Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:33:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Yate Tytherington Freight Branch  (Read 7435 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2018, 09:14:33 »

From south Glos council Street Care Department

From Monday 26 November, the Tytherington to Yate freight line will reopen

Please be aware that from this date, the line is expected to have one train per day carrying materials from Tytherington Quarry to Avonmouth.

This line has three level crossings so take extra care when driving in this area.

Network Rail has written to local residents: "This freight line has three level crossings, including two fitted with audible alarms, it is vital that people living nearby are aware of the change of activity to the track.

"From Monday 26 November 2018 the line will once again be live. For your safety, please be aware that the crossings are not manned and no barriers placed at the level crossings. The track is now classed as operational."
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 09:59:32 »

From south Glos council Street Care Department

From Monday 26 November, the Tytherington to Yate freight line will reopen

Please be aware that from this date, the line is expected to have one train per day carrying materials from Tytherington Quarry to Avonmouth.

This line has three level crossings so take extra care when driving in this area.

Network Rail has written to local residents: "This freight line has three level crossings, including two fitted with audible alarms, it is vital that people living nearby are aware of the change of activity to the track.

"From Monday 26 November 2018 the line will once again be live. For your safety, please be aware that the crossings are not manned and no barriers placed at the level crossings. The track is now classed as operational."

Excellent news.  Not holding my breath for a proposed re-opening to Thornbury passengers any time soon, but as we all know a track that was previously mothballed with a chance of being permanently closed now coming back into use is much easier to reinstate

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 10:02:50 »

.... For your safety, please be aware that the crossings are not manned and no barriers placed at the level crossings. The track is now classed as operational."

Funny, unless the two level crossings with barriers which are train crew operated, if only a DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) movement, have 'rusted up' in the many months they haven't seen use, the crossings on both the Iron Acton by-pass and the Latteridge Road have the usual steady amber followed by the flashings reds whilst an audible warning is sounded with finally the barriers lowering. The line is track circuited so that the barriers raise after the consist has cleared each of these two crossings. The third crossing is on a very minor track from Iron Acton to Mayshill has the road sign pictogram of a chuffer as its an open crossing with the amber, red lights for road traffic and a flashing white light for the rail traffic, the sequence of which is activated by the approaching rail movement from either direction through a treadle approaching the crossing. Have to look up RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) to see when this movement is scheduled to take place and have to go and have a nose.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 10:09:54 »

Yeah I thought I remembered lights and barriers on the main ones when I used to go that way to work years ago

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 11:11:46 »

Are you sure?  All my records show the level crossings as AOCL (Automatic Open Crossing (Locally monitored) A level crossing without barriers that is observed by the train crew before they proceed over the crossing) (i.e. without barriers).  All the images on the internet show that as well.  Somebody needs to go up there with a camera..... Wink
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 11:28:56 »

Pretty sure both the B4058 and 4059 have barriers, and Streetview confirms this. In one case the photo is from 2009 so that could have changed but I'm sure I've seen barriers there. Station Rd in Iron Acton doesn't have barriers and of course there are numerous footpath crossings.
https://goo.gl/maps/WkD4YMJzv4s
https://goo.gl/maps/WS1y6pMgtAH2
https://goo.gl/maps/ci3RRV327JJ2

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 11:40:05 »

That's definitely how I remember both the main routes with full barriers

Seems unlikely in this day and age when NR» (Network Rail - home page) are constantly being pressed to either improve or do away with level crossings that they'd re-open some that had barriers before, with them now removed...  is basically asking for trouble if anything happens!

It's one thing writing to local residents about the line coming back into use, but the two main routes across the line are notorious rat runs for commuters from elsewhere trying to avoid the ring road and motorways to get to and from work (myself previously included and many other people I worked with) who definitely won't have heard anything about it

Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 11:53:19 »

Would be nice to have Turbo train running 7 times a day to Thornbury, The Train would probably start from Bristol temple meads and arrive at Thorbury with a return journey.
If made a passenger route some alterations would have to take place I assume. Signal no BL2034 would need a pos 1 ji. And the ground signal replaced for main use.

I like the pictures of the crossings.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 12:26:51 »

I cant believe that it is over a year since I travelled that road and haven't noticed the barriers had gone but checking out on the net it is evident that the two barriered crossings have been converted to open crossing and had to laugh at the 3rd one, CONTACT BR (British Rail(ways)) ...

http://i63.tinypic.com/ka2o7t.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/o07wiv.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/124vr6b.jpg
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 12:37:28 »

A quick phone call to an acquaintance tells me that todays test/route learning move has been cancelled but the facility is being re-incarnated to carry stone to Hinckley Point 'C' from quarries in the South Gloucestershire area. Still to Check RTT» (Real Time Trains - website).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 13:03:42 by martyjon » Logged
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 12:48:44 »

A quick phone call to an acquaintance tells me that todays test/route learning move has been cancelled but the facility is being re-incarnated to carry stone to Hinckley Point 'C' from quarries in the South Gloucestershire area. Sill to Check RTT» (Real Time Trains - website).

Yep, todays movement cancelled but there is on RTT movements, Westbury - Tytherington, return working Tytherington - Yate Middle - Tytherington, Tytherington - Westbury, for tomorrow 16 November 2018.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 13:34:43 »

A quick phone call to an acquaintance tells me that todays test/route learning move has been cancelled but the facility is being re-incarnated to carry stone to Hinckley Point 'C' from quarries in the South Gloucestershire area. Sill to Check RTT» (Real Time Trains - website).

Yep, todays movement cancelled but there is on RTT movements, Westbury - Tytherington, return working Tytherington - Yate Middle - Tytherington, Tytherington - Westbury, for tomorrow 16 November 2018.

I take it they'll be having to divert via Swindon to do Tytherington - Westbury with Filton Bank still closed?  That's gonna be a fair few reversals

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 14:58:58 »

I cant believe that it is over a year since I travelled that road and haven't noticed the barriers had gone but checking out on the net it is evident that the two barriered crossings have been converted to open crossing and had to laugh at the 3rd one, CONTACT BR (British Rail(ways)) ...

Thanks.  My records still up to date then..... Smiley
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 16:21:08 »

Thanks.  My records still up to date then..... Smiley

Yep, more up to date that my memory but as you could see the barriers were there albeit dumped on the roadside verge. The bypass crossing was a split barrier with the barrier facing the approaching traffic lowering first followed by the complementary barrier on the other half of the highway.

I am really surprised that NR» (Network Rail - home page) have converted the barriered crossings on this line to open crossings over the two busy roads considering their insistence that there should be no crossing at all over Quay Road at Portishead to allow the Portishead line, if it ever reopens, to reach further into the town itself.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 18:27:32 »

What about the other crossing, on the B4059 Latteridge road?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: