Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:01:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rise in car dependency - unintended consequence, or expected effect of policy?  (Read 3832 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 07:45:51 »

Another aspect of useability of public transport is the service frequency at different times of day.  I could take the bus to the station in Swindon and back. In the morning and during the day it is 20 minute frequency, however if I come back after 6, the frequency of buses reduces dramatically and the bus station is not a nice place to wait of an evening. Also it is only a short drive while the bus takes twice as long. By the time I have then added an allowance for unreliability of buses in the morning, the whole thing just adds over an hour to what is often already a long working day. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 08:39:09 »

One thing that perhaps ought to be undertaken are surveys of those who chose to drive when they could take the train (or a bus). As a rail passenger I get questionnaires periodically, but I am not aware of any sent generally to those who work, asking them why they choose their preferred mode of transport over others.

I have long nagged Passenger Focus - now Transport Focus - to look beyond the satisfaction levels of only the people who are already satfisfied enough to use the train ... Anthony Smith may be rather tired of the question from me.  I am told, though, that some of this research has now been done; I need to chase up its availability and take a detailed.  Apparently limited in scope - "very expensive" to do.

Some of my work colleagues don't use trains although they could do so. In one case it is because their local station (Liphook) is badly lit at night, and there have been prowlers in the area (a female colleague), another likes winding down after work listening to Radio 4 in his car rather than taking a train to Cosham, and a third doesn't fancy the walk to his local station at Worplesdon down an unlit lane with no pavement or lights.  None of these mention cost or unreliability. Perhaps if this information was gathered and analysed we might find ways of attracting more over.

Agreed.   If you have a station at the end of a deserted cul-de-sac at the back of an industrial estate it can feel a bit unsafe at night and put people off in the dark.  For a commuter town where evening traffic is mostly inwards, a shuttle bus around the town meeting each train would do wonders ...

Cosham is the station where even some of the trains (GWR (Great Western Railway)'s) don't call after dark, isn't it?  If it scares the trains, it must petrify the people.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 08:47:08 »

I suspect all of these things are factors - it'd be interesting to have a top 10 - Unreliability, cost, overcrowding, filthy trains, inconvenience, unsafe/insecure station environments, lack of connection with other means of transport, poor customer service, lack of disabled provision, long promised improvements which never materialise, together with all those that others have listed here (and elsewhere) are inevitably going to be factors to a greater or lesser extent.

The big question is of course, what are the railways going to do to address them, and get these customers (back) on board? (Hopefully with enough space to breathe when they do)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 10:34:57 »

The problem is that there is little incentive....if passenger numbers seriously drop off then there might be, but otherwise franchises aren't set up any more to encourage the TOCs (Train Operating Company) to (further) increase traveling numbers
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 16:58:36 »

The problem is that there is little incentive....if passenger numbers seriously drop off then there might be, but otherwise franchises aren't set up any more to encourage the TOCs (Train Operating Company) to (further) increase traveling numbers

......interesting point, and to be honest, it's hardly in the interests of existing customers for more to be encouraged on to trains which are already dangerously overcrowded, most of us welcome a bit more space!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 17:12:23 »

This. I was discussing a poor experience with a cross country employee. His response interested me. “Management don’t care as we are exceeding capacity so we could do with losing some passengers”

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 17:26:35 »

This. I was discussing a poor experience with a cross country employee. His response interested me. “Management don’t care as we are exceeding capacity so we could do with losing some passengers”

That's probably the one thing Management and Customers agree on!!!  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 17:48:09 »

Not only is there little incentive to encourage more passengers where trains are already full and bursting and not scheduled for any sponsored enhancement it the near future, but perhaps there are even element of the opposite?  Where a train operators is negotiating a continuation of their operation, and are the only bidder, could it not be seen as in their interest to start from a 'difficult' position - that way the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) might be tempted to accept a lower bid / pay a greater price if the contract is one that requires subsidy?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 18:17:39 »

Isn't that why the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) re-franchise was halted when XC were the only interested bidder?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: