin West Coast with their free anywhere on Virgin pairs of weekend first class tickets, dedicated seating, hot meals served at table and a network of lounges. In addition, an annual first class season ticket from Milton Keynes to London – a comparable journey – is £1230 cheaper! Compared to Didcot Parkway, it is £3016 cheaper !!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 13:28:14 by Oxonhutch » Logged
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 10:32:39 »

In addition, an annual first class season ticket from Milton Keynes to London – a comparable journey – is £1230 cheaper! From Didcot Parkway, it is £3016 cheaper !!

I can't get my head around that last sentence, please elaborate.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 11:19:18 »

As another non-expensed and long-term first class season ticket holder I would agree with every point that Oxenhutch so eloquently made about the HST (High Speed Train) vs. IET (Intercity Express Train) experience over the past decade.
With the present situation of regular short formed services in the evening peak I'm grateful to even see a trolley between Paddington and Reading. I will proactively select a HST over an IET if the choice is available.

My comparable experience using East Coast extensively between 2012 - 2016 was of a much superior first class offering in all areas, from quality of catering to speed of service to comfort.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 11:21:56 »

Milton Keynes Central to London Euston 12 month first class season (49 mi 65 ch; 80.2 km): £8076
Didcot Parkway to London Paddington 12 month first class season (53 mi 10 ch; 85.5 km): £11092

From Season Ticket Calculator
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:37:37 by Oxonhutch » Logged
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 11:43:38 »

In addition, an annual first class season ticket from Milton Keynes to London – a comparable journey – is £1230 cheaper! From Didcot Parkway, it is £3016 cheaper !!

I do now, cheaper should read dearer, right
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 12:07:58 »

I do now, cheaper should read dearer, right

I could have been clearer, I admit but I was (trying) to say, that a comparable Milton Keynes commute was cheaper than mine
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 19:06:43 »

My only regular experience of travelling first class has been London to Scotland. I'm sold on it and hope East Coast doesn't change it. For me the main advantage is a much better seat and a bit more space. Means my back hasn't seized up on arrival. I try book the solitary airline seat and then I'm not bothered by other passengers and can stretch if needed. The food and drink is an added bonus but one I've come to appreciate. Not having to walk the length of train to find the buffet or wait for the trolley is great.

I do tend to book in advance and wouldn't think about it for shorter journeys. One point that is slightly confusing is that only certain types of first class tickets get you into the lounge at Kings Cross. Slightly awkward moment as I'm denied entry for having a first super advance rather than a first advance super (or something like that).

However, if costs increased significantly, to say Virgin London to Manchester prices, I'd probably have to reconsider. I'm not sure what more I'd want on my Scottish trips or what could be offered? Food - tick, drinks - tick, wifi - tick, better seats - tick, peace and quiet - generally.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 19:28:37 »

I do tend to book in advance and wouldn't think about it for shorter journeys. One point that is slightly confusing is that only certain types of first class tickets get you into the lounge at Kings Cross. Slightly awkward moment as I'm denied entry for having a first super advance rather than a first advance super (or something like that).

Not sure why you were denied entry to the lounge at King's Cross. Pretty much any 1st Class ticket, valid for travel with LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) (and VTEC before them) should allow access.

1st Class Advance (there's no Advance Super or Super Advance products) have always allowed lounge access provided the fare is at least £10. There aren't any London to Scotland 1st Advances below that price, even with any Railcard discount.

Only back to the days of East Coast and National Express East Coast were 1st Advance holders not entitled to lounge access. Even then a £10 supplement could be purchased.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 19:38:43 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 20:25:16 »

No idea and i didn't question it too much as I was only trying to save 20p on the assumption there would be free toilets included  Cheesy

The sign that was pointed out to me did did highlight just how many combinations of tickets were available at the time. Maybe it was a hangover from East Coast days and I was just unlucky.

Executive lounges aren't a great benefit for me anyway as I don't tend to have a long waiting time for trips up North.

One other advantage is that I sometimes get a free paper but not always. Again not enough to pay a premium but makes it better experience.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: