Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:32:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Defective on-train PA systems  (Read 3862 times)
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: November 11, 2018, 22:41:47 »

I appear to have identified a problem during the course of my recent rail rover jaunts, and it has been confirmed (probably) on subsequent railway journeys. This is that the PA (Public Address) systems on some trains are either crap in the first place, or poorly maintained. Brief examples follow, the first involved a full and standing XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) train running south from Brum. I was standing to Cheltenham, which didn't exactly help my mood at the time Wink

We were running exceptionally slowly between Bromsgrove and Ashchurch (not all the way - just between Spetchley and Abbotswood for those like me who know the route by the inch...) losing 13 minutes. When we got to Cheltenham I saw the guard and suggested that it would have been helpful if he'd made an announcement about it. He said he had - there was a level crossing failure. I told him that I didn't bloody hear it.... Hmmm...

A few days later I'm on another XC train from Reading to Brum and the guards announcements were barely audible. Then the train catering guy came on the PA and his voice was booming. As the guard came through checking tickets, it was clear that the bloke could project his voice very well. So I told him about this and, to cut a long story short, it turned out that one of the microphones on the train was crap. He stopped using it and used the other one(s) and his voice boomed merrily.

I was then on a Chippenham to Westbury 2-car class 165. The announcements were fine, and then at Melksham the family from hell got on -screaming kids, screaming parents screaming at screaming kids - you get the idea... I went to the next coach, and the announcements in there were virtually inaudible again. I did tell the guard outside Westbury station (he was there having a fag the same as I was) and he promised to make a note of it. Whether he did is a moot point because when I went back to the platform the DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) we came down on was just leaving with another crew, but that's a different matter.

Whilst I don't doubt that there are some lazy surly buggers around in the ranks of train crews who don't make announcements, these discoveries put a different light on the matter, where some staff may indeed be making the announcements but they aren't being heard by the passengers. It is also difficult to see how an indivudual guard or driver is going to know that there is fault on his particular PA system unless one of the passengers says something and, as most of 'em just get on and stay in the same seat until they get off, they aren't going to know anyway.

Whilst I appreciate that an effective PA system is a long way down the priorities list behind getting trains to turn wheels so that they can get out into revenue-earning service, I wonder what views and experiences there are out there, especially from people involved in the daily repair & maintenance functions?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 22:53:14 »

Well, in the modern day rules, a train with a defective PA (Public Address) shouldn't enter service.  I always wondered how a DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) train driver was supposed to check it was working OK though!  Wink

Volume and clarity vary massively between types of train, and even trains of the same type.  Newer trains often generally have better speakers and PA systems, and generally you stand a better chance of hearing when it's an electric train which has air-conditioning for obvious reasons.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 23:03:20 »

I appear to have identified a problem during the course of my recent rail rover jaunts, and it has been confirmed (probably) on subsequent railway journeys. This is that the PA (Public Address) systems on some trains are either crap in the first place, or poorly maintained. ...

Audabilty often seems to have been a problem om 15x units ... not sure about 16x yet.

Also a problem with automated systems telling porkies ... announcing "Melksham" for Chippenham the other day, for example.   Problem also on IET (Intercity Express Train) "next stop Bath Spa" announcement as we left Didcot on a Paddington train, and "next stop Neath" as we left Cardiff on another ... at least the first two letters were right as Newport was next, and the train manager followed up with a joke telling us not to believe everything the train told us, and making a correct (and audible) announcement.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 23:35:23 »

I remember on May 31st there was a weather warning and my 15:?? service to Cheltenham was cancelled, so I hung on an hour and waited for the next train. Boarded the 16:30 that was a ten car train however crammed due to the Cheltenham cancelled, Bristol and Swansea cancelled and next Swansea was five coaches. This was my only second time on an IET (Intercity Express Train) and the previous one was from Swindon to Didcot, so very short. 

This women was moaning all the time at from London to Swindon about the new trains; even her friend had enough it was like she was talking to herself. She mentions seats, short forms the lot; which I agreed with once until she mentioned it as many times as she could until I got annoyed. The very nice Train Manager (who I happened to have on my first 800 trip) announces over the PA (Public Address) about the 50mph speed restriction between Swindon and Temple Meads and because of our delay we would terminate at Temple Meads. No issue for me but she was going to Weston so I laughed when she moaned over the announcement. I politely asked her to stop talking so I can hear the PA and then she moans about the fact they never do anything useful.

Whether she is still on the 16:30 moaning, not realising that it terminated at Bristol or not, my point is to show some respect for passengers who need the information of the announcement.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 23:57:06 »

Well, in the modern day rules, a train with a defective PA (Public Address) shouldn't enter service.  I always wondered how a DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) train driver was supposed to check it was working OK though!  Wink

Isn't that the point? How would a deficiency be discovered, or even a total failure? I guess that for oral announcements (not "manual" - that would mean using your hand, like by pressing a button, wouldn't it?) whoever is doing it will hear something from the nearest speaker, so know if it really doesn't work at all. Otherwise it's down to passenger (or other crew) feedback, for which they have to know there was something to hear.

Is any testing part of routine maintenance? And does that measure sound levels? I suspect being too quiet in one carriage may well be missed, even if testing is done.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 09:55:28 »

Isn't that the point? How would a deficiency be discovered, or even a total failure? I guess that for oral announcements (not "manual" - that would mean using your hand, like by pressing a button, wouldn't it?) whoever is doing it will hear something from the nearest speaker, so know if it really doesn't work at all. Otherwise it's down to passenger (or other crew) feedback, for which they have to know there was something to hear.

Is any testing part of routine maintenance? And does that measure sound levels? I suspect being too quiet in one carriage may well be missed, even if testing is done.

This is very much the point. To oversimplify, a PA system has 3 basic components - a microphone at one end, a speaker at the other, and a cable linking the two. Whilst if, for example, you are doing a sound check on a PA system on stage it becomes immediately obvious if one component is under-performing or not working because all the speakers are surrounding you, this wouldn't be the case with, say, an 8 coach HST (High Speed Train). The system might appear to be working normally when tested, but you might have a speaker 5 coaches away which is just giving out a crackle. In that circumstance, unless you had an observer in each coach or were recording what could be heard in each coach as you were testing it, there could be faults in the system that go un-noticed.

On the matter of inaccurate automated announcement, I initially found these amusing. The first one I heard, when we were just coming out of the western portal of Box Mill Lane tunnel, was: “Welcome to this Great Western Railway service to Bristol, calling at Reading, Didcot Parkway, Swindon, Chippenham, Bath and Bristol Temple Meads. The next stop will be Reading”

But then I started to think about it more deeply. Not everybody on that train is going to be as familiar with the inter-station surroundings as me, and I am fairly confident that that automated announcement put the fear of the Almighty into a few passengers on that train as they now thought they had got on the wrong one and were going the wrong way.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 10:53:07 »

But then I started to think about it more deeply. Not everybody on that train is going to be as familiar with the inter-station surroundings as me, and I am fairly confident that that automated announcement put the fear of the Almighty into a few passengers on that train as they now thought they had got on the wrong one and were going the wrong way.

I totally agree.  And incorrect information from the PA (Public Address) can add insult to injury where the scrolling displays get it wrong too - our amusement is someone else's fear of the almighty.   And the knife can be turned int he wound where platform staff give wrong advise.    Any one of these things will / can happen occasionally - but the stories seem far, far too common.  My view - a relatively small investment in getting information and systems right would do so much good in helping new and nervous customers.  If you want a financial case, spend a little bit on getting the information right so that people do not feel that using the train is a worrisome experience, and they will come back and spend far far more money that you've put into getting systems right .. and they'll come back onto existing train you're already running - none of these pesky campaigner requirements to be paid for like re-opening a station at Christian Malford.

Last Thursday, I was travelling from Swindon to Melksham ... arrived at Swindon over an hour ahead of my connecting train.   A lady with an airline suitcase, and another bag piled perilously on top of it, enquired of the Station Staff about the train for Trowbridge.   "This platform - third train" said the display.  Staff told her this platform and it would be 15:18.    She seemed unsure, unwilling to trust them.

It turns out that she had started from Derby ... 10:50 (schedule), with Change at Bath Spa - 13:23 to 13:35 train to Trowbridge., due 13:53.    What actually happened?

11:10 rather that 10:50 from Derby, and the train arrived in Bath Spa at 13:40 - after the Portsmouth Harbour train had left.    Advise from platform staff was to catch the next train instead - so she got on the next train and that took her to Swindon ... I suspect she knew it was "two stops" which is why she got off at Swindon; I'm not sure if she realised she had got back to the same place she was at earlier.

Back at Swindon, the orange and green jacket staff were having some difficulty in convincing her to catch a train form the same platform (3) that she had just arrived at - I think she felt she should be .... well, I don't know what she felt, she was confused and untrusting.    Well - fools rush in, and I know the platform staff, and the conversation was not quiet or in private ... "I'm going on the train that goes to Trowbridge - I'll make sure you get on it.  I get off one stop before you".  With some relief, she believed me.   Turned out that "third train" advise was wrong, because a couple of train were out of sequence, but, yes, she and I joined the train.

And the of course the automated announcements were one out ... "next station is Melksham" as we approached Chippenham ...  I took care to find her just before I got off at the (real) Melksham ... "I'm getting off here - your station is next".  I didn't hear what the train's system said but - thank goodness - she didn't get off at Melksham based on a "next station is Trowbridge" automated lie.

Passenger as scheduled should have been in Trowbridge at 13:53.  When the Cross Country service was delayed, she should have changed at Swindon instead and used the TransWilts to get to Trowbridge at 14:04.  She actually for there (and I really hope she got off) at 15:54.  There is someone who's now dreading her next train trip, and wondering what alternatives there are. All to do with failures of information provision - 3 providing wrong information, and one of failing to provide information when it was needed.  All on a simple journey that should have involved a single intermediate change of trains!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 11:56:00 »

Back at Swindon, the orange and green jacket staff were having some difficulty in convincing her to catch a train from the same platform (3) that she had just arrived at - I think she felt she should be .... well, I don't know what she felt, she was confused and untrusting.   

I very much suspect the mindset was "I've come the wrong way. I need to go back. To go back I need to go to another platform because trains going in that direction won't go from this platform."

Some years ago my sister in law was over from South Africa and took a train from Bradford to Gillingham (Dorset) to go to see her brother. I explained to her that the train from Salisbury to Gillingham would leave Salisbury apparently going back in the direction she'd come in from, and that this was perfectly normal. She appreciated the advice!

The vast majority of passengers, understandably, know little of railway geography and probably care less. I was going from Paddington to Chippenham some years ago on a Swansea train diverted via the Berks & Hants (reversing st Swindon for onward travel). There was a woman on that train who simply couldn't get her head around the fact that this train stopped at Chippenham before Swindon, and was moaning to someone on the phone that it must go through Swindon first before going back which was "ridiculous." Yes it would have been - if that's what actually happened...

Finally, on faulty railway geography, when I was ASM (Assistant Station Master)'s clerk at Temple Meads back in the 70s, an irate passenger once stormed up to the counter. "Your bloody train didn't stop at Bristol Parkway, and what are you going to do about getting me there?! It stopped at Swindon, it stopped at Chippenham, it stopped at Bath, then went straight through Bristol Pakway without stopping!" Wink
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 15:32:27 »

The comments about train announcements being out of sync with stations, worries me on North Downs services from Gatwick. If you have just arrived in the country you probably assume the announcements are correct.

A more general problem with announcements is audibility. Surely somebody can develop an affordable system that it responsive to ambient noise levels, noted when it is quiet almost to the point of inaudability, but the other extreme when you are almost felled by the volume (a specialty of the Tube, amongst others).
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 16:37:19 »

I suspect she knew it was "two stops" which is why she got off at Swindon; I'm not sure if she realised she had got back to the same place she was at earlier.

And this of course raises a point pertinent to the original point of this thread.

She would have been on an HST (High Speed Train) or an 800. Announcements would have been made; if an 800 there is a visual display at the end of each coach as well. Was none of this working or did she choose to ignore it? (Rhetorical question, of course Smiley )
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 17:25:28 »

I suspect she knew it was "two stops" which is why she got off at Swindon; I'm not sure if she realised she had got back to the same place she was at earlier.

And this of course raises a point pertinent to the original point of this thread.

She would have been on an HST (High Speed Train) or an 800. Announcements would have been made; if an 800 there is a visual display at the end of each coach as well. Was none of this working or did she choose to ignore it? (Rhetorical question, of course Smiley )

Good question ... I only SUSPECT she came back on the London train - that's the one bit of the jigsaw I'm unsure of; she may have been on a Cross Country service that wouldn't have stopped at Chippenham.

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 22:10:42 »

In response to Grahame-

Audabilty often seems to have been a problem om 15x units ... not sure about 16x yet.

Sadly, as a Turbo veteran they are no better! The quality varies enormously. At one extreme, today's Guildford - Reading run was exemplary, clear audible automated announcements, backed up by clear relevant manual ones form the train staff. However at the other extreme sometimes there's an indistinct mumble somewhere in the background, and we all look at one another wondering if it was meant for us, and if so, what did they say?

I wonder if it's not only maintaining equipment and testing it, but also staff training? From my experience not using a microphone correctly can have a material impact - simply not having it at the right distance and direction. Do staff get training with feedback or testing?

The comments about train announcements being out of sync with stations, worries me on North Downs services from Gatwick. If you have just arrived in the country you probably assume the announcements are correct.

A more general problem with announcements is audibility. Surely somebody can develop an affordable system that it responsive to ambient noise levels, noted when it is quiet almost to the point of inaudability, but the other extreme when you are almost felled by the volume (a specialty of the Tube, amongst others).

Absolutely! I've been on FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) trains with stations in reverse order, from the wrong line, or out by one or more stations either way on the  walking writing/automated announcement system.

Although my experience of the Electrostars did not get off to a good start (it insisted the next station was Tilehurst throughout my journey from Reading to Goring), so far they seem far better and more reliable. The "worst" experience was last Friday when a late-running stopping train that had been shown as not calling at any station between Reading and Didcot on the Reading Station signs arrived with its external "walking writing" still showed it calling at all stations. It was up-dated as they turfed off the unfortunate passengers for the intermediate stations, though. Do they have a better system that can be retro-fitted to other stock?

Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 23:23:31 »

Volume and clarity vary massively between types of train, and even trains of the same type.  Newer trains often generally have better speakers and PA systems, and generally you stand a better chance of hearing when it's an electric train which has air-conditioning for obvious reasons.

GWR (Great Western Railway)’s DOTE ( Defective on Train Equipment) states that the train can not enter service from a maintenance depot with a defective or isolated PA.  It can enter service if it has been outstabled and it can remain in service if the PA becomes defective during the day.  The Train Manager or Guard should patrol the defective coach and make announcements as necessary.  If the train is DOO then it’s out of service unless the passengers can all be moved to a non defective coach or a work around using the GSMR is successful.

The PA will not be checked on overnight checks or on minor exams, so unless the defect is reported by train crew to Control or by passengers to train crew, who then report the fault to Control, it wouldn’t get picked up.

On major exams, the PA would be tested in every vehicle and from every handset point, something that generates a tone is played down the handset and the maintenance staff would walk through the set or unit checking the volume and clarity.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 10:47:36 »

Good question ... I only SUSPECT she came back on the London train - that's the one bit of the jigsaw I'm unsure of; she may have been on a Cross Country service that wouldn't have stopped at Chippenham.

If you could let us know which day it was we can soon find out what options were available at that time of day.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 10:53:41 »

If you could let us know which day it was we can soon find out what options were available at that time of day.

I'm ahead of you Robin ... Thursday of last week, and it depnds on how quickly she got under the subway at Bath Spa as to whether she was on opposite platform in time for the London train or not.  I don't think knowing which is really material to the fact that the data she got there put her on a service that wend straight ahead at Bathampton rather than turning right.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: