Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:27:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Major disruption Bristol Newport 22/9/2018  (Read 10290 times)
tramway

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2018, 16:20:16 »

Only posted here as I'm trying to get back to Trowbridge with most of the line between BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and NWP closed due to safety inspection all afternoon.

Both lines out I think, but no idea what might have caused it.

Normally a damaged freight wrecking the track before they found out it was done over a considerable length.. Not sure what happened today.

Hence all the blue lines I think as I type this.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 16:25:20 »

Only posted here as I'm trying to get back to Trowbridge with most of the line between BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and NWP closed due to safety inspection all afternoon.

Where are you starting from?    Newport to Swindon (diverted and double diverted Swansea service) then Swindon to Trowbrige.   Trains all the way and just one change!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 16:34:24 »

Track defect between Filton Abbey Wood and Patchway affecting both lines. That would suggest 'wet beds'. Freight driver reported a dip and kink.

An emergency repair was carried out and the lines reopened around 1500.

Knock on delays and cancellations.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 16:41:01 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 17:30:07 »

It would appear that the 'wet beds' need the help of PIDD (Passenger Information During Disruption) Passenger Information During Disruption. I am not making this up, honestly. I cannot help thinking a little bit of information might be called a PIDDLE Passenger Information During Disruption Laughing Evilly Roll Eyes
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 19:15:38 »

As if things weren't bad enough I'm getting reports of the afternoon train at Pilning going straight through the Station without stopping, with a driver under instruction ☹️
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 19:17:29 »

As if things weren't bad enough I'm getting reports of the afternoon train at Pilning going straight through the Station without stopping, with a driver under instruction ☹️

Never mind - there'll be another one along next week.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 19:38:13 »

In all seriousness, i'd go straight to the top with that if I were you. You cant allow them to think this is in any way acceptable.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 20:01:31 »

In all seriousness, i'd go straight to the top with that if I were you. You cant allow them to think this is in any way acceptable.

"May it please the Queen's most excellent Majesty..."

But seriously, yes, it may be a parliamentary service but there is no excuse for not stopping.

Now, please!
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 15:26:47 »

Thanks for the comments. I was in the Queens Hotel posting that watching live departures, fortunately I was in no hurry yesterday.

Also sadly I didn't do a screen grab showing even PADDs cancelled/delayed at the time. Red across the board.

Boarded a Pompey thinking it was the 14.xx only to find it was the 13.xx with everyone having sat there for an hour. The next Pompey joined up on platform 4 to make 6 car at which point I decided the Queens was a better place to wait for the next hour. Did think of via Swindon but at that pointnt was going to be swings and roundabouts on arrival time.

The next Pompey was old faithful 150001. Only a couple down at Trowbridge especially with Bath rugby crowd boarding on the way.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 19:18:04 »

And at least one young person left on the platform with no hope of a train contacted GWR (Great Western Railway). Which then took 50 mins to source a taxi person in question left cold,wet ,and more than a bit disgruntled.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 23:28:34 »

And at least one young person left on the platform with no hope of a train contacted GWR (Great Western Railway). Which then took 50 mins to source a taxi person in question left cold,wet ,and more than a bit disgruntled.

I agree that should go right to the top, but not in GWR, much higher.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 09:05:23 »

Why not simply put a "stop" order on the next Taunton or Portsmouth train which would have passed through in half an hour?

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 10:15:16 »

On this occasion, the next GWR (Great Western Railway) train through Pilning toward Bristol was at 1702, nearly 90 minutes after the fail to call. A taxi turning up after 50 minutes wasn't ideal, but was, in the circumstances, the least worst option.

Had there not been disruption due a to rail defect would it even have been possible to reliably get a Special Stop Order message to the next GWR train? It would have already left its departure station, even if the help point call was made immediately after the scheduled service sailed through. Once the call had been taken, logged, liaised with control and a resolution sought, the next train could well have been in the Severn Tunnel.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:22:41 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 10:35:41 »

A reply from GWR (Great Western Railway) to the Pilning person who took this up, and is happy for me to share it here.

I have investigated the details of the cancellation, and had given and overview previously, the root cause was indeed the track issue, and I am happy to now provide a little more detail.

As a result of the disruption, and the ensuing staff and stock displacement, the crew and unit scheduled to work the earlier 2C79 14:00 Cardiff to Taunton service was stepped back to work the later service (2C81), as a result the earlier schedule was worked which of course does not include Pilning. A post incident review has taken place, and internal investigation instigated with the crew involved but this will remain internal so I cannot share the details as you request. I can however assure you this has been treated with the utmost seriousness, and we will ensure a general rebrief is given to all staff reminding of the importance of schedule checking.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 14:56:08 »

As I expected. A meeting without biscuits, but some mitigation for the crew concerned.

The crew that stepped back was, according to other forums, a driver under instruction along with a Driver Instructor. I hope the driver under instruction doesn't have the 'fail to call' on his card for any great length of time. I'd also hope the Driver Instructor put his hands up and took the lions share of the blame. Coping with disruption is an ideal real world training scenario.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: