I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:08:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Bristol transport strategy .: November 02, 2018
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Transport Strategy Consultation / Launch Event 26/09/2018.  (Read 10786 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2019, 23:58:54 »

It's all a little back to front, isn't it? Most big cities have a decent transport system that they then extend to the airport. The Bristol solution is to start with the airport, then extend it to the city, something that could charitably been called "radical". The Mayor speaks some rare sense here:

The model of the airport is not just about adding flights to the UK (United Kingdom)’s total. The airport’s plan is to ease Heathrow by reducing the number of car journeys from the South West and Wales to Heathrow and Gatwick. That’s not insignificant."

The Mayor recognises that people like me are going to travel to places where the train won't get you before your annual leave runs out. I can't see how my carbon (dioxide) footprint would be improved by my having to drive past Bristol Airport, then carry on for a couple of hours or more to Heathrow or Gatwick, only to come back in the same general direction, but at 38,000 feet, most of a day later. I am more than happy to catch the bus from Cullompton to Bristol airport, and cut the congestion. I could understand the outcry if the airport were being expanded to provide additional internal flights rather than easing the load on the big hubs, but it isn't, and I can't as yet catch a train from Temple Meads to Tenerife, Menorca, or Cyprus, my last three destinations flying from Bristol. So I'm content for the airport to expand within moderation, particularly if the emphasis is on using fuel efficient aircraft like the A320 NEO and, if it can be made safe, the Boeing 737-800 MAX.

And if a by-product of that is a spanky new light rail system, kick-started by those nice people at the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan who own the airport, then I shan't grumble. Overall, it would probably cut the city's emissions more than if the airport were not expanded.

Incidentally, whilst trying to find Mayor Marvin in his favoured haunt of Malaysia last month, I rode on the excellent (and very cheap) Kuala Lumpur underground railway. He could learn much.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2019, 05:44:12 »

I can't see how my carbon (dioxide) footprint would be improved by my having to drive past Bristol Airport, then carry on for a couple of hours or more to Heathrow or Gatwick, only to come back in the same general direction, but at 38,000 feet, most of a day later.

I ... when working at various places in the USA and Canada, and a sprinkling of other obscure places such as Slovenia, used to wonder that.  Ah - more about my personal time than my CO2 at the time, I admit.  I concluded that although my personal foot print was worse than it would be with a direct flight from a nearby airport, there are many worldwide destinations which did not justify flights from more than one or two UK (United Kingdom) airports, and adding more flights would mean lower loadings, more cost, more CO2 emission as there would overall be far more air traffic.     Common destinations for sure, but is there an efficient market for Bristol to Mexico City,  Cardiff to Lubljana, or Exeter to Vancouver?

Your solution ... perhaps is to catch the train from Bristol Temple Meads (or Tiverton or even Cullompton) direct to the airport - even though it might not be the closest airport.  A darned sight greener than (say) flying from Exeter to Schipol, then Schipol to Vancouver.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 16:15:06 »

Your solution ... perhaps is to catch the train from Bristol Temple Meads (or Tiverton or even Cullompton) direct to the airport - even though it might not be the closest airport.  A darned sight greener than (say) flying from Exeter to Schipol, then Schipol to Vancouver.

As it happens, I caught Megabus from Tiverton Parkway to Heathrow (via Bristol) because of the price difference compared to train. That was on the day of the very sad happenings just outside of Exeter, which meant that trains were badly affected. I then flew to Abu Dhabi, took a bus to Dubai, joined a cruise ship calling at many places before flying back from Tokyo, so I don't think of myself as an eco-warrior, but I did travel by rail to Lincolnshire the other day, rather than drive.

I once flew from Bristol to Los Angeles via Schiphol, which seemed a good idea until someone backed a truck into the rear of the DC10 we were flying to America from Holland. The resulting 4 hour delay meant that I arrived at my hotel in LA at 7.30, but not sure which 7.30 it was.

Now, please!
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2019, 10:38:40 »

The reality is that for many people like myself working as part of international teams, whilst tools like Skype and teleconferencing are great, it's massively more productive to work face to face and builds much stronger relationships. So business travel is not going to go away, and if the UK (United Kingdom) makes it prohibitively expensive to fly, the likes of me will simply get relocated elsewhere in Europe and the UK divisions we work for will end up being sidelined.

Bristol is great to fly from - it's one of the most efficient airports in Europe in my experience, but if I'm going for work, a schedule with less than a flight a day is a bit of a risk if anything goes wrong, so I'll often end up going to Heathrow, which to be honest is quicker to drive to, as that also generally works out faster (and cheaper) than going via Schipol. Direct trains from the west, or at the least a quick transfer at Reading or the new Old Oak Common station would significantly change the balance in favour of rail for business travellers. So the reality is that if you want to improve Bristol's economy and cut down on driving, you still need a fast, direct (or almost) rail connection to Heathrow.

Finally, a modern plane full up with passengers is actually pretty fuel efficient compared with single car drivers (although it's not great for the upper atmosphere), so until you have high-speed rail (which itself is pretty energy intensive to build and operate), it's not neccessarily the worst choice for longer domestic journeys.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2019, 12:03:07 »

Just imagine, though, if you could get on a train at Temple Meads, Parkway or Cardiff and connect directly into the European High-Speed network? Paris in 4hr? Maybe a sleeper to Berlin?

It is entirely within the gift of governments to make this possible and affordable, and if the phrase 'climate emergency' is to be anything but empty words then they really, really should do so.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2019, 12:47:58 »

Just imagine, though, if you could get on a train at Temple Meads, Parkway or Cardiff and connect directly into the European High-Speed network? Paris in 4hr? Maybe a sleeper to Berlin?

It is entirely within the gift of governments to make this possible and affordable, and if the phrase 'climate emergency' is to be anything but empty words then they really, really should do so.

I have found that I can match travel time for Paris, Brussels, Rotterdam and Bonn by train compared to flying. On one memorable occasion I beat flying by well over 12 hours (even though my train was delayed) as due to snow my colleague's flight was cancelled!

If we can get rid of the need to change trains at Brussels then High Speed rail wins hands down for these near Europe journeys. 
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2019, 15:43:02 »

I have found that I can match travel time for Paris, Brussels, Rotterdam and Bonn by train compared to flying. On one memorable occasion I beat flying by well over 12 hours (even though my train was delayed) as due to snow my colleague's flight was cancelled!

If we can get rid of the need to change trains at Brussels then High Speed rail wins hands down for these near Europe journeys. 

I'm all for this, but can see the difficulties. A charter train all the way to Barcelona, Venice or wherever might be popular now and then, but if it started from Plymouth, there would soon be calls for it to stop at Parson and Bedminster on the way/. It won't be easy getting a full train all the way. There were, once, plans to run trains from Manchester, Birmingham and elsewhere, even Plymouth IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), right the way through the Channel Tunnel to Paris. I don't think it ever happened. They do it differently abroad. I once caught a train from Verona to Venice Santa Lucia, which is an excellent way to arrive. We pulled in between a Eurostar and the Orient Express. It was pre-digital days - one day I shall finish scanning all the random pictures I have.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2019, 17:01:55 »

I have happy memories of catching a train from Hoek van Holland to Berlin Zoologischer Garten, in 1989. The train was a fascinating mix of Dutch, Scandiwegian, East and West German and Russian carriages, the latter complete with provodnik in the vestibule who would top up your jamjar of black tea leaves with boiling water from the samovar. Them were the days...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2019, 17:30:33 »

I have happy memories of catching a train from Hoek van Holland to Berlin Zoologischer Garten, in 1989. The train was a fascinating mix of Dutch, Scandiwegian, East and West German and Russian carriages, the latter complete with provodnik in the vestibule who would top up your jamjar of black tea leaves with boiling water from the samovar. Them were the days...

Similarly, the Harwich - Hoek route is a fond memory for me but with rail travel to and from Hamburg on the jumble of coachs and traction that constituted the Holland - Scandinavian Express through the 60s and early 70s.
Now, sadly, no more but it was a big childhood railway journey/adventure for me and little bro.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2019, 17:56:29 »

It was pre-digital days - one day I shall finish scanning all the random pictures I have.

Please do  Grin
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 18:27:53 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2019, 18:33:09 »

Anyone got a clear view on where we should split this topic? I mean it's an interesting discussion and all that, but it has rather moved on from the BTS Consultation...

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2019, 19:21:30 »

Anyone got a clear view on where we should split this topic? I mean it's an interesting discussion and all that, but it has rather moved on from the BTS Consultation...

I suppose there could be a reason to split, but there's too much of that in politics these days. In any case, I'm not really expecting much more out of this than we got from the 1980 plan for trams. 39 years and £250 million later, three new subsidised bus routes.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2019, 22:09:41 »

Ah, very clever... shades of Mornington Crescent; we're back on-topic after a deft reverse shunt at Lyde Green. MetroBus: The 'Change UK (United Kingdom)'  of public transport.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2019, 22:25:38 »

Ah, very clever... shades of Mornington Crescent; we're back on-topic after a deft reverse shunt at Lyde Green. MetroBus: The 'Change UK (United Kingdom)'  of public transport.

Very well spotted! I played Bradshaw's Monolith there. Just saying.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2019, 13:19:22 »

Gosh, the things you can learn on this forum:

Bradshaw's Monolith. Nearest tube: Archway.

Image: Pierre-Yves Beaudouin / Wikimedia Commons

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: