Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:04:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mother and child survive track fall, Baker street.  (Read 5426 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2018, 11:14:05 »

News report.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45458222

Early reports strongly suggest that this was an accident and NOT an attack or other deliberate action.
It would seem they were saved from any serious injury by the anti suicide pit between the rails.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 11:30:13 »

Lucky also not to be electrocuted?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 12:11:34 »

Why? The third rail is always on the far side, and the voltage on the (central) fourth rail should not be dangerous.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 12:18:25 »

Yes, though dry clothing gives a good degree of protection. The middle rail is only live at about 220 volts to earth. This is potentially dangerous but relatively low risk compared to higher voltages.
The outer rail at about 440 volts to earth is a greater risk if touched, but being on the side distant from the platform is less likely to be touched by mistake.

I am old enough to remember 220 volt DC (Direct Current) domestic mains, with which all sorts of risks were taken, but most people survived.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 12:38:38 »

Why? The third rail is always on the far side, and the voltage on the (central) fourth rail should not be dangerous.

To clarify that, I was thinking that the fourth rail voltage was now quite low. However, on reflection I suspect broadgage is right - I thought there was a programme to increase the imbalance between third and fourth rail voltages, for safety reasons, but 2:1 may be all that is possible.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 13:34:12 »

Am I right in thinking that the voltage on the Underground is +420V on the outer rail and -210V on the inner. Giving a potential difference of 630V? Am I also right in thinking that as this is only potential there is no current flow (amperage) unless there is a train in section drawing power?

I don't know enough about the power distribution, current flow and earthing of LU traction current. Could someone explain in layman's terms how it is possible to get a shock from touching the inner rail only. Can this happen with no train in section drawing power? Does touching the inner rail provide the means for current to flow from rail to earth via person, causing shock?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 13:41:28 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 14:27:32 »

Am I right in thinking that the voltage on the Underground is +420V on the outer rail and -210V on the inner. Giving a potential difference of 630V? Am I also right in thinking that as this is only potential there is no current flow (amperage) unless there is a train in section drawing power?

I don't know enough about the power distribution, current flow and earthing of LU traction current. Could someone explain in layman's terms how it is possible to get a shock from touching the inner rail only. Can this happen with no train in section drawing power? Does touching the inner rail provide the means for current to flow from rail to earth via person, causing shock?

Basically, because the supply doesn't float - it is earthed, and forms in effect two supplies one at +420 and one at -210 V relative to the rails. The intended uses are all connected between the two, and not to earth, so all the current flows around through both halves of the supply. Ideally no current should flow through the earthing connection of the supply, though in reality all the leakage to earth can and that can be quite significant.

If it did float (i.e. was connected nowhere) it would be impossible to say with any certainty what the voltage on either rail would be - only their algebraic difference would be defined. The actual voltages would depend on the relative resistances of the leakage paths from either rail to earth.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 14:34:31 »

the voltage on the (central) fourth rail should not be dangerous

Lots of knowledgeable people here, and I've certainly learnt a lot from all the detail given following my initial question,

Might have to read it a few more times before I understand it fully though  Cheesy

Thanks.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 14:45:37 »

Yes, the LUL (London Underground Ltd) system may be considered as two supplies one for each of the two live rails.
The inner rail, between the two running rails is kept at about 210/220 volts negative to earth.
The outer rail is kept at about 420/440 volts positive to earth.
The train is connected between the two and therefore receives about 630/660 volts.

Touching the inner rail whilst in contact with earth will result a 210/220 volt shock, somewhat dangerous.
Touching the outer rail and earth would result in a 420/440 volt shock, often fatal.

Either rail may be touched with impunity if the person touching it is completely isolated from earth.
A person dangling from a helicopter or balloon could touch either rail.
A bird may perch on either rail without getting a shock, this may be observed on above ground sections.

In theory a person may stand safely on a live rail if not in contact with earth.DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT ACTUALLY TRYING THIS. THE SLIGHTEST TRIP OR STUMBLE COULD BE FATAL. Or of course you might be hit by a train.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 14:51:57 »

the voltage on the (central) fourth rail should not be dangerous
Lots of knowledgeable people here, and I've certainly learnt a lot from all the detail given following my initial question,
Might have to read it a few more times before I understand it fully though  Cheesy
Thanks.

It might be more accurate to state that the voltage on the fourth/inner rail is less dangerous than that on the outer rail, or that found on most other electric railways.
By no means safe though.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 00:47:47 »

The figures given predate the latest increases for S stock, on parts of lines where it is the only stock in use they are gradually raising the nominal voltage to 750 V, (+500/-250).  It can rise even higher when trains are regenerating, up to about 900V...

Paul
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 07:28:58 »

The figures given predate the latest increases for S stock, on parts of lines where it is the only stock in use they are gradually raising the nominal voltage to 750 V, (+500/-250).  It can rise even higher when trains are regenerating, up to about 900V...

Paul

They were lucky, the risk of being struck by the train and the risk of electric shock ………………. just horrific.

This has been mainly on the surface areas, although the longer trend is I believe to increase the voltage to 750V nominal which NR» (Network Rail - home page) has done on most of its network.  The raise in voltage is to do with energy efficiency (good old I2R)   It has to be born in mind that you just cannot raise one Substation rectifier to 750V and the next one be at 630V; the difference has to be graded over a number of Substation rectifiers.

LUL (London Underground Ltd) use a resistor potential divider to produce their reference to earth.  I would not get overly concerned whether the Voltage between the centre rail and earth is 220 or 250 as these values at DC (Direct Current) can be lethal although factors like clothing, shoes also the concrete they were on all increase the resistance

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: