I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:45:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • 5th birthday, TransWilts train: December 08, 2018
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5th Birthday, the TransWilts train  (Read 2903 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 23, 2018, 08:56:28 »

Saturday, 8th December 2018 will be the fifth birthday of the improved service on the TransWilts line from Westbury to Swindon via Trowbridge, Melksham and Chippenham.   For the previous decade, the line had been served only by early morning and evening pairs of trains that were of little practical use; in Winter, Melksham station had no trains at all during daylight hours.

Starting on 8th December 2013, a single extra one carriage train started a three year trial shuttling up and down between Westbury and Swindon, not only providing new round trip opportunities in itself, but also adding in sensible return options which made the morning and evening train pairs useful too.

Doubters thought that the goals set for the trial were impractically high. In practise the third year targets were reached in the first year, and come the end of the third year the service was confirmed as permanent.  And that was fantastic news, because people could at last plan their lives and careers around a daily commute.

To some extent, the service has been a victim of its own success. Figures due out in December (for year to March) will, I predict, show little change on last year - but that can largely be explained by the peak trains being so full that there wasn't room for any more passengers to be carried.   Eventually (9 months late) the train has been extended - as has the short platform at Melksham, and growth is under way again.   Walking through the 2 or 3 carriage train in recent weeks, I note quite a number of empty seats.  But counting passengers and comparing my total against what a single carriage train could carry, I'm seeing numbers rising strongly again - the growth and the TransWilts story is set to carry on for the next ten years.

If ever there had been a case of a line / service / station crying out for improvement, this was one.  Five years ago it moved from a useless service to a poor but usable one (it really needs to be hourly) and with reliability, fares, capacity, and a modicum of telling people about it, it could hardly fail.  The community has been very supportive and there are a number of individuals who have been singled out and shortlisted (or better) for national rail awards - Lee and Bob who are here, Paul and Peter too.  Without them, each in their own ways, the line wouldn't be where it is today.  My thanks to all of them - all very much around as we look forward, I'm delighted to say - as we look forward to the next 5 years.

Edit - correcting typos & splitting long sentence

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 08:05:15 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 05:24:41 »

Press note (with pictures) from the Melksham Rail User Group to the Melksham News

Saturday 8th December 2018 is the fifth anniversary of Melksham's improved train service. Over the five years passenger journey numbers have risen from around 3,000 to 75,000 per annum.  This year we have seem the extension of the platform at Melksham from 1 to 3 carriages in length, and the introduction of longer trains.  18 train services call at the station each weekday, 16 on Saturday and 13 on Sunday, alternating destinations of Swindon via Chippenham and Westbury via Trowbridge.

A big "Thank you" to Great Western, Wiltshire Council, the TransWilts Community Rail Partnership (chair, Paul Johnson) for all their hard work.  The Melksham Rail User Group ( chair Peter Blackburn, Secretary John Hamley) meets on 23rd January 2019, 19:30, Melksham Town Hall, all welcome. But please use the train long before then!

Pictured
1. Crowds gather to greet the first new train, December 2013
2. One of the new trains when they started in December 2013
3. Scene today (30 November 2018) from the same spot.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 09:46:43 »

I recall travelling on that first train along with a number of other august coffee shop members

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 16:29:31 »

From the local press (Melksham Independent News)

Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 12:26:36 »

Mine is the next day, I don't want it though?.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 17:39:55 »

I'm intrigued to know where the word "celebrated" came from in that article.

None of the press releases appear to use it, however it's been slipped into the published article and appears to suggest that something will actually be happening on Saturday - which is misleading at best. As far as I know there's nothing happening on the day, although if there's the sniff of a photo opportunity I daresay our alleged MP (Member of Parliament) Michelle Donellan might show up....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 20:05:42 »

I'm intrigued to know where the word "celebrated" came from in that article.

None of the press releases appear to use it, however it's been slipped into the published article and appears to suggest that something will actually be happening on Saturday - which is misleading at best. As far as I know there's nothing happening on the day, although if there's the sniff of a photo opportunity I daresay our alleged MP (Member of Parliament) Michelle Donellan might show up....

Hmmm ... we have a lot to celebrate with the rail service in this town, even if we do so quietly in our own individual ways some times.  I may very well take a personal trip down to the station for the 09:48 to Swindon to see it call and hopefully pick up a few people for the day out - people who didn't have the option over five years ago.

Soft launches and celebratory events that are offset from the actually anniversary are not uncommon - they're almost fashion.  I would not be at all surprised were such to be planned in a month or so, but that is not in the article.

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 15:20:59 »

Do I need to bring a belated birthday card with me tomorrow?  Grin

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 17:24:07 »

Hmmm ... we have a lot to celebrate with the rail service in this town, even if we do so quietly in our own individual ways some times.  I may very well take a personal trip down to the station for the 09:48 to Swindon to see it call and hopefully pick up a few people for the day out - people who didn't have the option over five years ago.

From Facebook

Five years ago today - 8th December 2013 - the train service at Melksham was stepped up to a useable level. First picture - one of the new trains soon after they started. Second picture - 8th December 2018 - at about the same time of day. 31 people got onto the train - not a special celebration but all day, every day. Truely, the train has made a big difference. Speaking with one of the passengers, she was asking about more trains ... disappointed at the current sparse service of one every 2 hours; she was shocked to learn that five years ago it was just two trains a day.

We have moved from an unusable service to one that still need stepping up - from 8 or 9 trains, to 13, to 16 per day each way. But please use it in the meantime too. A Melksham train leaflet is available at the TIC (Tourist Information Centre), the Town Hall, and the Library. Also to download at http://www.mrug.org.uk/Winterbrochure.pdf

+31 -5 .... 36 users for journeys to / from Melksham on that one train. On a bleak Saturday. No big sports crowds - just a normal day.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: