Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:14:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Closure of Old Oak Common (81A) December 2018  (Read 10469 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2018, 20:42:27 »

The 7th /  8th December will see GWR (Great Western Railway) closing Old Oak Common TMD (Traction Maintenance Depot).   This once mighty depot has seen a progressive closure and demolition over the recent years.

There is however the Elizabeth Line Train Care Facility and on the other side of the main line North Pole, so there is still maintenance and operations life left on the site;  however for many like myself that have worked at the Oak the final closure of the HST (High Speed Train) Shed and the withdrawal of main line maintenance as being as sad day.  I can remember working in the new HST Shed in 1976 as an apprentice a vastly different working environment to the Factory

Old Oak Common (81A) 17 March 1906 - 7 December 2018 you have the served the railway well

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 20:51:33 »

I still miss the iconic sight of the Old Oak Common signalbox as you passed the depot.

REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 22:07:25 »

Does this mean the 1733 Paignton and 1803 Penzance will finally be IET (Intercity Express Train). They seem very wary of using IET's on these two services.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 23:29:38 »

I can remember working in the new HST (High Speed Train) Shed in 1976 as an apprentice a vastly different working environment to the Factory

I can remember "bunking" it as a kid in 1963 when there were still Castles, Counties and Halls in the roundhouse...

Smiley
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 12:58:25 »

Does this mean the 1733 Paignton and 1803 Penzance will finally be IET (Intercity Express Train). They seem very wary of using IET's on these two services.

Not necessarily, as these two services end the day away from London, so could be candidates for HST (High Speed Train) running until they are all withdrawn next year
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 13:33:07 »

I still miss the iconic sight of the Old Oak Common signalbox as you passed the depot.

Seem to remember the Old Oak Panel Box closed in 1993 As Paddington was resignalled to the then Slough new box,until that went also.Hence the reason for
signals starting with SN1 SN3 SN5 And so on.
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 14:13:27 »

Not necessarily, as these two services end the day away from London, so could be candidates for HST (High Speed Train) running until they are all withdrawn next year

I don't where to look for the diagrams but I am sure the 17.33 Paignton comes out of Old Oak Common works passenger London-Paignton-Newton Abbot then empty to Laira
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 19:16:21 »

Tonight the 1733 (1C91) has 8 coaches. That means it must be a HST (High Speed Train).

The 1803 (1C92) came off Old Oak Common, so that too points to it being a HST. Although anyone fancying a Friday night dinner would have been disappointed. No Pullman service on it tonight.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 19:43:57 »

Seem to remember the Old Oak Panel Box closed in 1993 As Paddington was resignalled to the then Slough new box,until that went also.Hence the reason for
signals starting with SN1 SN3 SN5 And so on.

That was Old Oak Common Panel Signal Box, bobm may have been refereeing to Old Oak Common Yard Signal Box with is access bridge off of the Grand Union Canal towpath.

The OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) Panel Box was the first of its kind.

Its is highly unlikely HST (High Speed Train) will go into North Pole as that is Hitachie and not GWR (Great Western Railway); also its is not configured to service HSTs

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 20:33:50 »

Its is highly unlikely HST (High Speed Train) will go into North Pole as that is Hitachie and not GWR (Great Western Railway); also its is not configured to service HSTs

Out to Reading, I believe.   Have I heard something about the noise issues they're causing there when ticking over, or was I imagining that?   Sounds like Reading has been set up to take HSTs only for a relatively short period - doesn't sound like that's an efficient way to spend money - perhaps the result of having to deal with a slippage in one schedule or another.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 21:39:03 »

Out to Reading, I believe.

HSTs (High Speed Train) as well? Reading's "shed" will have Electrostars, Turbos, the Night Riveria stock, and an old fashioned shunter as well. The town's depot  will not have seen such variety since the old shed hosted everything from 14xxs to Castles!
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 09:10:47 »

The odd HST (High Speed Train) has been parking up here at Reading TCD during the day, and it was used by quite a few HSTs a Christmas or two ago when Paddington was closed.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 17:01:13 »

The final HST (High Speed Train) ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) movement from Old Oak Common is this Saturday, 8th December 2018. Subject to the usual operational caveats of course.

5C24 1645 Old Oak Common - London Paddington 1705
1C24 1730 London Paddington - Weston-super-Mare 1950

End of an era.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 12:28:15 »

The final HST (High Speed Train) ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) movement from Old Oak Common is this Saturday, 8th December 2018. Subject to the usual operational caveats of course.

End of an era.

What is going to happen to the site, Is it to be new sidings.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 19:24:20 by Dispatch Box » Logged
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 17:31:37 »

End of an era.

From the OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) Facebook page:
Many thanks to our planners and Network Rail, there has been a platform alteration following our request for the last HST from 81A Old Oak Common Saturday 8th December 5C24 16+45 to now arrive 17+04 into Paddington Platform 1.
 That is the plan, but is all subject to change depending on what happens on the day
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: