22:36 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 22:12:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR to start charging for posting rail tickets  (Read 3379 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2018, 13:39:11 »

Received by email this morning:

This is to tell you about our new ticket postal charges that will come into effect from 29 October 2018.

• First class post will increase to £1.
• Next day delivery will rise from £6 to £7.50.

Covering our costs
These charges are being introduced to cover our postal costs only. We will not be using these to profit from our customers. Many other websites already do this and some do charge more. We still won't charge you a separate booking fee.

Mobile tickets for free
You may find it more convenient to use mobile tickets that are available as a free alternative on many of our routes – this means you no longer need to queue at a station to buy or collect your ticket. Download the free GWR (Great Western Railway) mobile app to your mobile and enjoy paperless travel.

Exemption examples
If you're travelling from a station where it isn't possible to collect your ticket free of charge, via a ticket office, ticket machine or an e-Ticket, then the postal charge will not apply.

Yours
The GWR team

To be fair to GWR they are one of the few rail ticket retailers who haven’t up to now charged for postage. I will still continue to buy from them for the nectar points...for what they are worth!
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 16:38:11 »

Virgin East Coast always had free postage although I haven't ordered from the new company yet to see if that carried over (and the Nectar points).

Trainline did always annoy me with the postage costs and also the bit at the end trying to get me to sign up for 'discounts' for a monthly charge.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 17:28:08 »

It's fair enough really. Postage isn't actually a free service, after all.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 18:26:49 »

It's fair enough really. Postage isn't actually a free service, after all.

...and plenty of free alternatives.

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 18:39:03 »

I have no issue with this on the basis there are several free methods. Whats a 1st class stamp these days 65p?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 18:44:58 »

67p
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 19:45:00 »

To be fair to GWR (Great Western Railway) they are one of the few rail ticket retailers who haven’t up to now charged for postage. I will still continue to buy from them for the nectar points...for what they are worth!

#MeToo, and when their website is down, I switch to Transpennine Express for the day. Always using the credit card that gives me 3% cashback until I hit the limit for the month, then switch to another with a lower cashback, always collect from the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine). Those Nectar points can add up over a year - every little helps, as they say.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 21:06:14 »

Those Nectar points can add up over a year - every little helps, as they say.

Nectar don't say that though. That's Tesco's tag line.  Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 21:31:29 »

Nectar don't say that though. That's Tesco's tag line.  Tongue

Well I never! That could explain the funny looks I get in Sainsbury. Some of them, anyway.

Now, please!
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 15:34:40 »

Adding a journey from a station without ToD facilities will no doubt override it; Lympstone Commando to Lympstone Village child off-peak day single @ 70p, say. This may have come up before when XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) started charging postage on certain journeys.

I usually collect mine from a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine), but when I have ordered by post they come very quickly with a return address in Crawley.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 16:09:01 »

Adding a journey from a station without ToD facilities will no doubt override it; Lympstone Commando to Lympstone Village child off-peak day single @ 70p, say. This may have come up before when XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) started charging postage on certain journeys.

I usually collect mine from a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine), but when I have ordered by post they come very quickly with a return address in Crawley.

Devonport to Dockyard Child Single is even cheaper. 65p!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 16:10:09 »

..and I remember when a child single from Reading to Reading West was 3p.....
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 18:48:52 »

Majority of our journeys are from Lostwithiel.  Happy days
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 20:52:19 »

Creepy.

..and I remember when a child single from Reading to Reading West was 3p.....

I used to get up i't morning half an hour before I went to bed, eat 'andful o' cold gravel, lick th'road clean wi' th'tongue...

Now, please!
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 21:37:39 »

You were lucky  !.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: