Delayed
11:52 London Paddington to Hereford
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 12:56:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[121] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[49] Signage - not making it easy ...
[10] IETs at Melksham
[9] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stations with ... photo booths  (Read 3188 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 06, 2018, 16:51:51 »

Don't forget you'll need to get a Photocard. It must be carried at all times you are using a Weekly Season. I believe the ticket examiners/conductors carry the blanks on board. Well, in my day, the lovely Rena did. You'll need a passport sized photo. It's helpful if this is of yourself.

Amazing how rarely we notice facilities we don't use

Does your station have a photobooth for passport pictures for Photocards?

I know of the one at Chippenham (I should, I had some responsibility there as CRO for the designation) but I can't work out what good it is INSIDE the ticketed area ...   And I know there is not one at Melksham.

Where else are their photo booths?

Edit - correcting typo
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 21:01:51 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 17:05:00 »

I took my photo for a rail photocard at home. Handheld digital camera whilst stood against a magnolia background. Cropped to head and shoulders and compiled on my computer a contact sheet of the correct passport sized dimensions, then printed onto cheap gloss paper. Admittedly you do need those elements to hand. I just happened to have them at the time I got my first Season Ticket.

You don't need to comply rigidly with passport rules for a rail photocard.

As for photo booths. Many branches of Boots, even relatively small ones have one. Boots in Clifton Down Shopping Centre next to the station has one. Many Post Offices also have them, as do major supermarkets.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 17:11:45 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 17:11:43 »

Something that could easily be added to the station facilities page on the National Rail website for each station.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
marky7890

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 18:43:44 »

Truro has one outside the ticket office on Platform 2, although you need to go through the ticket barriers to get to it.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 20:55:57 »

Didcot Parkway has a photo booth next to the Spar.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 21:50:07 »

Taunton has one. Again, inside the gateline.

Rather hidden. You'd never see it unless you use the lift to platform 5.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/HotspotDetails.aspx?stdCode=SME_TAU&fullsize=16051

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 22:18:18 »

I took my photo for a rail photocard at home. Handheld digital camera whilst stood against a magnolia background. Cropped to head and shoulders and compiled on my computer a contact sheet of the correct passport sized dimensions, then printed onto cheap gloss paper. Admittedly you do need those elements to hand. I just happened to have them at the time I got my first Season Ticket.

You don't need to comply rigidly with passport rules for a rail photocard.

As for photo booths. Many branches of Boots, even relatively small ones have one. Boots in Clifton Down Shopping Centre next to the station has one. Many Post Offices also have them, as do major supermarkets.

I tried that for my latest passport. I took several photos and had to reject all of them because the lighting in my home with or without flash was not good enough. Every photo against a white-ish background had a shadow which the passport office will not accept. Eventually I ended up popping to Boots and using one of the new digital photo booths that gives you a code to transmit your photos to the passport office with your renewal application. I think it cost £6

Incidentally I quite like Burgundy coloured passports.  Wink
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 10:32:08 »

The one at Weston has recently been removed to do with the remodelling of the foyer / reception area for the new ticket barriers

Interestingly the last railcard I bought ( a two for 2 one) I uploaded the pictures online and the card was posted to me
The photocard with my annual rail ticket is one I had done 14 years ago - just about still going
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 21:40:10 »

The photocard with my annual rail ticket is one I had done 14 years ago - just about still going

My photocard is about the same age but sadly will need replacing upon renewal next month. My photo is now very blurry, the consequence perhaps of it being in my back pocket most of the time and getting sweaty. If I am ever offered a smartcard to replace my paper ticket I fear I will snap it just by sitting on it.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 22:35:43 »

I tried that for my latest passport. I took several photos and had to reject all of them because the lighting in my home with or without flash was not good enough. Every photo against a white-ish background had a shadow which the passport office will not accept. Eventually I ended up popping to Boots and using one of the new digital photo booths that gives you a code to transmit your photos to the passport office with your renewal application. I think it cost £6

I did manage to do my passport picture at home and send it digitally, despite the only white background available being the inside of the bathroom door. I did have a lamp trained on that to eliminate the shadows, and I was also controlling the camera, which was on a tripod, remotely from a tablet. With all that set up, the big problem is how to stop doing retakes to get the result just so! Then, after all that, when the passport came back the picture was printed with the colour very washed out - technical issues, no doubt.
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 12:44:25 »

Tiverton Parkway has one in the ticket hall.

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: