I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:00:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Train (IET) failure, near Exeter, 13 September 2018  (Read 16862 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 20:48:34 »

1C24 platformed at Taunton, 1V64 waiting a platform and 1C93 arroaching at 20:49
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 21:19:44 »

1C91 on the move south, 1C92, 1V64 and 1C93 queued at Tiverton loops with 1C94 approaching at 21:20.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 21:29:39 »

Evacuation to the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Voyager in rear is under way as of 2105.

I guessed wrong about keeping SLW going. Down main line has been closed as 'position of safety'.

I think there will be some serious questions asked about the timescales of this incident. Four hours between coming to a stand and starting evacuation is not good.

It is fortunate that there hasn't been any (at least not reported internally) self evacuation. I hope the on train environment has contributed to keeping people on board. And I trust that staff have provided regular updates and made regular warning announcements of the dangers of self evacuation. That said, four hours is unacceptable.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 21:54:01 »

Join the queue chaps!

Another two trains, 1C94 and 1V66 out of shot near Tiverton Loops.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 21:59:16 »

Looks like evacuation to cess then. I guess they didn't want to suspend the single line working. Trains are already queued at Tiverton Loops.

1Z99 approaching failed train from behind...

Two posts on my Facebook feed ...

Serious question.. Are All lurchers just bonkers
... and the answers were a flood of YESes

Could a Voyager couple up to an IET (Intercity Express Train) and rescue it if required to in an emergency ??
... and the answers were a flood of NOs

What a shame ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 22:00:08 »

The DML is closed because the evacuation is taking place in to the 6 foot as the cess is unsuitable.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 22:06:53 »

As I understand this situation, it is two 5 car IETs (Intercity Express Train) coupled together, so why can't one rescue the other then??
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 22:23:30 »

As I understand this situation, it is two 5 car IETs (Intercity Express Train) coupled together, so why can't one rescue the other then??

If there is a total loss of air then it can't be moved
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 22:25:42 »

Evacuation to the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Voyager in rear is under way as of 2105.

I guessed wrong about keeping SLW going. Down main line has been closed as 'position of safety'.

I think there will be some serious questions asked about the timescales of this incident. Four hours between coming to a stand and starting evacuation is not good.

It is fortunate that there hasn't been any (at least not reported internally) self evacuation. I hope the on train environment has contributed to keeping people on board. And I trust that staff have provided regular updates and made regular warning announcements of the dangers of self evacuation. That said, four hours is unacceptable.

It has been proven that provided passengers are -
  • Kept well informed of what is happening
    Are sitting and not standing and squashed in like sardines
    Basic needs are met, drinks perhaps some food
They may not be the happiest of people but they will remain on the train, the key is good communications

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 22:27:50 »

Attempts were seemingly made to use the rear set. However the entire train was declared a failure. I'd guess the rear set had some sort of systems failure after the loss of air, preventing it building up its own independent vacuum. Maybe a 'computer says no' scenario.

The story has now made the media.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/passengers-evacuated-intercity-express-train-2002629

Plenty of factual errors in it but not good news for GWR (Great Western Railway) and Hitachi.

I fancy Dan Panes might have a busy day tomorrow.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 22:29:28 »

That option was suggested as one of the benefits of the down grade to DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) operation.
Did not help in this case though!
Lack of power in one unit should leave the other unit able to move the dead one, but in this case it is reported that one unit lost air, that would apply the brakes and prevent movement.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2018, 23:20:41 »

Passengers have now arrived back at a Exeter St Davids around six hours after the train ground to a halt.

Six hours.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2018, 00:10:19 »

The errant train has now been moved to the loop at the former Tiverton Junction. Up line reopened.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2018, 00:41:02 »

The same day the M5 was closed reportedly from 0830 to 1800 by a crash involving HGV's and private cars. 2 dead, 2 serious injuries, 4 in hospital.

Count your blessings,

OTC
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2018, 02:06:02 »

17:42 Penzance to London Paddington due 23:42
13/09/18 17:42 Penzance to London Paddington due 23:42 has been delayed at Exeter St Davids and is now 198 minutes late.
This is due to a broken down train.

Expected 03:00 ... at a first glance, I thought it was another two reports on the sleeper

18:03 London Paddington to Penzance due 23:10
13/09/18 18:03 London Paddington to Penzance due 23:10 will call additionally at Saltash, Lostwithiel, Camborne, Hayle and St Erth.
It has been delayed between Taunton and Exeter St Davids and is now 195 minutes late.
This is due to a broken down train.

Expected 02:25

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: