Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:40:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Bristol transport strategy .: November 02, 2018
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Transport Strategy Consultation / Launch Event 26/09/2018.  (Read 10783 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 15:53:30 »

I honestly can't work out whether I missed an interesting, hopefully productive consultation or just another geeky meeting getting lost in its own irrelevant details – but it does sound as if it at least had potential to be the former. Either way, I didn't know about it until – just now. (Though I probably wouldn't have gone anyway, as Wednesday nights are usually occupied with other things.)

I don't we'll find that anyone missing from the meeting will have made a huge difference to the future or transport in Bristol.   But to be fair it was the launch of a consulatation so plenty more chances to get in there - deadline 6th November I think.   And to be double fair, one of the questions being asked of attendees is "how do we reach people and encourage them to respond" ...

I get confused between all the levels of planning - the City, the two Mayoral zones, the LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about), the new Western Gateway subregion, and then on to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) - all with their elements of spatial and transport planning ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 16:02:06 »

I don't we'll find that anyone missing from the meeting will have made a huge difference to the future or transport in Bristol.   But to be fair it was the launch of a consulatation so plenty more chances to get in there - deadline 6th November I think.   And to be double fair, one of the questions being asked of attendees is "how do we reach people and encourage them to respond" ...

I think that you may have coined a new transport phrase there - the "consulatation" - A consolation consultation where they ask for your aspirations and then tell you why they cant deliver them to quite some consternation...

I

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 21:03:12 »

I honestly can't work out whether I missed an interesting, hopefully productive consultation or just another geeky meeting getting lost in its own irrelevant details – but it does sound as if it at least had potential to be the former. Either way, I didn't know about it until – just now. (Though I probably wouldn't have gone anyway, as Wednesday nights are usually occupied with other things.)

I get confused between all the levels of planning - the City, the two Mayoral zones, the LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about), the new Western Gateway subregion, and then on to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) - all with their elements of spatial and transport planning ...

You aren't the only one Grahame ,that goes for me as well and as I was sitting with you last night ,I get upon reflection the feeling that the same can be said of Bristol City Council !...
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 10:56:41 »

You aren't the only one Grahame ,that goes for me as well and as I was sitting with you last night ,I get upon reflection the feeling that the same can be said of Bristol City Council !...
One of the Mayoral zones is the same as the City. The Western super Mayor is, erm, much more superer, at least in areal. And the Western Gateway... well, it's the first I've heard of that one.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 18:50:44 »

....confused .... yes you are .... there are 3 mayoral zones in Bristol .... you forgot The Lord Mayor besides The Elected Mayor and The Metro Mayor .... but out in the sticks we have our own Town Mayors, Thornbury, Weston-Super-Mare and  Yate to name a few.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 11:00:41 »

....confused .... yes you are .... there are 3 mayoral zones in Bristol .... you forgot The Lord Mayor besides The Elected Mayor and The Metro Mayor .... but out in the sticks we have our own Town Mayors, Thornbury, Weston-Super-Mare and  Yate to name a few.

George Ferguson explained Bristol mayor's relationship with the lord mayor as "I'm the power, he's the glory". (It's she now - we have a lady Lord Mayor.) The Western super mayor is probably, in the same analogy, the bank manager. The LEP gave us MetroBust to make the development of Filton airfield possible, before chairman Colin Skellet stood down to spend more time working for the owners of Filton airfield, and the LEP doesn't do transport any more. north somerset parish council is now operating under a version of the Chequers Brexit deal - don't want to belong to the club, but we would like the benefits please. Then there is Network Rail and let's not forget Highways England and the bus commissioners, and suddenly you see why it all costs so much and takes such a long time.

It will get better when a proper ITA (Integrated Transport Authority) is formed, and the sub-regional level seems the proper place for it, so long as the money doesn't all get spent on the bigger cities and towns at the expense of improved transport in the smaller places.

Now, please!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 11:10:47 »

It will get better when a proper ITA (Integrated Transport Authority) is formed, and the sub-regional level seems the proper place for it,
When is that likely to happen?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2018, 11:14:02 »

It will get better when a proper ITA (Integrated Transport Authority) is formed, and the sub-regional level seems the proper place for it,
When is that likely to happen?

Probably the latter part of the 22nd century, or when new technology makes it unnecessary, whichever comes last.  Grin

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2018, 21:34:09 »

As an aside, according to Bishopston Voice - a free monthly that circulates in these parts - Western Super Mayor Peter 'Bounder' Bowles is in cahoots with Bristol South MP (Member of Parliament) Karyn Smith (I may have mys-spelled that) to see to the introduction of a JustaBus line along the South Bristol Ring Road link (you know, the one that was planned over 50 years before JustaBus was though of). A cinyc (I may have miss-spelled that) might think that by pretending to have the slightest intention of ever running buses that way they hope to strengthen the case for building the Callington Link using public transport funding...

According to the same article, 'Bounder' is in discussions with the East Japan Railway Company, though in what context is not made very clear; possibly something to do with a link to the Airport... how this all fits in with South Glos Mayor Marvin Trump's mooted underground is also unclear; 'Marvin and I work very closely' says Bowles.

Exciting times, eh what?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 22:22:00 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 11:37:44 »

As an aside, according to Bishopston Voice - a free monthly that circulates in these parts - Western Super Mayor Peter 'Bounder' Bowles is in cahoots with Bristol South MP (Member of Parliament) Karyn Smith (I may have mys-spelled that) to see to the introduction of a JustaBus line along the South Bristol Ring Road link (you know, the one that was planned over 50 years before JustaBus was though of). A cinyc (I may have miss-spelled that) might think that by pretending to have the slightest intention of ever running buses that way they hope to strengthen the case for building the Callington Link using public transport funding...

According to the same article, 'Bounder' is in discussions with the East Japan Railway Company, though in what context is not made very clear; possibly something to do with a link to the Airport... how this all fits in with South Glos Mayor Marvin Trump's mooted underground is also unclear; 'Marvin and I work very closely' says Bowles.

Exciting times, eh what?

The Metro Mayor just wants to make it look as if HE was the one that got the South Bristol Ring Road built and have his piccy took flagging off the first MetroBus service to use the road just like he did at the Aztec West roundabout where he was piccyed at the finished works claiming the works were carried out by WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) when in fact it was us, me included, council taxpayers of South Gloucestershire UA that paid for the works although funding from Central Government may have made a contribution. It must be coming up to an election, I had 4 flyers from the Tories through my letterbox last week.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 13:36:13 »

.... It must be coming up to an election, I had 4 flyers from the Tories through my letterbox last week.

And since that post just 2 hours ago I had a 5th flyer, guess what, announcing a By-Election.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2018, 12:20:33 »

Consultation closes 2nd November 2018 - I have updated diary entry to reflect this.

Link recommended to me at

https://bristol.citizenspace.com/growth-regeneration/bristol-transport-strategy/ 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 14:05:28 »

Not exactly Bristol Transport Strategy, more draft Joint Local Transport Plan 2019-2036 wish-list featured in this Bristol Live article.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2019, 17:17:37 »

Major Marv says large scale public transport changes dependent on airport expansion.

From Bristol Live:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ambitious-mass-transit-hopes-rest-2682966
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2019, 18:03:47 »

Major Marv will be out of office before the airport expansion plans are even approved and thus join the ever lengthening roll of honour of Bristol civic leaders who promised so much and achieved nowt.

edited to add ;-

Meanwhile the blank Roll of Honour board of Civic Leaders that actually did something to cure Bristols traffic congestion and now its air pollution problem will remain virgin territory.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 20:30:39 by martyjon » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: