Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:38:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Andrew Haines speaking yesterday (16/10)  (Read 1996 times)
RichardB

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2018, 20:09:31 »

Graham asked me to post a note on Andrew Haines' talk at the GWR (Great Western Railway) Stakeholder Conference yesterday.

Andrew said that yesterday's conference was the first he had spoken at since taking up his new post as NR» (Network Rail - home page) CEO (Chief Executive Officer)

Key points -
* He's a passionate believer in what railways can do for people, but he is not a railway enthusiast.
* There has to be change at Network Rail.  They have lost sight of the passenger.  NR is a customer (as in passenger) service company, just one step removed.
*  Performance was best in Olympics year 2012 and has declined since then.  Must get back to this.  He said we need to treat every year like it was Olympics year - getting that level of focus and determination together with being ruthless about not doing things that were less important but sapped time and energy.
*  Rail's problems this year have damaged NR recruitment.  Fewer people want to work for them at the moment.
*  The role of the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) in rail is unsustainable.  One example - it was never intended that the Secretary of State personally would be making the degree of decisions that he has to.
*  On the fence re the Digital Railway.  Noted that Mark Carne was very keen on it but he wants to see the figures.  Much closer track/train working needed to make it work.
*  Root and branch reform needed of systems (he referenced timetabling) set up in 1994 and still much the same now.
*  Very positive about the Rail Review and particularly about Keith Williams, who he knows well from the CAA» (Civil Aviation Authority - about).
*  NR has to regain the ability to listen.

Further points came out in response to questions:

*  Repeated what he had said in Parliament that the move to centralised timetable planning was a mistake but the key now is the transition.
*  Evidently Chris Grayling contacted Andrew on Sunday about the problem at Teignmouth, fearing it was a sea wall issue.
*  Happy to work with anyone in respect of providing infrastructure as long as they have the competences.  NR asset protection can sometimes be a bit too risk averse.  There needs to be a balance.
*  Must be much more realistic about aspirations for new stations.  He said that he had recently met the Wessex Route and some of the aspired for new stations on their list were unchanged from when he was with SWT (South West Trains) in 1997 and hadn't got any nearer being realised.  He said a lot of money had been wasted on ideas for stations for which the figures could never be made to stack up and NR had to have some hard conversations.  He said let's concentrate on the realistic aspirations. 
*  On enhancements, he said the DfT will be managing the pipeline of schemes for CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024).  People need to talk to the DfT first.  First priority for NR is to deliver the Govt's priorities.

He spoke very well and my overall impression is of a man with a mission.  All power to his elbow.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 20:45:28 by RichardB » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 20:51:13 »

*  On enhancements, he said the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) will be managing the pipeline of schemes for CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024).  People need to talk to the DfT first.  First priority for NR» (Network Rail - home page) is to delivering the Govt's priorities.

He spoke very well and my overall impression is of a man with a mission.  All power to his elbow.

He is a "political" appointment up to his appointment NR pretty much sort, interviewed and appointed its own CEO (Chief Executive Officer), now NR is a Government owned company and the one and only share holder they have appointed their man and make no mistake he is on a political agenda set by the DfT aka HMG.  HMG will of course do what is good for the tax payer and the travelling public  Roll Eyes

He is a railwayman time will tell if he truly is a Railwayman

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 20:56:54 »

I read these two statements:

...ruthless about not doing things that were less important but sapped time and energy

...and...

Must be much more realistic about aspirations for new stations.

...to mean that NR» (Network Rail - home page) will resist any attempt to expand the network. I can see the logic - get what you've got right before you grow it - but given the geological timescales required for rail investment projects to come to fruition, I can't see any reason to rejoice. Maybe it depends on where you live - in London, people get cross if they have to wait 5 minutes for a train; round here a lot of people have been waiting for 50 years...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 22:54:33 »

Graham asked me to post a note on Andrew Haines' talk at the GWR (Great Western Railway) Stakeholder Conference yesterday.

Andrew said that yesterday's conference was the first he had spoken at since taking up his new post as NR» (Network Rail - home page) CEO (Chief Executive Officer)

Tremendous report, thank you, Richard - and that on top of your unconventional journey home too.

Andrew has a number of excellent points / directions there.   He took First Great Western (as it was) when it was in something of a state with similarities to the state Network Rail is in, and pulled it into a much more positive position in what (looking back) felt like a very short time.   Network Rail is probably a bigger challenge in many ways, and I look forward to seeing developments that change certain issues for the better.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 00:14:32 »

Thanks Graham.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 02:02:49 »

I read these two statements:

...ruthless about not doing things that were less important but sapped time and energy

...and...

Must be much more realistic about aspirations for new stations.

...to mean that NR» (Network Rail - home page) will resist any attempt to expand the network. I can see the logic - get what you've got right before you grow it - but given the geological timescales required for rail investment projects to come to fruition, I can't see any reason to rejoice. Maybe it depends on where you live - in London, people get cross if they have to wait 5 minutes for a train; round here a lot of people have been waiting for 50 years...

I remember attending a GWR (Great Western Railway) Stakeholder Conference a few years back in Bristol when, completely out of the blue, a cocky, arrogant NR middle manager baldly stated that Corsham station would never reopen. Up until that point, the Corsham Station Campaign had valiantly kept hopes of reopening genuinely in the frame, and the prospects, whilst not being imminent, still seemed realistic in the not too distant future. However, from that point onwards the wind was completely taken out of Corsham's sails, and apart from the odd mention by politicians at election time, the profile and chance of success of the reopening proposal has been very much on the back burner ever since. It is a great shame to see Haines - up until now seen by many as a genuine potential NR progressive - effectively put forward and validate the same line in today's context.

I also remember how impressed I was by Haines when I witnessed his awesome "Burning Platform For Change" speech at TravelWatch South West in the late 2000s when he was FGW (First Great Western) top dog, and the real hope for the future that it gave those present. I'm glad i wasnt there yesterday - It strikes me as being very similar to the feeling you get from seeing one of your favourite rock stars years after the golden days, wishing you could just remember them as they were, with NR playing the role of the increasingly clapped out backing band with the whole combo waiting for something new, fresh, talented, effective and relevant to the fan base to come along and replace them.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 06:36:26 »

However we have seen huge amounts spent on studies of possible reopenings repeated time and time again without actually doing anything.  If a project really is a non starter then this is a waste of money and resources.  There has to be a balance here.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 08:01:40 »

One of the things I think he should do is a root and branch review of the GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) process.  Its no longer fit for purpose, and its non-flexible approach is the key thing thats causing ideas to be stifled.  Having been involved in quite a few 'studies' in the past, I can tell you it also costs a lot of money (as well as time), and for single option ideas is a complete waste.  Don't feel it will change though.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 09:15:38 »

I agree, subject to the retention of the Business Case calculation. Where money will always be tight, projects must stack up....
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 10:16:08 »

I have an idea that independent projects also get the wrong idea.  Network Rail should be empowered to tell people their idea is worthless, and never likely to be built. 

Stuff like the across Windsor link.  There was a stage where that group were even saying publically that NR» (Network Rail - home page) had approved the plans.  The probability was just that NR hadn’t publically disapproved the plan but were too polite to say so...

Paul
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 13:36:47 »

One of the things I think he should do is a root and branch review of the GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) process.  Its no longer fit for purpose, and its non-flexible approach is the key thing thats causing ideas to be stifled.  Having been involved in quite a few 'studies' in the past, I can tell you it also costs a lot of money (as well as time), and for single option ideas is a complete waste.  Don't feel it will change though.

I think the GRIP process is absolutely fit for purpose - if we acknowledge that its purpose is to slow down and, if possible, prevent investment.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: