Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:36:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How are people judging you because of your funny regional accent?  (Read 4611 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 22, 2018, 03:17:23 »

If you’re from the West Country…

You probably think your voice is the sultry countryside burr of a confusingly attractive cartoon rabbit. Prepare yourself for some bad news: to others it implies you are a cider-sloshing simpleton who wants to marry a sheep.

From The Daily Mash.   Many a true word written in jest?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 03:50:50 »

Well, I have lived in the West Country for 34 years now but I'm originally from London, yes, Cockney London.  What does that make me then?..... Tongue
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 07:56:25 »

I have to say that my "funny regional accent" does tend to get noticed round my way...

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 08:51:54 »

I'm proud of my Plymouth accent and the heritage which it gives me. I haven't lost it despite living in Buckinghamshire for the last 25 years.

As long as people don't mistake it for Brizzle, Zummmmeerrrzettttt or Cornwall I don't take offence!  Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 16:02:12 »

I can't say as 'ow I've got one o' them regional accents missen.

Now, please!
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 19:10:22 »

Happen.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 19:54:46 »

Happen.

Aye, tha' knows.     

Can tha' smell gas, or is it just me?

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 22:27:39 »

I'm proud of my Plymouth accent and the heritage which it gives me. I haven't lost it despite living in Buckinghamshire for the last 25 years.

As long as people don't mistake it for Brizzle, Zummmmeerrrzettttt or Cornwall I don't take offence!  Grin

Spent most of my life in the westcountry, Somerset or Bristol, but there were a few years in my late teens living in Buckinghamshire. More than once, when living and working in the town of Buckingham, I was asked whether I was a farmer.  Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 19:32:59 »

40 years in Brizzle means I can talk like what they doos in that areal if I gots to, usually if I scrages me knee while gert dappin. I struggled at first with the Irish Question as I began to visit "customers" in some of the housing estates. I would knock on the door, and as often as not it would be answered by a boy who could just reach the lock. I would ask "Is Miss X in?", and he would shout up the stairs "Where's Armagh?" Took me months to get that one, and answers like "'Suppinannuminnum"* didn't exactly help. I learned Latin more quickly.

Funny thing is though that from six months into my west country residency, even until after 20 years, if I visited my folks in Lancashire, I would get all the "Oo ar, 'ere 'e be" from my brothers, but could still talk to them in the vernacular, with my poor Bristol born wife having less clue about what was going on than when I spoke French. That was occasionally useful, mind.

After 12 years of semi-residence in Devon, I can do the basics, and know that it is definitely cream first. Now I'm permanently ensconced here, though, I have realised that Bishops Nympton's version of the Devon language is of little use once one finds oneself east of Rackenford. Back to the drawling board.

I remember the Speaker of the House of Commons George Thomas, later Viscount Tonypandy, dealing with an issue about accents in his lilting Welsh valley voice. Having found a reference from rugby legend and broadcaster Cliff Morgan, which I think is as correct as my recollection of my hearing of it on "Yesterday in Parliament" on Radio 4 long wave, I offer it to the House:

A member from Liverpool with a somewhat thick ‘scouse’ accent was speaking. A Scottish member complained he could not understand a word. Uproar broke out.

‘Order! Order!’ called the Speaker. Nothing. The uproar continued. Then, in the full majesty of office, he stood up – decreeing that everyone be silent. He glanced caustically around the chamber, eyes glaring.

‘There are many accents in this House,’ he said, reprovingly. ‘I only wish I had one myself.’
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 22:57:10 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 20:00:13 »

"Suppinannuminnum"*

"They can be found in the Bristol suburb of Hanham. Is that not so?"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:18:21 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 22:52:19 »

"Suppinannuminnum"*

They can be found in the Bristol suburb of Hanham. Is that not so?

If there was a prize, it would be on its way to you!

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: