10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 09:12:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoking and wee-ing at gated interchanges  (Read 2834 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 13, 2018, 13:10:51 »

A question for the smokers ...

When changing trains at a gated station, you'll often need to go out through the gates if you want a quick nicotine fix ... should be allowed (not sure on advance tickets?).     However, I have a report of their being some sort of time delay in break of journey so that when you exit you have to wait 5 minutes (?) before you're allowed back in?

Same question could apply to visiting loos which are outside the barrier, or a shop on the concourse or the ticked office or machines to pick up future tickets.

Is there a problem with going out and then back in within a couple of minutes? - I can't recall any conditions that suggest breaks of journey mustn't be short ... just that the train you resume on must be a valid train for your ticket.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 14:39:02 »

A question for the smokers ...

When changing trains at a gated station, you'll often need to go out through the gates if you want a quick nicotine fix ... should be allowed (not sure on advance tickets?).     However, I have a report of their being some sort of time delay in break of journey so that when you exit you have to wait 5 minutes (?) before you're allowed back in?

Same question could apply to visiting loos which are outside the barrier, or a shop on the concourse or the ticked office or machines to pick up future tickets.

Is there a problem with going out and then back in within a couple of minutes? - I can't recall any conditions that suggest breaks of journey mustn't be short ... just that the train you resume on must be a valid train for your ticket.
It’s rare for any barriers to be programmed to allow break of journey, whatever the ticket type.  I’d always assume you’ll have to be let through manually.

Paul
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 15:35:13 »

I don't bother with ticket I allways ask the staff at the barrier who have allways obliged me ,usually have to show ticket on the way back in.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 15:56:56 »

The time delay is to prevent pass back, staff on the barrier will either let you out and you use your ticket to re-enter, or vice versa.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 17:37:39 »

Not had that sort of problem myself but my broken journeys are usually for more than a few minutes. As long as the gates are manned, I'm confident that the staff will let me though with a valid ticket even if the machine spits it out without opening the gate.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 17:40:01 »

Mind you, when I read the thread title I did have a different impression of the topic matter!  Cheesy
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 18:43:00 »

The time delay is to prevent pass back, staff on the barrier will either let you out and you use your ticket to re-enter, or vice versa.

Yup, this is your answer. But often near 10mins where gates are programmed, some aren't. Always ask to be let out, explaining why & there shouldn't be a problem. Also to use shops on concourse
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 20:25:48 »

When I was in Worthing recently, I visited the cafe opposite the station. They said they don't have a toilet for customer use but said they can use those in the station, which means going through the barrier. When I went over and explained this to the station staff, they were very begrudging, intimating that they were really fed up with the cafe sending people over to use their facilities.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 21:08:14 »

If you go to Waterloo (main) on a "London Terminals" ticket, the barriers will give the ticket back to you (as they should), hang onto it - the loos on the platforms at Waterloo East are free !!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 21:27:45 »

Let people nip out for a pee and a smoke...……….I remember doing so on innumerable occasions having missed late night trains after too many ales and having to wait a long time for the next one...……...we were all young once...…...weren't we?  Wink
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 15:24:57 »

Pretty much always have problems at Cardiff Central and Bristol Temple Meads when popping to the shops that are located outside the gateline at both stations. Only with the barriers though. Staff have always been helpful though - never had an issue after explaining to someone.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 10:00:16 »

I have the same problem with my annual ticket, if I try to go through the barrier twice within a couple of minutes, I assume it is to stop people handing tickets back to friends and people getting onto the station on the same ticket
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 13:07:39 »

Had the problem numerous times at Reading and Maidenhead where I have left the "station" to visit the shops outside (but still within) the station. Staff always let me straight back in, never had an issue regaining access. Did freak me out the first time I did it as I couldn't work out what had happened!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 15:44:41 »

You should be okay as long as the gates don't swallow your card so that you have no proof to show the guards and then have to buy another one. Hang on, I hope no GWR (Great Western Railway) senior management are taking notes here! 😯
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 17:14:18 »

When I went to Heathrow a couple of weeks ago, I got off a GWR (Great Western Railway) service at Paddington, went through the barrier so I could go around to get on HEX. The barrier promptly ate my All Routes Heathrow Rail ticket. Spoke to the gateline staff and showed her the Return portion and she happily opened up the barrier to fish out the ticket for me.

What I was most impressed by, was how she almost went straight to it in the pile of a zillion tickets which had been fed into the machine while we were waiting - they must do it regularly to know how many tickets equals how far down the pile to look!  Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: