Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
17:29 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 15:20:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[71] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[52] Who needs a travel agent these days?
[38] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[30] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[28] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR replacement bus services - absolutely DREADFUL!!!  (Read 7594 times)
XPT

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2018, 20:15:28 »

The current GWR (Great Western Railway) replacement bus services in the Bristol area for the next few weeks are absolutely DREADFUL!  That's my experience of them already anyway.  And I've only been using them since yesterday.  I shall tell you about my experiences so far of them.

MONDAY 29th OCTOBER
---------------------------
I started using them yesterday morning.  And to be honest there was no problem atall on my first journey on them.  I got the 0945 service from Redland(the 0935 Clifton Down-Bristol Temple Meads) to Stapleton Road.  And it arrived and departed bang on time, and arrived at the Stapleton Road stop just before the 1001 scheduled departure time.  All good so far I thought.  But then it went downhill fast from there, when I got my homeward bound journey that evening.  The scheduled departure time for a Clifton Down service from Stapleton Road was 1759.  I got to the bus stop just a few minutes before then so that I would get it.  Anyway time was ticking by and it wasn't turning up.  There was supposed to be the next one due at 1814.  But so far no sign of that turning up on time either.  I did notice the 1805 service to Bristol Parkway turned up 11 minutes at 1816.   Anyway, the Clifton Down service didn't turn up till 1825.  Whether that was actually the 1759 or 1814 service I don't know.  I appreciate the traffic is heavy at this time of day and causing delays.  But in that case, what happened to the 1744 service too?  And why weren't these timetables scheduled to accommodate heavier traffic at these peak times?

TUESDAY 30TH OCTOBER
----------------------------

And today my experience was even worst than yesterday.  I got to the Redland replacement bus stop at 0850, in time for the 0900 service to Bristol Temple Meads - where I would be departing the bus again at Stapleton Road.  But the time was ticking on by 0900, and there was no sign of it.  At about 0916, I did see two rail replacement bus services in a row heading up towards Clifton Down.  I assume these were the late running 0903 service, and the 0918 service.  I notice one of them was a gold liveried bus.  Anyway, with the time now well past 0900 I assumed the 0900 service had been cancelled/not running for some reason.   The next service wasn't due till 0945.  At this point, I could have instead decided to get two normal bus services to work and I'd arrive there at roughly about 1005.  But I decided to just go down to Sainsbury's on Gloucester Road to get a few things, and then get  that 0945 service, and I'd still arrive at that same Stapleton Road bust stop at about the same time anyway.  Anyway, at about 0948 I then saw that same gold liveried bus coming round the corner from Redland Grove and into South Road.  As it was approaching the bus stop I put my hand out for it to stop. It had GWR on the destination display.  But then to my utter astonishment I could see the driver of the bus just shook his head at me as if to say "NO" and then just sailed on by down South Road without stopping at the rail replacement bus stop!  I couldn't believe it.  Why an earth did he not stop??!!  I was seething with annoyance at this point.  There's nothing more annoying than putting your hand out for a bus, and the driver just shakes his head and  doesn't stop for you!!!  This is absolutely appalling and unacceptable!  And with the next rail replacement service towards Temple Meads not then being until 1045, there's no way I was going to wait for that one(if that one actually turned up and stopped there I don't know!).  So I had no choice then but to just give up TRYING to get a rail replacement bus service to Stapleton Road.  And so I just got two normal bus services there instead.  And arriving there about 1 hour 15 minutes later than I should have done!!

And tonight on the homeward bound journey.  Well pretty much the same as last night really.  The 1759 service didn't turn up on time, the 1814 service didn't turn up on time.  By the way, I noticed that the 1805 Bristol Parkway service, arrived 20 minutes late at 1825!   And then at 1828 I could see a double decker bus approaching.  I could see it wasn't a 48, 48A, 49, or 49A, and so I assumed this would be the rail replacement service I want.  But as it got closer I could see it had NOT FOR PUBLIC USE on the destination display.  "Oh god!  That's not it either!".  But I notice it had people onboard the bus, and it was indicating to pull into the bus stop.  Even though it said "NOT FOR PUBLIC USE" on the destination display and thinking it may have been some charter bus service, after it pulled into the bus stop and let a few people out, I then boarded and then asked the driver "Where are you going?".  To which she replied "Montpelier, Redland, and Clifton Down.".  Ah good that's the bus I wanted, so I got on for my journey home.  But whyever did it say "NOT FOR PUBLIC USE" on the destination display?  That's not a very helpful and appropriate destination display is it?   But anyway, as with last night my bus home turned up half hour late than it should have.  Whether that was the 1759, 1814 or 1829 service I don't know. 

Also on the National Rail website on their live departures, is useless as they  show these rail replacement bus services as all being ON TIME.  But they're not all on time!

So so far I am not impressed by these rail replacement services atall.  Absolutely bloody dreadful! They're either very late or particular workings are cancelled, and then one driver at least who failed to stop and shook his head at me when I put my hand out!!   That instance was particularly annoying.  And I shall be emailing First Bristol to complain about these services and the driver of that particular service this morning - the 0935 Clifton Down-Bristol Temple Meads. 

Has anyone else here been using these rail replacement services?  Are your experiences of them as bad as mine?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 22:13:05 by XPT » Logged
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 22:38:38 »

I've read on Twitter complaints of drivers lost such as in one case, a tour of Bristol city centre.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 22:44:58 »

Since the previous post I have come across a GWR (Great Western Railway) reply via Twitter:-

Sorry to hear this, normally replacement bus drivers are well briefed on the stopping pattern and route they need to take - Sorry this wasn't in evidence today and for the delay it caused.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 10:37:49 »

I travelled back from the London direction on Sunday 28th October and was caught up in the wires down chaos meaning it took me two trains to get back to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains). Wanting a 73 back to Centre to connect with a Y1, the last of a Sunday, I noticed an individual looking at the timetable board on the lampost and turned and was typically 'looking lost'. I called out to him where did he want to go and he said he was looking for the RR service to Parkway. I was able to point him over the other side of the incline to the mass of people lurking in the shadows. As he crossed the road another passenger waiting near me apologised for listening into my conversation said is that right Parkway over there. I reaffirmed and they too headed over to that ever growing queue. The irony of it was, the lamp post I was stood by had a "Rail Replacement" notice attached to it but didn't say where to. It was dark as it was the first day of winter time, traffic in the TM(resolve) area was at gridlock and no one from GWR (Great Western Railway), agency/temp Customer Service staff to be seen. I made it my business to announce that if any passengers waiting for a rail replacement bus to Parkway station, these buses were departing on the other side of the incline to which about 8 people moved and headed over the road. There must have been about 200 -250 persons waiting there when 2 coaches approached and as I left on a delayed 73 I guessed that all those waiting from what I could see from the 73 wouldn't all get on those 2 coaches. I missed the last Y1 and had to travel onto the Bus Station for a 50 minute wait for the Y2. I narrated the previous nights event on Monday to the meeting of the Friends of Yate Station at which both the new Parkway Station manager was present as also was a representative from First Bus as the meeting morphed from being The Friends of Yate Station to The Yate and Surrounding Area Transport Forum. I'll try and write up a brief report of that meeting on a new thread when I have an hour or so to spare.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 13:29:13 »

There was a rail replacement bus service in and out of Warminster the other weekend. I mistook it for the annual vintage bus running day !
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 19:03:01 »

Saw a RR vehicle on Bristol Centre today, might have been a Severn Riviera Line RR service but the livery intrigued me, X76 Glasgow - Ayr, must be desperate for vehicles to cover the current RR operation to bring vehicles all the way down from Scotland to run the current RR's.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 20:09:18 by martyjon » Logged
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 22:21:03 »

My journeys on these rail replacement buses yesterday and today were thankfully OK, compared to how dreadful they were on Monday and Tuesday.

Yesterday morning, after the 0900 service from Redland not turning up on Tuesday I played it safe by getting the 0830 service instead.  And thankfully that turned up on time.  No more than about 10 people on there though.  And the 1759 service from Stapleton Road towards Clifton Down actually turned up on time too, and no having to wait about for half hour again like the previous evenings.

Today I got the 0845 service from Redland(the 0835 Clifton Down-Bristol Temple Meads).  And unless any people got on at Lawrence Hill, I was the only person on this service!  I guess a lot of people are not bothering with these rail replacement bus services and traveling by alternate means instead, or they gave up after experiencing how bad it was at the start of the week?  And the 1759 service from Stapleton Road towards Clifton Down again thankfully turned up on time too.

I'll see what it's like tomorrow!

I have emailed GWR (Great Western Railway) to complain about that lousy driver on Tuesday who just shook his head at me and didn't stop when I put my hand out when waiting at the clearly marked Rail Replacement bus stop!  Will probably have to wait nearly 2 weeks for a reply!  Let's see what sort of reply I get to that.
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 11:57:42 »

Today I got the 0845 service from Redland(the 0835 Clifton Down-Bristol Temple Meads).  And unless any people got on at Lawrence Hill, I was the only person on this service!  I guess a lot of people are not bothering with these rail replacement bus services and traveling by alternate means instead

I'd say that is most certainly the case!

For my own commute, instead of getting the train from Montpellier to Temple Meads and then onwards to Keynsham I have changed to either walking into town and then getting the number 349 bus to Keynsham or getting the number 73 bus to Temple Meads then the train to Keynsham. It helps that the weather hasn't been too bad this week (just a little cold) so the extra walking has been ok, and I already pay for a monthly bus ticket anyway. Actually it has been decent enough that I may use the buses more often, as whilst they are not as convenient as the train, it saves me money and it has actually been better reliability wise than I expected.
rich0099

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 13:14:17 »

There were the inevitable teething problems to and from SVB at the beginning of this week (29/10 - 02/11/18).

The main complaint of the driver(s) was that they weren't given enough route training. With the evenings being dark - it led to quite a few missed turnings, circuitous routes and protracted journey times.

Today, things seem to have settled down (from my SVB-CFN (Clifton Down station)-SVB journeys anyway) - I just pray they remain stable for the rest of the scheduling. I understand the schools were on half term this week - so I can only assume all transport systems will be under a much greater strain next week.

Scheduling aside - the biggest problem I've found is coping with travel-sickness as the buses swing and judder their way around the route! The first couple of days - I did not feel well...  Sad
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 18:42:51 »

I have seen reports that a bus - believed to be an empty rail replacement vehicle - has collided with Bristol Road bridge near Bristol Parkway and lost its roof as a result.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 18:52:11 »

As discussed on the electrification thread:

Good picture in this evening's Bristol Post, showing the state of electrification at Hatchet Road (just after Bristol Parkway):

Image from Bristol Post

Incidentally, I can't help noticing that this is another bridge where the height warning is given in US Customary units only - is there a pattern emerging here? https://goo.gl/maps/uEs1mQrrHaC2
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 19:26:26 »

Me again with a further update.  And from my experience, things haven't settled down today!

I mentioned that Wednesday and Thursday I actually found no problems with the services I boarded.  They all turned up on time.  I did mention yesterday that the 0835 Clifton Down-Bristol Temple Meads it appeared I was the only person onboard for the whole service(unless anyone boarded at the final intermediate stop Lawrence Hill).  I was concerned that because I was the only person on that service yesterday, that I thought GWR (Great Western Railway) wouldn't bother running this service today because of lack of passengers.  And guess what, I waited for it and it didn't turn up!

My journey home tonight was horrendous.  I got to the Stapleton Road bus stop at a few minutes before the 1759 service.  And the same problem as Monday and Tuesday but a bit worst.  The 1759 didn't turn up, the 1814 didn't turn up, and the 1829 didn't turn up on time.  Just as I was about to give up and get two normal First Bus services home instead, a bus finally turned up at 1840.  After being stuck at that bus stop waiting for 45 minutes!  Incidentally, I noticed that the 1805 Bristol Parkway service still hadn't turned up by then!  What happened to that? - service cancelled altogether or the driver went completely the wrong way again?!

These services are absolutely hopeless!

As mentioned I have complained in particular about that lousy driver on Tuesday morning that just shook his head at me and failed to stop for me to board.  And I'll have to wait nearly 2 weeks for a reply!  My gut feeling though is that because the Rail Replacement Bus Service bus stop toward Clifton Down is now in Redland Grove, rather than South Road where it used to be located - is that that driver probably thought that the Rail Replacement Bus Service bus stop towards Bristol Temple Meads was the nearest bus stop on the other side of Redland Grove, and wasn't informed that it's actually in South Road where the Rail Replacement Bus Service bus stop is clearly marked.  It's very clear by the looks of it that a lot of drivers have not been fully trained of the routes to take and the bus stops to stop at for these services.  This should have been done well in advance of these 3 weeks of Rail Replacement Bus Services! Either way, I'm still mad that that driver just shook his head at me and failed to stop. 

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 19:34:58 »

Me again with a further update.  And from my experience, things haven't settled down today!

Many thanks for the updates.   Reports I heard in Bristol today suggested inadequate bus provision for the peak train off Severn Beach (presumably on the expectation that there would be a lot lot less people than normally catch the train) and buses taking twice as long as planned between Parkway and Temple Meads, even though they were scheduled very generously.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 19:43:59 »

I am at a loss to understand how that Applegates double decker lost its roof near Parkway this afternoon, that bridge is used by dozens of double deckers daily, the 19 and the 73 being just 2 of the routes I can think of for now and there has been all the RR traffic to Abbey Wood in the past weeks too, mysterious.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 20:06:20 »

I am at a loss to understand how that Applegates double decker lost its roof near Parkway this afternoon, that bridge is used by dozens of double deckers daily, the 19 and the 73 being just 2 of the routes I can think of for now and there has been all the RR traffic to Abbey Wood in the past weeks too, mysterious.

Arched bridge, side of arch??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: