Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:08:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipton to London  (Read 11445 times)
DavidT

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2018, 10:05:35 »

Hello, I'm a new forum member so forgive me if this topic has been covered in the past. I was looking into commuting from Shipton to London and notice there are a few direct trains back in the afternoon/evening -- but no direct ones in the morning. Has there ever been any thought of having  just one direct morning train to Paddington, rather than rather than getting the one local stopping train and making a change or two.  Or, of course, commuting from Charlbury -- but it would be nice not to have to drive!  Thanks in advance.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 11:07:40 »

Hello, I'm a new forum member so forgive me if this topic has been covered in the past. I was looking into commuting from Shipton to London and notice there are a few direct trains back in the afternoon/evening -- but no direct ones in the morning. Has there ever been any thought of having  just one direct morning train to Paddington, rather than rather than getting the one local stopping train and making a change or two.  Or, of course, commuting from Charlbury -- but it would be nice not to have to drive!  Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum.

Don't know if it's been covered before ... and as I have been around from the start and can't remember, go for it   Grin Grin .

I am not familiar with the "north Cotswold" line but a lot of people here are - so I will leave it to them to come up with a substantive answer

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 13:21:49 »

Shipton is a slightly curious station with its imbalance of service.  The station layout is not conducive to commuting, as there is little parking provision and if you do park you car you are faced with a walk of over a quarter of a mile to get from one platform to another along the unlit approach roads and road bridge over the railway with no footpath.  Either that or you break the law and cross the tracks!

It did, some years ago (over ten), have another morning train, which was direct to Paddington departing at just gone 6am.  That was when the first London train of the day started from Moreton-In-Marsh as a Class 180, but I think it was dropped when that train became a HST (High Speed Train) and has never returned, so since has only had the one morning train towards Oxford, but three return trains in the evening.  Quite a few Shipton passengers leave from Kingham in the morning and return to Shipton in the evening.

I can't see the service being improved - the pressure to improve journey times on through trains from Worcester to London is too strong - though at least with Turbos virtually banished from the line it is pretty easy to stop an IET (Intercity Express Train) with its selective door operation, so you never know.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
DavidT

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 15:11:41 »

Thanks for those replies.  I appreciate the points about lack of parking and pressure to improve Worcester train times, it just seems a bit of an anomaly that it's possible to get back from London but not really get there (except on Saturdays!). Maybe if the 7.10 which, if I'm reading the timetable correctly, starts at Moreton in Marsh made an extra stop at Shipton that could provide a solution?
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 00:06:25 »

Maybe if the 7.10 which, if I'm reading the timetable correctly, starts at Moreton in Marsh made an extra stop at Shipton that could provide a solution?

It could, but I think it's doubtful that any such changes would be made until the timetable is recast.  That was supposed to be this December, but is now postponed until (probably) next December.  Schedules will change completely when it does to take advantage of the quicker journey times promised by IET (Intercity Express Train) services.  I think it unlikely Shipton would end up with more calls as a result, but now could be the time for people like yourself to put pressure on local MP (Member of Parliament)'s and other stakeholders to try to lobby to get a change to the SLC (Service Level Commitment) (Service Level Committment) which has been published but will now not happen this December.  You might be able to get it altered if a suitable case could be made.

The SLC can be downloaded here:  https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/617725/great-western-2015-commitments.zip - Page 53 of file 3b is where the current requirements are listed.  GWR (Great Western Railway) are unlikely to add any additional stops of their own free will as an additional stop on a train would be likely to come at a cost to them rather than a money maker.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
DavidT

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 10:34:18 »

Thanks, that's really helpful. I will read myself in!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 11:02:31 »

Shipton is a slightly curious station with its imbalance of service.  The station layout is not conducive to commuting, as there is little parking provision and if you do park you car you are faced with a walk of over a quarter of a mile to get from one platform to another along the unlit approach roads and road bridge over the railway with no footpath.  Either that or you break the law and cross the tracks!

It did, some years ago (over ten), have another morning train, which was direct to Paddington departing at just gone 6am.  That was when the first London train of the day started from Moreton-In-Marsh as a Class 180, but I think it was dropped when that train became a HST (High Speed Train) and has never returned, so since has only had the one morning train towards Oxford, but three return trains in the evening.  Quite a few Shipton passengers leave from Kingham in the morning and return to Shipton in the evening.

I can't see the service being improved - the pressure to improve journey times on through trains from Worcester to London is too strong - though at least with Turbos virtually banished from the line it is pretty easy to stop an IET (Intercity Express Train) with its selective door operation, so you never know.

But if you go back to 1999, the service looks remarkably like today's. Still one morning train, just 10 minutes later, and needing a change at Oxford. Still three trains back (from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) in this case), though with one much earlier - 13:48 from PAD. And still more trains on Saturday, but none of Sunday, and the other halts got a bit more than now (all four were request calls).

Obviously as it stands the limited service is for getting to work in Oxford, or thereabouts, not London. But I wonder if it started off in part as a stockbroker-type service - would only being at work from 10-4 be OK for that?
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 11:16:12 »

What is needed is a full re-doubling of the Cotswold line, then late running one way wouldn't impact on timetables in tother direction.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 17:22:13 »

When you're building new homes to fill the national need - where do you put them and how do you plan to have transport to them?  We had a thread on this a while back, and indeed I recall the national infrastructure body looking at this very question.   By design, Copplestone has had houses built close to a remote station and passenger numbers have soared.  By sprawl, Dilton Marsh has also ceased to be a station in the middle of nowhere, though there it seems more accident that design, and the train service remains perverse and underused.

Where else?   The halts on the North Cotswolds could be next ... with development within easy walking / cycling distance of any or each of the stations, extra calls could be worthwhile for everyone.  A thousand new homes with a decent train service started before they were sold ... 2300 new residents, 50,000 passenger journeys per annum upwards.

Just sayin'   Cheesy

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 17:28:28 »

Melksham, Breich, Pilning, Shipton...We do requests you know  Grin

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 19:55:02 »

Where else?   The halts on the North Cotswolds could be next ... with development within easy walking / cycling distance of any or each of the stations, extra calls could be worthwhile for everyone.  A thousand new homes with a decent train service started before they were sold ... 2300 new residents, 50,000 passenger journeys per annum upwards.

I'm personally not going to disagree with that...

...but in reality: the West Oxfordshire Local Plan has just (last week) been adopted, with a fairly last-minute change in that the expectation of development within the "Burford/Charlbury sub-area" has been withdrawn.

The previous draft of the plan had a modest number of houses within the area, but it was successfully challenged on the basis this wasn't consistent with the statutory protection for the Cotswolds AONB (Areas Of Natural Beauty). Although there may be some small-scale development, hundreds of houses are vanishingly unlikely, let alone a thousand. And both Combe and Finstock stations (as well as Charlbury, Ascott, Shipton and Kingham) are within the AONB.

You could well argue that it is absolute madness to be building those thousands at Witney, Carterton and Eynsham, which are served by the notoriously congested A40 and which don't have any railway service at all. I wouldn't disagree with you... but them's the breaks.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 20:05:06 »

You could well argue that it is absolute madness to be building those thousands at Witney, Carterton and Eynsham, which are served by the notoriously congested A40 and which don't have any railway service at all. I wouldn't disagree with you... but them's the breaks.

Well there was once a railway line that connected all those places to Oxford!
macbrains

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 21:22:34 »

Well there was once a railway line that connected all those places to Oxford!

Yes there was and can we have it back please?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 15:00:12 »

Current plans are to put them on the EAst-West line, the other side of Oxford. How many thousand homes is it?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: