Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:52:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Platform changes that mean you miss a service  (Read 7511 times)
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: September 12, 2018, 09:59:35 »

Can anyone tell me what happens if a platform change is announced very late, and you are unable to get to the new platform in time to board your train, and particularly if you have an advanced ticket for that service.

It didn't quite happen to me, but suspect it did to a few others. A week or so ago I was at Southampton Central to catch the 1710 train back to Bath Spa. IME (in my experience) trains on that route always go from platform 4. However, this one was shown on the screen as leaving from platform 3A, even though another train was also shown from leaving from that platform for Totton at 1706. Getting to that platform involves going up to the footbridge and then down again. On platform 3A the 1706 arrived and then left on time. I think at about 1708 (but can't be sure) that the 1710 was then announced due to arrive on that platform, but at about 1709 and a bit a platform change was announced which said it would arrive at platform 4 (and we then saw it arrive). A staff member on platform 3A was phoning (I assume) the staff member on platform 4 to tell them what was happening. So about 80 or so people rushed for the stairs, and a few of us went to the lift because we had heavy luggage (I had a bike). Fortunately we all fitted into the lift and got to the footbridge.

Knowing the train was already waiting and that the lift is a little way distant from where the train stops, I carried my bike down the stairs, as did the other person with a bike, but those with heavy cases went to the catch the lift down. I caught the train, which left very soon afterwards. I didn't see any of the people who went for the lift get on, and am pretty sure they missed it.

Presumably any of the following could happen to those who did miss it and had advanced tickets:

a) They would be charged the full fare for their journey as they didn't have the correct ticket.

b) They could claim back compensation for being late (it is an hourly service so presumably they would arrive one hour late), which could include compensation for the full fare charged?

c) They could ask for a remit from the station staff at Southampton explaining what had happened, to show to the TM(resolve) on the next train. However, I'm sure that the staff on platform 4 will say they looked to see if anyone needed to get on and that everyone on the platform had. And they would be correct, in that the passengers who still needed to board hadn't made it to the platform in time, being in the lift (or still waiting for it). So my suspicion is that they may not be prepared to issue a remit if it implied they hadn't done their job correctly.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 10:02:02 »

I should add one extra point. Southampton Central is run by a different company to that providing the service, so who would any claim be made to?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 11:11:14 »

Interesting example of the Punctual Versus reliable railway.

The punctual railway means people miss their train in circumstances like this, a reliable railway ensures people have a train at or near the advertised time.
the void

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 11:11:54 »

...and the signaler responsible for changing the platform at the last minute works for a different company yet again!
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 12:48:19 »

...and the signaler responsible for changing the platform at the last minute works for a different company yet again!

I didn't know that. Which company would they work for?

I still find it odd that the train was due on platform 3A in the first place, as there didn't seem to be any other services coming onto platform 4 around that time. I did wonder whether it was due to staff shortage meaning there was nobody to send the train off from there, but as there was somebody there when it was replatformed I assume not.
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 13:18:25 »

I still find it odd that the train was due on platform 3A in the first place, as there didn't seem to be any other services coming onto platform 4 around that time. I did wonder whether it was due to staff shortage meaning there was nobody to send the train off from there, but as there was somebody there when it was replatformed I assume not.
The 17:10 service was switched to platform 3 a couple of years ago as there was a freight container working for Southampton Western Docks or Maritime booked just in front of it that was scheduled through platform 4 as the terminals are on the down side of the running lines. It would appear that although the freight working is no longer an issue, the platform allocation has remained as platform 3. The signallers at Eastleigh sometimes forget that this service is booked through platform 3, especially as most (if not all) other services at xx:10 use platform 4.
the void

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 14:18:57 »

The signalers work for Network Rail.
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 15:29:46 »

Had that problem at Newport on the way to Abergavenny. Train from Paddington left OK. But lost time. It was 15 minutes down at Newport. This was enough to just  and only just - miss the Arriva connection. They didn't bother to hold the Arriva train although staff could clearly see quite a few pax. struggling with luggage to get over the footbridge. We got to the Arriva train just as the doors were shutting. It then left. We had to wait for the next train. Meanwhile we missed the booked transport from Abergavenny. We lost the costs for that, AND had to pay for taxis at £50 to get to our hotel. Never got a any replies to our complaints to FGW (First Great Western) or Arriva. Never went again.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 20:54:46 »

This would seem to be an appropriate place to post a warning to users of Filton Abbey Wood.
Between the end of the Filton 4-track blockade (19th November if memory serves) and the last day of the May-to-December 2018 timetable (8th December), there will be 4 platforms in use at Filton Abbey Wood, but the electronic timetable will still have the OLD platform numbers.

So some trains will be physically unable to use their timetabled platform.  Others could use their timetabled one, but would have to 'weave' to do so.

The specifics:
current usage;
Platform 1 - all trains towards Temple Meads, from both Parkway and Patchway
Platform 2 - all trains towards Parkway
Platform 3 - all trains towards Patchway and South Wales

After the 4-track layout opens
Platform 1 - all trains from Parkway; also (by exception) Patchway to Temple Meads non-stop trains (i.e. not stopping at Lawrence Hill or Stapleton Road)
Platform 2 - all trains towards Parkway; also (by exception) Temple Meads to Patchway fast trains
Platform 3 - Patchway to Temple Meads trains
Platform 4 - Temple Meads to Patchway trains

I'm prepared to wager that the CIS (Customer Information System) screens will be switched off for those 3 weeks!
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 08:56:21 »

The 17:10 service was switched to platform 3 a couple of years ago as there was a freight container working for Southampton Western Docks or Maritime booked just in front of it that was scheduled through platform 4 as the terminals are on the down side of the running lines. It would appear that although the freight working is no longer an issue, the platform allocation has remained as platform 3. The signallers at Eastleigh sometimes forget that this service is booked through platform 3, especially as most (if not all) other services at xx:10 use platform 4.

Thanks for this response, which answers what happened.

But it would also be good to know the answers to the redress issue, which is why I posted in this thread.

My guess at what would happen is that a claim would be made to GWR (Great Western Railway), as the TOC (Train Operating Company) running the service the ticket was for, and assuming they reply, the reply would be that their service ran to time so no claim could be made to them. They might suggest approaching SWR» (South Western Railway - about), as the TOC running Southampton Central. A claim made to them may, if they reply, say their staff checked to see all on the platform had boarded and sent the train off on time, so no claim could be made against them. I suspect any claimant by this time will have given up, and doubt that National Rail, as signallers, would ever be mentioned. And I suspect there isn't any way to make a claim against NR» (Network Rail - home page) anyway, as they are not a TOC.

So the outcome may well have been that someone would have bought an advance ticket which they tried to use but couldn't, had to pay extra for a full fare ticket, lost out for an hour to catch the next train, and lose out in every way. Does that seem most likely?
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 09:11:28 »

Thanks for this response, which answers what happened.

But it would also be good to know the answers to the redress issue, which is why I posted in this thread.

My guess at what would happen is that a claim would be made to GWR (Great Western Railway), as the TOC (Train Operating Company) running the service the ticket was for, and assuming they reply, the reply would be that their service ran to time so no claim could be made to them. They might suggest approaching SWR» (South Western Railway - about), as the TOC running Southampton Central. A claim made to them may, if they reply, say their staff checked to see all on the platform had boarded and sent the train off on time, so no claim could be made against them. I suspect any claimant by this time will have given up, and doubt that National Rail, as signallers, would ever be mentioned. And I suspect there isn't any way to make a claim against NR» (Network Rail - home page) anyway, as they are not a TOC.

So the outcome may well have been that someone would have bought an advance ticket which they tried to use but couldn't, had to pay extra for a full fare ticket, lost out for an hour to catch the next train, and lose out in every way. Does that seem most likely?

Try Passenger Focus, they sometimes, only sometimes mind, get redress for passengers when other avenues have closed.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 10:18:38 »

If I've missed my connecting train and was travelling on an advanced ticket, even a split advanced ticket, and its the railways fault, I won't be paying any extra.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: