Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:46:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Isn't that awful........  (Read 8999 times)
Clan Line

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2018, 15:49:34 »

Monday morning I was on Warminster station collecting some tickets when a 166 rolled in after reversing just past the station. The centre coach was liberally daubed with spray paint graffiti. Normally, I would have said to myself "isn't that awful" along with a feeling of anger/disgust/despair towards those responsible.

None of those passed through my mind - my first and only thought was "that train just about sums up the quality of the GWR (Great Western Railway) rail service along this route nowadays"............... There must be many others who use this route who must think that every day !  Isn't that an awful frame of mind to be driven into ?

eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 17:41:02 »

The Channel 5 program 'Paddington' showed the cleaning of carriages to remove graffiti.  I wonder why yours appeared in public.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 18:57:53 »

The Channel 5 program 'Paddington' showed the cleaning of carriages to remove graffiti.  I wonder why yours appeared in public.

............on their performance elsewhere I am tempted to say:  "because they don't care !"
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 19:26:38 »

............on their performance elsewhere I am tempted to say:  "because they don't care !"

Or - perhaps - because the didn't discover the problem in time to clean up the train and had to take a decision between running it in that condition or not at all.  It may not just be the physical time to clean - there's also the need to have the people and materials available.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 20:39:25 »

Anything with offensive graffiti won’t go into traffic, but if, for example, it’s painted overnight in Westbury yard with just a load of nonsense then, as a passenger, I would be mightily peeved if my train got cancelled as a result of it needing to be treated first thing.

There is unlikely to be any time during the day to remove it, without cancelling trains again, so it usually waits for the next night.  Very rare to see anything in passenger use going around for more than a day without being treated.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 20:40:37 »

Where and when does the graffiti get applied?  I'd guess it's most likely to happen when trains are stabled at night.  Which then begs the question - don't they use CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) to catch the culprits if they know where it's going to happen?  Isn't that going to be a lot cheaper than the £4 million I think they quoted in the Paddington programme?

The graffiti problem seems to be getting worse and worse on the railways, especially around Bristol.  The number of hours some 'artists' must have spent within just feet of operational railway lines must be considerable.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 08:55:28 »

I think people may be missing the point I was making - I was not complaining about the graffiti as such, it's a fact of modern times. I certainly was not suggesting that the train should have been taken out of service.
 If anything, I was "complaining" about my own response to the graffiti. The "new" trains we have had foisted on us are well past their sell by date, the seating is far below the standard of the "old" trains. Earlier mentions of refurbs & 4 abreast seating have vanished. When the train in question arrived I was nowhere as upset/shocked by its appearance as I should have been because I have now been conditioned to expect a shabby, grubby vehicle (when I see the front of a 165/166 appearing) which we appear to be going to be stuck with for many years to come. The graffiti just seemed to "go" with the rest of the train and the service it was giving ...........
A Rolls Royce covered in graffiti is still a Rolls - an old banger covered in graffiti comes across as an even older old banger covered in graffiti..........no one gives it a second look of disapproval because it is what they have come to expect.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 09:12:31 »

I think Clan Line's point is well made. Our expectation now is for second-rate rolling stock on this line, and if anything better arrives, it is far more notable.

I'm not that concerned about graffiti myself, though there are obviously limits to what is acceptable. If people find the notion of graffiti a problem, have they traveled in France, where you can often see huge numbers of carriages lined up on lines completely covered in graffiti.

I get far more upset if a train hasn't been cleaned outside, so that you make your journey straining to look out of filthy windows. That has happened quite a few times to me this year, and I can't understand how some trains can be left to get quite so bad (they haven't been at times when the weather would cause them to be that dirty, so must just be long-term build-up of dirt on their outside).
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 10:03:13 »

Didn't one of the guys cleaning it make a comment about the paint being on there for a number of days?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: