Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:13:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs to Bedwyn initially delayed - now running from May 2019  (Read 37802 times)
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2019, 15:50:11 »

Interesting that all the intermediate stations are called halts except for Reading West. A service which terminates at a halt, that must be rare in railway operation, even if it was simply a railway term for a downgraded station rather than a designed halt.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2019, 16:01:43 »

Bedwyn turnback siding wasn't installed until resignalling in 1978.  Prior to that it had a single trailing crossover and Up Siding at the back of the Up Platform.  Terminating trains had to reverse through the crossover and shunt to the Up Siding and start from there, although strictly it wasn't a passenger line.........
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 16:29:08 by SandTEngineer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2019, 16:36:13 »

Interesting that all the intermediate stations are called halts except for Reading West. A service which terminates at a halt, that must be rare in railway operation, even if it was simply a railway term for a downgraded station rather than a designed halt.

I think there were a number in Wales - Coryton Halt (still open as a terminus), Moss Halt near Wrexham, ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2019, 16:45:50 »

Bedwyn turnback siding wasn't installed until resignalling in 1978.  Prior to that it had a single trailing crossover and Up Siding at the back of the Up Platform.  Terminating trains had to reverse through the crossover and shunt to the Up Siding and start from there, although strictly it wasn't a passenger line.........

I just had a look at the layout on the old maps website, a complicated and time consuming move.  So this siding was used as the starting platform? So was it a halt with three platforms?
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2019, 17:34:55 »

I think there were a number in Wales - Coryton Halt (still open as a terminus), Moss Halt near Wrexham, ...

And even before 1931, when passenger services on the former Cardiff Railway were curtailed at Coryton Halt, the terminus of that line was still a halt, viz Rhydyfelin Halt Low Level.

Disappointingly, the weird little branch off the Vale of Neath in Aberdare used the style "crossing" rather than "halt"; otherwise the Black Lion Crossing to Cwmaman Crossing service would have been a service with both termini at halts.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2019, 21:08:14 »

I just had a look at the layout on the old maps website, a complicated and time consuming move.  So this siding was used as the starting platform? So was it a halt with three platforms?

Yes.  I've got a 1970 photograph somewhere.  I'll try and dig it out and post it up here.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2019, 21:28:22 »

Another trip to the garage then... Grin
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2019, 22:39:43 »

Another trip to the garage then... Grin

Cheeky.  That's a cup of coffee you owe me next week.  They were actually in the spare bedroom..... Grin

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2019, 13:12:49 »

Here's the timetable from 51 years ago.

I'll see if I can find anything for intermediate years.

Summer 1989 has table 116 as "London and Reading -> Westbury and Birmingham" so would be a major scan to post it all here. Bedwyn served by a variety of terminating locals from Reading and from Newbury, with a single westward departure at 19:11. In the other direction, the only arrival from the west at 07:17.

Going back to 1983, hardly yesterday, but still fairly recently, it wasn't much better than Graham's example from 51 years ago.  London commuters had a choice of an 06:40 changing at Newbury to arrive at 08:20 and a slow direct train at 07:15 arriving 08:45.  Coming home was slightly better with a direct train at 18:25 arriving at 19:45.  Unless you were returning on a Friday, however,  in which case it took 15 minutes longer!

Off peak travellers to London had no direct trains at all during the whole week, just a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) service roughly every two hours all stations to Reading where they could change for a fast service, typically taking over 90 minutes.  There was one train serving Bedwyn on a Sunday, in the evening.  Now, compare that with December, with an IET (Intercity Express Train) direct every hour taking between 61 and 72 minutes. 

"It was much better under British Rail in the old days..."  Roll Eyes

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2019, 15:55:50 »

I still don't understand why the peak IC (Inter City) services to the far Southwest have to make calls at the 'Halts'.  One now even stops at Hungerford, and thats following another barely 20 minutes before..... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 17:40:40 by SandTEngineer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2019, 18:18:50 »

I still don't understand why the peak IC (Inter City) services to the far Southwest have to make calls at the 'Halts'.  One now even stops at Hungerford, and thats following another barely 20 minutes before..... Roll Eyes

Because the franchise (see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=21164) tells them too  Grin Grin

LONDON PADDINGTON – PLYMOUTH - PENZANCE

[snip]

Kintbury, Hungerford, Bedwyn Mondays to Fridays
(a) Two services departing London Paddington between 1600 and 1900 shall call at Hungerford and Bedwyn. One service departing London Paddington between 1600 and 1900 shall call at Kintbury.
(b) The service specified in paragraph 2.1(f) shall call at Hungerford.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2019, 18:36:00 »

Because the franchise (see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=21164) tells them too  Grin Grin

LONDON PADDINGTON – PLYMOUTH - PENZANCE

[snip]

Kintbury, Hungerford, Bedwyn Mondays to Fridays
(a) Two services departing London Paddington between 1600 and 1900 shall call at Hungerford and Bedwyn. One service departing London Paddington between 1600 and 1900 shall call at Kintbury.
(b) The service specified in paragraph 2.1(f) shall call at Hungerford.

I was referring to the 0451 Plymouth to Paddington which isn't in the list.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 18:44:30 by SandTEngineer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2019, 18:40:17 »

I was referring to the 0451 Plymouth to Paddington which isn't in your list.

2.1(f). Between 0430 and the Early Service, one service shall be provided to London Paddington.

3.4 (b) The service specified in paragraph 2.1(f) shall call at Hungerford.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2019, 18:47:38 »

I was referring to the 0451 Plymouth to Paddington which isn't in your list.

2.1(f). Between 0430 and the Early Service, one service shall be provided to London Paddington.

3.4 (b) The service specified in paragraph 2.1(f) shall call at Hungerford.

OK, I must have read it differently thinking it was the 0529 Plymouth to Paddington that should call.  A bit complex those overlapping SLCs (Service Level Commitment)......

I still don't understand why such a small station should have such a service when there are pleanty of alternatives.

I think I'll stick to posting on S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) matters.  I'll go and have a lie-down now Grin
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 19:19:57 by SandTEngineer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2019, 19:09:18 »

OK, I must have read it differently thinking it was the 0529 Plymouth to Paddington that should call.  A bit complex those overlapping SLCs (Service Level Commitment)......

I still don't understand why such a small station should have such a service when there are pleanty of alternatives.

I think I'll stick to posting on S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) matters.  I'll go and have a lie down now Grin

Sorry - my answer came across a bit too crisp.   I believe that the 05:29 is what is known as the "early service" - the start of trains running to a pattern - and the 04:51 is the extra train before the early service that's required to call at Hungerford.

But really my overall answer is poor - like telling the children "because I say so"; a cop-out.  In this case "because the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) say so".

So why do the DfT say so?

The 'early service' has to arrive into Paddington by 09:15, so that's too late for 9 to 5 working people, hence putting a stop in it - the 05:29 - would not fulfil an express commute from Hungerford, which having a stop in the 04:51 - the train that runs before the early service will.

At that horrid early hour from Plymouth (04:51) I don't think the DfT expects huge crowds so the 04:51 is likely to have capacity.

Hungerford is give a nice, juicy express train to London for commuters, many of whom may be senior civil servants (surely not!), and others will be keen voters in what at one point in the not too distant past was a parliamentary seat that swapped from Conservative to Liberal and back again.

So ... popular thing to do, makes for good commute, on a train that otherwise might be a bit quiet.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: