Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:08:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday, Paddington to Bath - request to transfer to earlier train & consequence  (Read 5910 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 13:02:27 »

One point not mentioned, is that IME (in my experience) customers who don't get the outcome they desire will almost always complain that the person giving them the unwanted news was rude, insulting, mocking or otherwise unsatisfactory.

Has any customer ever admitted that a railway worker who declined their request was polite?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 15:16:18 »

One point not mentioned, is that IME (in my experience) customers who don't get the outcome they desire will almost always complain that the person giving them the unwanted news was rude, insulting, mocking or otherwise unsatisfactory.

Has any customer ever admitted that a railway worker who declined their request was polite?

Being able to decline a request whilst still being helpful & not causing offence is a communication skill which should be part of any customer service operatives toolbox.

As we all know from long experience, communication is not an area in which GWR (Great Western Railway) excels.

It's often the way the song is sung as well as the lyrics which are important.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 23:28:51 »

Honestly, aside from her claim about how she was spoken to I don’t really agree with, or find it fair, to use a condition in order to get on an earlier train. Unless you’re willing to pay the difference you’re making a financial gain.
I accept sometimes there’s genuine reasons but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s people who exploit it.

Whenever these (not infrequent) incidents occur involving GWR (Great Western Railway) and disabled people, I have to pinch myself and remind myself that's it's 2018 and they are a customer facing business so how can this happen? How can their Customer service employees have such an appalling attitude? What sort of organisational culture allows it to happen?

Then I read posts like this one and it all becomes clear.

To be fair at least on this occasion GWR have come out swiftly, apologised and admitted that it is totally unacceptable - be interesting to hear the outcome of the investigation.

I did say aside from the way she claimed she was spoken to, i say claimed because we only have one side of the story.  A side some people seem very quick to accept as the gospel truth. 

The only answer to her question to travel earlier would that she would need to pay the difference.  There would be no reason to decline their request outright.  There’s no reason to mock, jeer, be rude etc etc, it’s a straightforward standard answer.  The problem comes when the customer doesn’t like the response, is constantly met with the same answer and then they resort to abuse.  This happens daily. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 18:28:39 »

A side some people seem very quick to accept as the gospel truth. 

Until such time as evidence to the contrary is forthcoming I'll chose to believe the reports from reputable media sources. Backed up by the swift corporate apology.

I have personal experience of some very questionable attitudes from staff at Paddington. And I've heard of the experiences of many other passengers there. Treated with disdain, contempt, refused travel with valid tickets, falsely accused of being abusive. This happens daily.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 21:29:03 »

Until such time as evidence to the contrary is forthcoming I'll chose to believe the reports from reputable media sources. Backed up by the swift corporate apology.

I have personal experience of some very questionable attitudes from staff at Paddington. And I've heard of the experiences of many other passengers there. Treated with disdain, contempt, refused travel with valid tickets, falsely accused of being abusive. This happens daily.

Reputable media sources.... there isn’t such a thing!  They’ve got a one sided account of events. Should these be proven to be untrue they don’t print retractions.  The “swift corporate apology” is standard practice.  If you don’t it’s bad PR (Public Relations), see recent events on RyanAir. 

Can’t really comment on what you allege as I’ve never witnessed anything.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 22:26:54 »

Reputable media sources.... there isn’t such a thing!  They’ve got a one sided account of events. Should these be proven to be untrue they don’t print retractions.  The “swift corporate apology” is standard practice.  If you don’t it’s bad PR (Public Relations), see recent events on RyanAir. 

Basically then your position is that the customers honesty is questionable, the fulsome apology (and presumably the refund too?) from GWR (Great Western Railway) is meaningless, the media can't be trusted and because you've never personally seen something you can't comment on whether it exists or not.......the lengths some people will go to in order to defend a narrative are incredible. I hope you get the staff loyalty award, you certainly deserve it!
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2018, 02:01:20 »

Basically then your position is that the customers honesty is questionable, the fulsome apology (and presumably the refund too?) from GWR (Great Western Railway) is meaningless, the media can't be trusted and because you've never personally seen something you can't comment on whether it exists or not.......the lengths some people will go to in order to defend a narrative are incredible. I hope you get the staff loyalty award, you certainly deserve it!

Pretty much, yes and that’s not a position restricted just to GWR. 
1.  Yes, the customers honesty is questionable.  We’ve had staff, not necessarily GWR, who have been accused of assault, sexual assault, abuse etc however, the complainants quickly withdraw there complaints once they are told there is CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) of the incident.  One particular incident recently whereby a passenger claimed a member of staff physically pushed them off a train and they fell out onto the platform causing injury.  CCTV showed another passenger opening the door the complainant was actually leaning against.  No staff member in the vicinity.  I suppose working in public services, not always the railway has taught me what customers can be like.
2.  I don’t believe apologies made by any company are all genuine.  It’s a public relations excercise to be seen to do the right thing.  The refund costs pennies to a company in the grand scheme of things and everyone loves a refund right.  In this particular incident, the allegation was made and the apology was pretty much instant, done before a significant furore built. No investigation required.  PR success. 
Look at the recent incident on RyanAir.  They failed to apologise for the racist incident onboard one of their flights and the backlash was huge. 
3.  I have never trusted the media, there’s always a bias. These days they will run with any story without any research or evidence. Twitter journalism. 
4.  If I haven’t seen something then I can’t comment. Pretty standard really.  I’m not gullible or naïve. No staff loyalty award required. Just a bit more clued up on the way the world works than some. Let’s hope you guys don’t end up on jury service!
In my book, if you want to talk to someone in an abrupt, rude, obnoxious manner than expect a reply to follow suit with limited information.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2018, 07:51:32 »

Taking a general view and not looking at this specific case

There's an element of the travelling public who will get upset (and more) if things don't run as they would wish

There's an element of staff who will reach in a very poor way indeed if confronted with what they find a difficult situation

Both behaviour patterns are very much worth attention with a view to reducing them - as the travelling public is a general anyone category, many of whom are rarely travellers, and staff are there on a daily basis, the forms of attention differ.  Train service providers do go to some lengths to address the issues, very much aware that if the elements mix there can be an explosion, and indeed that the threat of possible explosion can sometimes (a general comment, remember) be a very effective tactic.   Hasn't someone commented that attack is the best form of defence.

Current case?  I'm not coming up with a verdict.   As reported, shocking.  But then I have been shocked at the level of misreporting of so many things where I have known the full(er) story. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2018, 16:11:56 »

Pretty much, yes and that’s not a position restricted just to GWR. 
1.  Yes, the customers honesty is questionable.  We’ve had staff, not necessarily GWR, who have been accused of assault, sexual assault, abuse etc however, the complainants quickly withdraw there complaints once they are told there is CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) of the incident.  One particular incident recently whereby a passenger claimed a member of staff physically pushed them off a train and they fell out onto the platform causing injury.  CCTV showed another passenger opening the door the complainant was actually leaning against.  No staff member in the vicinity.  I suppose working in public services, not always the railway has taught me what customers can be like.
2.  I don’t believe apologies made by any company are all genuine.  It’s a public relations excercise to be seen to do the right thing.  The refund costs pennies to a company in the grand scheme of things and everyone loves a refund right.  In this particular incident, the allegation was made and the apology was pretty much instant, done before a significant furore built. No investigation required.  PR success. 
Look at the recent incident on RyanAir.  They failed to apologise for the racist incident onboard one of their flights and the backlash was huge. 
3.  I have never trusted the media, there’s always a bias. These days they will run with any story without any research or evidence. Twitter journalism. 
4.  If I haven’t seen something then I can’t comment. Pretty standard really.  I’m not gullible or naïve. No staff loyalty award required. Just a bit more clued up on the way the world works than some. Let’s hope you guys don’t end up on jury service!
In my book, if you want to talk to someone in an abrupt, rude, obnoxious manner than expect a reply to follow suit with limited information.

Cynicism stems from disappointment. Cynical and faithless people were not always like that. They were filled with possibilities and hope as kids. But they tried and perhaps failed".
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: