Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 01:21:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do journey planners choose where to have you change?  (Read 1533 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 02, 2018, 16:07:02 »

Travelling north tomorrow on the 07:20 from Melksham, connecting into the Newcastle train in Gloucestershire.  Due to the closure at Bristol Parkway, the connection between the trains can be made at Gloucester or at Cheltenham.

GWR (Great Western Railway) web site suggests a change at Gloucester (there from 08:48 to 09:01) and that involves a transfer via the footbridge from platform 2 to platform 4.

Alternative is to change at Cheltenham Spa - arrive 09:04 and leave 09:12.  Same platform (and that cannot change due to the layout!)

I will have a very heavy bag.  And be travelling with a gentleman who's not as nimble on his feet as he once was, also with luggage.  So we will change at Cheltenham Spa.  Why on earth would the journey planner advise anyone to change at Gloucester? I can't see the advantage in so doing.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 16:28:38 »

Whats the minumum change time at CNM» (Cheltenham Spa - next trains)? Might you be within that?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 16:30:44 »

Also, if your train is late, they might let the connecting train go in front, but might hold it until you arrive?
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 18:08:45 »

Hope you both have a good trip,good luck north of the border.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 21:53:35 »

Why on earth would the journey planner advise anyone to change at Gloucester? I can't see the advantage in so doing.

There are - or at least have been a few times when Gloucester is the best point to change - particularly if changing onto a Cardiff XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) train that sometimes leaves while the GWR (Great Western Railway) train is changing ends. 
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 22:24:49 »

I often find with multi transport journey planners that they each have their own ideas about how to get to different places. I mostly use Google maps, Traveline South East and sometimes National Rail enquiries. Often I will take a journey that involves changing trains along a stretch of line where both trains call at all 3 stations (Leatherhead, Ashtead and Epsom) and whilst the planners might agree on both trains to catch, they will suggest changing at different stations.

Grahame - Traveline South East also offer a walking speed mode which may help. I usually select fast walking in normal circumstances and slow if I have a suitcase. This may give you more time for connections, though I suspect it will be clueless when it comes to the availability of lifts, escalators etc.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 05:46:46 »

The usual choice algorithm works on the basis of maximising the interchange time. So if you're on a 13-minute change at Gloucester and an 8-minute change at Cheltenham, it'll go for Gloucester.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 05:50:10 »

Hope you both have a good trip,good luck north of the border.

Thank you - and thanks everyone for the comments / thoughts / suggestions.  If on time into Gloucester and crew available to take our train on to Cheltenham Spa, we'll change at the latter.  I suspect Cheltenham is a 5 minute official change ... we have longer and the physical layout forces a same platform change anyway.

The usual choice algorithm works on the basis of maximising the interchange time. So if you're on a 13-minute change at Gloucester and an 8-minute change at Cheltenham, it'll go for Gloucester.

Ah - right. No consideration of the relative ease of the stations then  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 13:59:47 »

I will have a very heavy bag.  And be travelling with a gentleman who's not as nimble on his feet as he once was, also with luggage.  So we will change at Cheltenham Spa.  Why on earth would the journey planner advise anyone to change at Gloucester? I can't see the advantage in so doing.

Shortest-path routing engines are my speciality rather than multi-modal timetable-based ones but...

Given two different journeys producing identical outcomes, the route chosen will generally be a random, implementation-dependent pick from the two. So the trick is to weight the outcomes. WP has mentioned one way this can be done (better score for long layovers) but it should be equally possible to downrate a transfer that involves struggling over a long footbridge.

Some journey-planner software does support "preferred transfer" points, places where changing trains incurs a smaller penalty. Here's the relevant ticket for OpenTripPlanner, for example: https://github.com/opentripplanner/OpenTripPlanner/issues/365

In this case, it depends whether the software commonly used in UK (United Kingdom) rail sites supports it (I'd be surprised if it doesn't) and whether the people putting the data in have defined Cheltenham Spa as a preferred transfer point.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: