Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:02:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ramblings on a rover  (Read 3230 times)
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2018, 08:45:03 »

It has been my habit in recent years to do a 1st class all line rover for a week. This year my focus is on long distance services including, hopefully, the Kings Cross to Inverness services.
Day 1 was yesterday and started with the 0710 Trowbridge to Swindon, joined by Grahame at Melksham at the start of his trek to Glasgow. Next was the 0800 non stop to Paddington.  Smart running as far as Slough but then caught up in the delays caused by the obstruction at Acton. Arrival in PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) was 16 late.
The circle line was on it's worst behaviour with signal problems at Aldgate but Kings Cross was reached in time.
Next was the 1000 Aberdeen service to York. This left 9  minutes late and was well loaded with only a few spare seats in 1st. A full breakfast was enjoyed heading north with arrival at York still 9 late.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 09:16:00 »

The journey south from York on a Cross Country voyager was much as expected. A few minutes were lost to Chesterfield but on time at Derby. The diversion via Alfreton added interest and it was nice to see the new layout at the south end of Derby.  With the various diversions there were lengthy waits at both Derby and Birmingham. Arrival at Newport was punctual.
The day ended with the 1731 Holyhead service "Gerald of Wales" as far as Colwyn Bay with an excellent 3 course dinner end route ( crab cake, rack of lamb & rhubarb crumble).  However Gerald does not seem to be able to keep up with the youngsters as time was lost consistently throughout the journey with an 11 late arrival despite cutting the Chester stop from 8 to 2 minutes.
An interesting point arose on this service. It is advertised as "reservations recommended" but no reservations were shown on board and when I boarded my "reserved" seat was occupied. There were only 2 empty seats available and the person was happy to move. However I do wonder what would have happened if there had been no spare seats.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 11:22:02 »

The journey south from York on a Cross Country voyager was much as expected. A few minutes were lost to Chesterfield but on time at Derby. The diversion via Alfreton added interest and it was nice to see the new layout at the south end of Derby.  With the various diversions there were lengthy waits at both Derby and Birmingham. Arrival at Newport was punctual.
The day ended with the 1731 Holyhead service "Gerald of Wales" as far as Colwyn Bay with an excellent 3 course dinner end route ( crab cake, rack of lamb & rhubarb crumble).  However Gerald does not seem to be able to keep up with the youngsters as time was lost consistently throughout the journey with an 11 late arrival despite cutting the Chester stop from 8 to 2 minutes.
An interesting point arose on this service. It is advertised as "reservations recommended" but no reservations were shown on board and when I boarded my "reserved" seat was occupied. There were only 2 empty seats available and the person was happy to move. However I do wonder what would have happened if there had been no spare seats.

Roger,   so interesting to see all those passengeresque observations and comments - hugely informative and a picture of how the system goes together in parts of the country new to me and other readers.    For example, noting that Arriva Trains Wales' reservation system has its problems too ... kinda leads to a view that no-one really has sorted a good system ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 08:24:25 »

Day 2 started with a trip down to Euston. A good run slightly delayed by late running preceeding trains but only by a few minutes. However, despite the printed menu, Virgin's voyager breakfast is now eggless but still very tasty with a superb pork & leek sausage.
A short bus ride to King's Cross (well it's free at my age) ready for a snap return trip to Cambridge. This confirmed that the 1st class accommodation on the 387s is identical to the standard except for the occasional antimacasser scattered around. A total rip off and I don't know how Great Northern get away with it on what must be a prime tourist route.
Returning to King's Cross the day then fell apart with the  cancellation of the Hull Trains 1348 service. I had intended to catch this to Selby and thence a local service to York which used a section of line I have not travelled on for over 30 years. However a quick look at the timetables  confirmed that I could catch the 1330 Edinburgh service to Darlington and board my intended southbound train there. So far so good.
The northbound train lost a few minutes due to station congestion at Doncaster with a tasty ham and cheese sandwich h washed down with two whisky & ginger ales (blended not single malt). The southbound service was 13 minutes and running behind a trans pennine service which further delayed it to York. Spirited running then followed restoring hope that I might still catch my proposed 1930 from Paddington.
But fate had other ideas. At St Neots we came to a halt and did not move for over 30 minutes. Signal failure! Eventually we got moving and arrived at King's Cross 61 minutes late. I travelled home on the 2103 Plymouth service to Westbury  which was running 10 late from Newbury. Thanks go to the train manager who arranged for the Bristol train to be held if necessary although in the end that was not needed.
Home for a few hours sleep😌

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 16:50:57 »

However, despite the printed menu, Virgin's voyager breakfast is now eggless ...

Ah - the nightmare of keeping printed material up to date in an ever-faster moving world.

My hotel in Glasgow last night advertised breakfast from 06:30 in the room ... but when I went down at 06:40 I was told that wa a "mistake" and as I had to leave at 7 O'clock to get to my day's work, I missed out.  Check out person who I reported the problem to said that they keep telling "them" that the information is out of date ...

A short bus ride to King's Cross (well it's free at my age) ready for a snap return trip to Cambridge. This confirmed that the 1st class accommodation on the 387s is identical to the standard except for the occasional antimacasser scattered around. A total rip off and I don't know how Great Northern get away with it on what must be a prime tourist route.

Returning to King's Cross the day then fell apart with the  cancellation of the Hull Trains 1348 service. I had intended to catch this to Selby and thence a local service to York which used a section of line I have not travelled on for over 30 years. However a quick look at the timetables  confirmed that I could catch the 1330 Edinburgh service to Darlington and board my intended southbound train there.

I haven't done an all line for many years - really must some time; a certain maverick enjoyment in being able to swap around like that

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 20:00:52 »

Day 3 and time for an update as I head north for the night. The start was on the 0702 to Bath as the 0715 was on strike. The 0743 to Paddington produced the  bonus of an HST (High Speed Train) as the IET (Intercity Express Train) had failed so a comfortable ride and an on time arrival. Took the 205 to Euston for the 1007 to Liverpool which arrived a few minutes late but still allowed me to make a 6 minute connection into the trans pennine service to Darlington. I think I must have a jinx as my southbound service left 22 late and, having lost it's path got stuck behind a slow service south of Doncaster. Arrival in Kings Cross was eventually 44 minutes late. Luckilly because of the general disruption my northbound service was also late. Am now tu king into Chipotle chicken supreme accompanied by a Bells whisky and ginger ale (other brands are available but not on LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about)). Heading up to Scotland tomorrow with an early start as because of the Northern RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) strike the only train to get me to York by 0900 leaves Bradford at 0630 although I could get a bus at 0700

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 10:45:26 »

Heading up to Scotland tomorrow with an early start as because of the Northern RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) strike the only train to get me to York by 0900 leaves Bradford at 0630 although I could get a bus at 0700

Did you get through that, Rogerw?   Any other plans hit by the Northern woes?

One of our key GWR (Great Western Railway) contacts until perhaps 18 months ago (time passes quickly) moved to Northern Rail ... bumped into her in Glasgow and understand she's now with London North Western ... Northern must be a really difficult work environment at present where it's your role to generate and maintain positive community feelings.

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 12:35:39 »

Day 4 saw me departing before dawn on the only departure from Bradford to Leeds before 0800, the 0630 LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) service from Forster Square. Thanks Northern & RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers). A quick change at Leeds saw me heading north on the service to Edinburgh via Newcastle and Carlisle, the diversion being due to engineering work. Arrival in Edinburgh was a few minutes late but still in time for the 1200 to Glasgow Queen Street. Unfortunately neither that service nor the 1215 were worked by a 385 so that I have to await that pleasure. Instead I travelled on a "happy train". Comparing this to the 387 on the Cambridge run I can see why the locals mourned theirh  loss. Still 2+2 seating but far more  comfort and a feeling of spaciousness.
After a straightforward run I made my usual mess of crossing Glasgow. I always seem to take a longer route than necessary.
Because of the early start I was now 1 hour ahead of programme but decided to head straight home, heading south to Euston. An uneventful run got into Euston on time,  then the 205 bus to Paddington to catch the 1900 Taunton service to Bath( another HST (High Speed Train)) and thence home for an earlier night. Northern avoided completely and the day going as planned, albeit earlier.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 12:41:04 by rogerw » Logged

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 12:40:06 »

Now into Day 5 and heading north to Inverness on the Highland Chieftain. The 0834 service to Swindon ran and Grahame will be pleased to hear that 11 people joined at Melksham. The run up to Paddington was again an HST (High Speed Train), arriving 5 minutes late.
Further update to follow

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 16:49:15 »

Now into Day 5 and heading north to Inverness on the Highland Chieftain. The 0834 service to Swindon ran and Grahame will be pleased to hear that 11 people joined at Melksham. The run up to Paddington was again an HST (High Speed Train), arriving 5 minutes late.
Further update to follow

Pleased to hear - and double pleased for it to be posted.

The 08:28 Westbury to Swindon - though it has only became all year last winter - has made a big, big difference for people. And that's something to really emphasise to the planner and 'top brass' - a thank you to them for provding it, a rosette to say "it's working well", and a note to keep it or a near equivalent running into the foreseeable future.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 18:44:55 »

After a straightforward run I made my usual mess of crossing Glasgow. I always seem to take a longer route than necessary.

Ha!  I always do that - luckily I had a guide to help across the city last Thursday night.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 21:25:39 »

Safely arrived at a wet & windy Inverness 10 minutes late after a pretty uneventful journey north. An 8 hour plus marathon which I've always wanted to do. Evidence of a power car having wheel spin at points in Scotland, both through Fife and north of Perth. With this weather I'm not surprised the rails were a bit greasy. Back south tomorrow and hoping to do the new Ordsall curve in Manchester.
On a culinary? note the weekend offering on LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) is much better than Virgin's on the west coast. Also managed to get a porridge on GWR (Great Western Railway) this morning as they were running a self service system on the food as only a mini buffet.

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 21:31:13 »

Day 6 saw me heading south on the Chieftain, enjoying a nice cooked breakfast.  I alighted at Newcastle to use the TPE (Trans Pennine Express) service heading to Manchester Airport and using the new curve at Manchester.  I alighted at Piccadilly, heading south to Euston.  Departure from Paddington was on the 1857 Plymouth service formed of 2 x 5 car IETs (Intercity Express Train).  I was told that this was the first trial of a Pullman service to the WoE using these trains.  I just made my connection at Westbury (described elsewhere!)  Other than at the very end an uneventful day, although it was a new experience to travel through Melksham on an IET.  Just 1 day to go.

CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 22:04:34 »

Day 6 saw me heading south on the Chieftain, enjoying a nice cooked breakfast.  I alighted at Newcastle to use the TPE (Trans Pennine Express) service heading to Manchester Airport and using the new curve at Manchester.  I alighted at Piccadilly, heading south to Euston.  Departure from Paddington was on the 1857 Plymouth service formed of 2 x 5 car IETs (Intercity Express Train).  I was told that this was the first trial of a Pullman service to the WoE using these trains.  I just made my connection at Westbury (described elsewhere!)  Other than at the very end an uneventful day, although it was a new experience to travel through Melksham on an IET.  Just 1 day to go.

I thought Melksham International was considered for HS3  Wink
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 07:59:48 »

I thought Melksham International was considered for HS3  Wink

There's a temporary delay as they decide which one of the potential Westbury bypass routes to put HS3 through.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: