Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:35 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:36:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas 2018 - Slough to Paddington closure for engineering works  (Read 5503 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 11, 2018, 12:31:14 »

Lines inwards from Slough to Paddington will be CLOSED from 23rd December 2018 to 26th December inclusive, and also on 30th December. Between 27th December and 29th December, and on 1st January, 2 tracks rather than 4 will be available.

Trains from the South West and from Bristol and South Wales will terminate at Reading.  Cheltenham Spa services will run only to Swindon. Cotswold line services will run to Slough, and there will be additional trains from Slough to Reading (twice an hour) and Didcot (hourly).

Services from Reading to Waterloo will be strengthed, and there will be additional services too.

Passengers from West of Exeter for London may wish to take the South West Railway service via Salisbury into Waterloo; these trains will have additional carriages.

Passengers from the Cotswold line and between Banbury and Oxford may wish to use Chiltern Trains in from Oxford to Marylebone.

There will not be any IET (Intercity Express Train) or HST (High Speed Train) diversions into Marylebone or Waterloo. At Marylebone, the maximum IET length would be 5 carriages and (at one per hour) of very limited use. Waterloo has its own closure of platforms 1 to 10 and would lack capacity for long distance diversions.

I will follow up with rail replacement bus data in due course.

Two additional West of England service are scheduled on each on 20th 21st and 22nd December (westbound) and two additional eastbound on 27th December.

Note - West of England services will not call at Westbury from 23rd December to 3rd January inclusive due to relaying works there - they will use the avoider. See separate post.

Note - from Chrismas until 1st January inclusive , Severn Tunnel Junction is also closed and South Wales passengers will be transferred by bus from Bristol Parkway to Newport.  See separate post.

Note - Bridge works at Guildford will close the North Downs line from Christmas to 30th Decemmber inclusive. See separate post.

Above as told by GWR (Great Western Railway) major possessions team - a couple of elements may still be draft, but. am cleared to share. Please take this more as guildines that rules just for the moment.  Exact timetables online early November.

Separate posts will follow in next few days. I will come back and add links!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 12:33:55 »

Grahame, thanks for posting that advance information.  I think I'll stay indoors and consume a G&T (or two, or three....) instead  Grin
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:39:16 by SandTEngineer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 13:36:33 »

Grahame, thanks for posting that advance information. 

My pleasure - provided that members don't shoot the messenger if they feel there's something they don't like

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 13:47:29 »

Incredible that both diversionary route terminals will be unavailable as well.  Never known that to happen before!
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 16:15:08 »

Incredible that both diversionary route terminals will be unavailable as well.  Never known that to happen before!

We've got the IETs (Intercity Express Train) now
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 17:54:39 »

That is most disappointing especially when you couple that with the Severn tunnel being closed.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 18:54:40 »

….and Westbury and Filton bank....
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 10:33:59 »

I've been advised that the reason for the Paddington closure is to allow decomissioning of the OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) HST (High Speed Train) depot and access sidings, and the permanent recovery of the single line to Park Royal (Greenford), to allow the start of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) works.  Note the Greenford connection will not reopen and the Chiltern 'Parliamentary Service' will be permanently diverted via Ealing Broadway, the latter commencing from 10 December 2018.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:48:49 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 13:05:06 »

That's going to mean a few more white levers in Greenford 'box. I wonder how long it will survive after this.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 13:29:03 »

I think NR» (Network Rail - home page) have plans for the Greenford connection to allow Chiltern to serve Old Oak Common after completion. My bet is that it'll get reinstated eventually
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 14:33:06 »

I've been advised that the reason for the Paddington closure is to allow decomissioning of the OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) HST (High Speed Train) depot and access sidings, and the permanent recovery of the single line to Park Royal (Greenford), to allow the start of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) works.  Note the Greenford connection will not reopen and the Chiltern 'Parliamentary Service' will be permanently diverted via Ealing Broadway, the latter commencing from 10 December 2018.

If the passenger service between Old Oak Common West Junction and Northolt Junction via Park Royal is to be withdrawn permanently then doesn't there have to be a formal closure procedure?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 17:15:25 »

The Chiltern Parliamentary will terminate in West Ealing bay from December, and not run through via Ealing B’way into Paddington.   I saw it in a track access application a few weeks back, but RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) already shows the curtailment.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/WEA/2018/12/17/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=CH

Looks as if they’ll share the platform with the Greenford shuttle.

I’m going with it being unnecessary to undertake formal closure procedures, because the section of line is planned for reinstatement.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 17:25:11 by paul7755 » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 18:06:17 »

The Chiltern Parliamentary will terminate in West Ealing bay from December, and not run through via Ealing B’way into Paddington.   I saw it in a track access application a few weeks back, but RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) already shows the curtailment.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/WEA/2018/12/17/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=CH

Looks as if they’ll share the platform with the Greenford shuttle.

I’m going with it being unnecessary to undertake formal closure procedures, because the section of line is planned for reinstatement.

Paul

Paul, thanks for your update. Since my original post I've seen it confirmed elsewhere that the service will terminate in West Ealing bay.  I'm searching elsewhere to see if the Park Royal-OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) line will reopen when HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) is commissioned.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 18:15:14 »

Possibly after OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) station is completed, which may not be at the same point in time that HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) commences service
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 18:59:52 »

This was posted on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum but not sure how accurate it is:
.....the intention is to incorporate two terminating platforms in the layout of the OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) joint HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))/Crossrail station - this effectively frees up space at Marylebone for extra services. Although TBH (to be honest) some could even continue and terminate at Paddington in the old platform 14 if there is enough capacity between Crossrail services. West Ealing is recognised as an unsuitable destination long-term to provide a terminating platform to transfer from a Chiltern train onto Crossrail.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: