Train Graphic
Great Western Passengers' Forum Great Western Coffee Shop - [home] and [about]
Read about the forum [here].
Register and contribute [here] - it's free.
 today - Digital Railway - Swindon
today - Owl Auction - Bath
tomorrow - Friends of Bridgwater Station
tomorrow - TW NorthWest / Liverpool
22/10/2018 - ACoRP board nominations close
29/10/2018 - Avocet line AGM
Random Image
Train Running @GWR Twitter Acronyms/Abbreviations Station Comparator Rail News GWR co. site Site Style 1 2 3 4 Chat on off
October 17, 2018, 07:09:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most liked recent subjects
[203] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[75] Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion
[42] Bristol's Temple Gate layout change planned in £21m revamp
[34] Missing - a strategy for buses?
[31] IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent pe...
[30] Smoking and wee-ing at gated interchanges
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The fair weather railway?  (Read 996 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 12, 2018, 04:03:22 am »

Two samples

07:30 Carmarthen to London Paddington due 11:32
07:30 Carmarthen to London Paddington due 11:32 will be started from Swansea.
It will no longer call at Carmarthen, Ferryside, Kidwelly, Pembrey & Burry Port and Llanelli.
This is due to forecasted severe weather.

12:16 Liskeard to Looe due 12:45
12:16 Liskeard to Looe due 12:45 will be cancelled.
This is due to forecasted severe weather.

Have weather cancellations become more common place, or has reporting made them more visible?

Will Cross Country be running south of Exeter today?   GWR services with IETs?

Coffee Shop Admin, Member of Melksham Rail User Group, on the board of TravelWatch SouthWest and some more things besides
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 06:30:45 am »

More info from the GWR website:
https://www.gwr.com/about-us/media-centre/info

I am particularly concerned about parts of Wales with the persistence of the band of rain siting itself over the country.
CharlieGCR
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 06:43:26 am »

Carmarthenís not expected to run for most/all of the day.
Liskard-Looe cancelled throughout on JourneyCheck.

Tree on the line earlier so a Penzance service is running 110 minutes behind schedule and is also carrying CrossCountry passengers. Itís fine in my neck of the woods but Iím surprised the leaves on the track excuse has not been used yet.

Will my train be cancelled this Sunday?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 06:56:04 am »

No Cross Country Voyagers to operate along the seawall before 10:00.   Yesterday they were saying no service throughout Cornwall today with all services starting/terminating at Exeter until after high tide and then Plymouth but that seems to have been rescinded.
bignosemac
Transport Scholar

Question everything.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 07:31:01 am »

The first up IET to Paddington (1A72 0553 Plymouth) passed Dawlish without incident around 0640. That was the up line though and high tide isn't until around 0920. First IET beyond Exeter (1C71 0635 Paddington) is due past at around 0855. Be interesting to see how that gets on. Could be running bang road.

As I type, waves are starting to splash the tracks alongside Marine Parade, as seen on the Blenheim Guest House webcam.

Former FGW/GWR regular passenger. No more. Despicable company.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 07:41:52 am »

With the weather that is forecast, I am not sure I would park a car there....

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 08:07:34 am »

Carmarthenís not expected to run for most/all of the day.
Liskard-Looe cancelled throughout on JourneyCheck.

Tree on the line earlier so a Penzance service is running 110 minutes behind schedule and is also carrying CrossCountry passengers. Itís fine in my neck of the woods but Iím surprised the leaves on the track excuse has not been used yet.

Can understand about Looe - has anyone even costed what it would take to solve this?  Raising the track I suppose. 

Trees - If NR clear the trees they are in trouble and if they do not then they get in trouble. Can't win really!
bignosemac
Transport Scholar

Question everything.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 08:11:27 am »

Screenshot from San Remo cam at Dawlish at 0808:

Pretty angry.

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 08:52:19 am »

I had the opportunity to visit a certain control centre in Swindon during the late afternoon and early evening yesterday,most interesting to see the massive amount of hard work,that is put in by the staff from both NR & GWR when having to deal with the  Weather that we are currently experiencing .
bignosemac
Transport Scholar

Question everything.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 09:18:32 am »

GWR seem to have chickened out. 1C71, the 0635 PAD-PNZ was a HST today. Here it is passing Dawlish, getting a wash.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 09:22:15 am »

GWR seem to have chickened out. 1C71, the 0635 PAD-PNZ was a HST today.
Won't be able to do that for much longer.
bignosemac
Transport Scholar

Question everything.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 09:44:49 am »

GWR seem to have chickened out. 1C71, the 0635 PAD-PNZ was a HST today.
Won't be able to do that for much longer.

I may be being a little unfair on GWR. Could be a result of stock displacement after last night's problems with a tree down at Devonport.

1CO4 0730 PAD-PNZ due through around 1030. That's also booked as an IET.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 09:57:05 am »

We do seem to increasingly have a fair weather only railway.
Any reasonable person would expect disruption in truly extreme weather, but we seem to face increasing disruption in what might be called seasonal weather rather than truly extreme conditions.

A good comparison in my view is the effects of the weather on other transport, if roads and airlines are significantly disrupted, then one might expect railways to also suffer.

What is not in my view acceptable is frequent severe  railway disruption "due to severe weather" when main roads and airlines are operating normally.

Both network rail and TOCs need more robust plans for wind, rain, snow and hot weather.

"When customers say that they want a seat, they dont mean they want to sit with their knees behind their ears so that 4 more can sit down. They mean that they want an extra coach so that 74 more can sit down"
"Capacity on intercity routes should be about number of vehicles, not compressing people"
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 10:43:19 am »

It is (and has been) raining a lot here in Carmarthenshire but its wet rather than stormy.

I've also just had a shed installed by a company who drove down from Yorkshire early this morning and they didn't seem to have any problems getting here. Very impressed watching them build a shed in the dark, in the rain
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 10:51:38 am »

Very impressed watching them build a shed in the dark, in the rain

They're from Yorkshire. It's nobut a bit damp lad!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: