Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:18:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Other things railways did  (Read 5942 times)
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2018, 11:47:20 »

The disappearing sounds thread triggered other thoughts.

Growing up on Hayling there was using the Hayling Bridge (Langstone Bridge to those who lived the other side). It was a toll bridge with the tolls collected by British Railways staff. The decreasing weight limit on the old wooden bridge meant walking across, the aural effect would have been the wind (sort of thing they said "harden you up"?). Later on I used to cross Shoreham Brdige, another bridge where tolls were collected by British Railways staff. I would imagine that LBSCR weren't the only company that had these close links between road and rail which caused these arrangements.

Visits to Portsmouth usually meant an opportunity to look at, and sometimes use, the British Railways ferries. Were Poole - Channel Islands and Scilly Isles ferries run by British Railways?
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 12:12:44 »

Services to the channel islands were run by BR (British Rail(ways))(Sealink) from Weymouth and, later, Portsmouth.  the Poole service only commenced after privatisation of Sealink.  The Scilly isles service has always been private as far I  know

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 12:17:02 »

Running Hotels .... running buses ... running car parks (oh - they still sorta do that) ... hiring out arches ... selling advertising and franchising space ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 19:29:00 »

Running Hotels .... running buses ... running car parks (oh - they still sorta do that) ... hiring out arches ... selling advertising and franchising space ...

........funny isn't it ?  After not doing the things that you mention above any more - you might expect that they might be able to concentrate their efforts on running a railway .........huh !
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 19:44:40 »

Don't hire out arches anymore, that business has been sold off by NR» (Network Rail - home page), NR still own the freehold but no longer get revenue from the rents

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 20:07:26 »

And don't I recall them taking over and running canals too?

And https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_Air_Services

Railway Air Services (RAS) was a British airline formed in March 1934 by four railway companies and Imperial Airways. The airline was a domestic airline operating routes within the United Kingdom linking up with Imperial's services.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 20:27:16 »

There was a period immediately after nationalisation when almost everything that moved in the UK (United Kingdom) (including the railways) or anything connected with transport were all under the umbrella of the British Transport Commission.

Their bailiwick included 32 ports, Pickfords, British Transport Films, Thomas Cook, Caledonian MacBrayne and London Transport.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 20:41:35 »

There was a period immediately after nationalisation when almost everything that moved in the UK (United Kingdom) (including the railways) or anything connected with transport were all under the umbrella of the British Transport Commission.

Their bailiwick included 32 ports, Pickfords, British Transport Films, Thomas Cook, Caledonian MacBrayne and London Transport.

That also included BRITISH ROAD SERVICES in their red liveried vehicles.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 15:44:20 »

Some early railway companies operated gas works or electric power stations.
In the absence of an existing gas or electricity supply, they had to build their own gas works  or power station if anything better than oil lamps and candles was to illuminate a large works.

Large stations in urban areas generally had gas or electricity available, and small country stations could manage with oil lamps, but a large engineering works or depot really needed gas or electric light.

Having gone to the trouble and expense of building a private power station or gas works, then railway homes within a reasonable distance were often supplied.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 18:03:35 »

Let's not forget the company health service,I believe that the GWR (Great Western Railway) companies medical operation was used as a blueprint for our NHS .
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 20:02:13 »

Let's not forget the company health service,I believe that the GWR (Great Western Railway) companies medical operation was used as a blueprint for our NHS .

Surely it's not the current GWR risen phoenix of the original GWR. the current one doesn't seem to be able to organise a hen party in a winery.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 08:45:56 »

My first Summer Jobs were at the Motor Works at Slough where the WR cartage fleet was maintained.    A lot of Scammel 3 wheel tractors.

Working in the store we used to barrow across the mainlines at Slough to connect with a parcels train from Padd which stopped, on the  down main  at slough and delivered spare parts whilst we loaded parts for refurbishment.

Swindon made lots of odd things including Sand Soap for cleaning hands before Swarfega, including I believe fences out of old boiler tubes.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 09:08:31 »

My first Summer Jobs were at the Motor Works at Slough where the WR cartage fleet was maintained.    A lot of Scammel 3 wheel tractors.

Working in the store we used to barrow across the mainlines at Slough to connect with a parcels train from Padd which stopped, on the  down main  at slough and delivered spare parts whilst we loaded parts for refurbishment.

Swindon made lots of odd things including Sand Soap for cleaning hands before Swarfega, including I believe fences out of old boiler tubes.

Yeah, them were the days. I remember the sand soap, we used to rub it into our hands and then splash GUNK onto our hands to more or less liquify the sand soap and it was easier to remove all the oil and grease before finally washing our hand with big chunks of coal tar soap cut from even bigger slabs. Then they brought in barrier cream which one should rub into ones hands before starting work and this was supposed to stop the oil, grease and dirt from sticking to ones hands, but the downside of this was that it made handling of items slippery. Do they still sell Swarfega ?
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 09:30:00 »

They do still sell swarfega it's dreadful stuff, what is needed is lanolin hand care cream of which many brands are available.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 09:32:14 »

One thing the railway did in my time as a youngster was the transport of a circus from one town to another. An advanced party from the circus would arrive at a venue, set up a temporary fence around the site and erect the second big top. On a Sunday the circus train would arrive at the local goods yard, in my case it was Ashley Hill Goods Yard on Muller Road and all the animals would be paraded from the goods yard up Muller Road to Horfield Common where the circus performed. Animals such as Lions, Tigers, Bears and Monkeys would travel in open caged lorries to which they had been transferred by bridging from the specially adapted and reinforced rail vehicles to the road lorries within the goods yard.

If I remember rightly the regular performing circus on Horfield Common was Bertram Mills Circus which used this mode to transfer between venues but Chipperfields Circus also visited and performed at the same location.

Another Bristol circus venue was the (Durdham) Downs and for that location, Clifton Down stations goods yard was used.

Have to browse YouTube to see if any film of such occurrences are on there.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: