Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
Delayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 15:59:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Evesham incident and possible follow-up strike action  (Read 16691 times)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« on: November 05, 2018, 11:35:11 »

On the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) website:

RAIL UNION RMT will ballot all guards and drivers at Paddington Depot for strike action and action short of a strike over the victimisation and decision to sack Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) rail guard and union activist Ben Frederick.

Frederick has been sacked following a disciplinary hearing this week after he was assaulted at Evesham Station by a member of the public while working his train as a guard (train manager) on Saturday 11 August 2018.

I have no knowledge of the circumstances of this incident, but I don't think it's too controversial to say that Evesham passengers can sometimes be a handful...
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 12:02:49 »

My understanding is that he hit back....but please correct me if I'm wrong
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 12:18:59 »

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/members-updates/suspension-from-duty-b-frederick-train-manager--gwr251018/

To All Great Western Railway Members

Our Ref: BR2/4/12

25th October 2018

Dear Colleague

SUSPENSION FROM DUTY, B. FREDERICK, TRAIN MANAGER – GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY

I have received the following resolution from our Paddington No 1 Branch with regards to the above matter:

“This RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) Paddington No.1 branch deplores the decision of Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) to suspend our member Ben Frederick from duty pending investigation of a vexatious allegation against him of assault.

Bro’ Frederick was assaulted on duty at Evesham station by a member of the public when working his train as a Guard (Train Manager) on Saturday 11 August 2018. Bro’ Frederick reported the assault on him to his employer (GWR Duty Control) and to the British Transport Police on the same day. He was told that BTP (British Transport Police) would contact him to take a statement. He has never been contacted by BTP about his assault.

5 September 2018 Bro’ Frederick was suspended from duty by his employer pending investigation of an allegation that he had assaulted a member of the public on 11 August. He has been suspended for over a month in breach of GWR’s own guidelines and agreement with this union that investigatory suspensions of staff should not exceed 28 days.

Earlier this month when interviewed by an investigating manager he was shown CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) footage, which clearly shows the member of the public assaulting him by spitting at him and hitting him with a mobile phone. Bro’ Frederick was also verbally abused by the same person using racist insults. No complaint against Bro’ Frederick has been received by GWR from the member of the public and it appears that the employer has instigated the current investigation and suspension of our member.

This branch believes that GWR is failing to protect our members who are in the frontline of dealing with often abusive member of the public. We believe that GWR is abusing its own investigatory suspension policy. We note that Bro’ Frederick is a Health & Safety Representative for train managers at Paddington depot and a stalwart member of this union. We call on the NEC» (National Exhibition Centre - about) to ensure that Bro’ Frederick is given all legal and Industrial support to ensure he is reinstated without further delay.”

Your union’s National Executive Committee has recently considered the matter and note with grave concerns the sentiments contained within the resolution.

The RMT deplores the response from GWR following a member of the public racially abusing and physically assaulting Brother Frederick by spitting at him and hitting him repeatedly with a mobile phone, whilst he was carrying out his duties.

Instead of management fulfilling their duty to protect a member of frontline staff who found himself in a dangerous conflict situation, GWR levelled gross misconduct charges against Brother Frederick.

The Executive Committee has taken the decision to ballot all our GWR Guard and Driver members located at Paddington Depot for strike action and action short of a strike, unless Brother Frederick is immediately reinstated to his substantive role at his Disciplinary Hearing on Friday 26th October 2018.

Furthermore, I have written to GWR demanding that the scapegoating of frontline staff ends immediately and that management give a commitment to the RMT that our members who suffer abuse and assaults from members of the public are totally protected.

I will, of course, keep you fully advised on any further developments.

Best wishes.

Mick Cash
General Secretary
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 12:22:25 »

More here with a lovely picture of the bruvvers. I wonder if they know how ridiculous they look?

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-to-go-ahead-with-ballot-of-paddington-depot-members/
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 13:11:43 »

More here with a lovely picture of the bruvvers. I wonder if they know how ridiculous they look?

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-to-go-ahead-with-ballot-of-paddington-depot-members/

I'm with you there Bro' Taplow........... Roll Eyes
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 13:13:58 »

A couple of them look suitably embarrassed.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 13:23:19 »

They seem perfectly in tune with modern sentiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdOCWUgwiWs

I'll get my coat.

(And my loon-pants)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 13:36:53 »

I'm with you there Bro' Taplow........... Roll Eyes

They could at least have got someone to choreograph it to the extent that they all raised the same arm......🙈
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 14:22:41 »

I notice they don't say what the CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) shows or doesn't show about the allegation of Frederick assulating the passenger.

And which religious order is Frederick a member of?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 15:11:57 »

As its a disciplinary matter, and could lead to a court case, I think not sharing any evidence is the correct thing to do?
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 16:07:53 »

As its a disciplinary matter, and could lead to a court case, I think not sharing any evidence is the correct thing to do?
I did think that, but the press release from the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) did say that the CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) "clearly shows the member of the public assaulting him by spitting at him and hitting him with a mobile phone" and presumably the passenger could also be charged and it end up in court.

Is suspension a standard GWR (Great Western Railway) procedure if someone is accused of an assault?

There is something odd about this whole process as in  the press release it states he was suspended on the 5th Sept, the hearing was on the 26th Oct, yet they only called for a ballot on the 25th Oct (7 weeks later). It seems to me that they don't think they would win a ballot, otherwise they would have called it earlier, and are just trying to bounce the disciplinary hearing into lifting the suspension with the threat of a strike.

I notice that the hearing was set for the 26th Oct, so do we know what happened?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 16:11:59 »

He was dismissed - hence the ballot....
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 16:58:26 »

Though he has the right to appeal, which hasn’t yet happened.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 17:34:34 »

Though he has the right to appeal, which hasn’t yet happened.

Eh? Why would someone not appeal if they felt they'd been wrongly dismissed?
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 20:38:50 »

I meant the appeal hearing hasn’t yet happened.  Mind you, I’m not sure if he has actually formally lodged an appeal yet.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: