Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:27:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs to Bedwyn initially delayed - now running from May 2019  (Read 37790 times)
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2019, 12:55:39 »

As we are now in May (and that was the month that was suggested as the start date for IET (Intercity Express Train)'s on the Bedwyn's) is there any update?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2019, 13:13:30 »

As we are now in May (and that was the month that was suggested as the start date for IET (Intercity Express Train)'s on the Bedwyn's) is there any update?

From Steve Smith and Bill Wells at the Bedwyn Trains passenger group (at the end of last week):

We have just heard from GWR (Great Western Railway) that, following the corrections to the cameras for driver only operation, from the May timetable change they will start to operate the new IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) trains out of the siding at Bedwyn. This will replace the majority of the old Turbo trains – a few will be retained to form the half hourly connecting service.

Please note that from May 4th to May 6th (the May bank holiday weekend) Pewsey, Kintbury, Hungerford and Bedwyn will be served by a bus replacement service. This is to allow for a bridge replacement between Kintbury and Newbury. Please check online for times. Trains will run from Newbury to Reading but on a revised timetable. Pewsey will be served by a bus to Swindon.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2019, 13:00:08 »

Thanks Graham, good news.

I should've checked the Bedwyn Groups web-page, but having now done so it doesn't look like it's been updated for some time in any case.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2019, 08:09:22 »

Final days of Turbos on the Bedwyns?

They seemed to be buzzing back and forth through Reading all day on Wednesday ... makes you realise just what a good / significant service that is with (?) three trains in the cycle,

There have been some short formation IETs (Intercity Express Train) this week ... is that catching up on / getting ahead on maintenance for next week, when three further IET diagrams are needed for the South West (replacing the final HSTs (High Speed Train)) and another three for the Bedwyns?   Or do we expect some short forms and / or some 16x trains still running on the Bedwyns?    Could there be the odd HST standing in for failed IETs prior to 1st June?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2019, 08:49:50 »

Over on the RailUK forums the word is that there will be no turbos at all from next week on any of the 1Kxx services.
It will all be 5-car 800's aside from:

1K04/1K11 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-NBY» (Newbury - next trains)-PAD will be a 9-car 800 (currently a 4-car 387). This used to be a (very empty, mostly)
HST (High Speed Train) until the 387's started.
1K27 NBY-PAD which will remain as a 4-car 387 (it comes to NBY as a 2Kxx from RDG(resolve))

There will be a few Turbos I think still on RDG-NBY-BDW starting/terminating services (which are all 2Kxx)

Let's see what actually happens.

Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2019, 11:19:27 »

Let's see what actually happens.....

Sunday morning (new timetable day) and just watched 1K46 (down PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-NBY» (Newbury - next trains)) and 1K49 (up BDW-PAD) on the Newbury Railcam.

1K46 was a 3-car 16x and 1K49 a 5-car IET (Intercity Express Train).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2019, 03:43:55 »

A report from Bedwyn Trains - on board the 10:54 first public IET (Intercity Express Train) working to Paddington - on time and no problems. Noting that tomorrow (today now) will be more of a test. Low key yesterday, but a local 'event' planned for later this week, so it should get some of the positive press exposure it deserves.

Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2019, 09:46:09 »

Summary of my observations from the Newbury Railcam of this morning's operations.....

2K27 0753 NBY» (Newbury - next trains)-RDG(resolve) was a 5-car IET (Intercity Express Train)! (suspect Midgham and Aldermaston didn't expect that)
1K02 0707 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-BDW was a 5-car IET (noted that it arrived 3E at RDG, as you would expect given 125 vs.90 timings)
2K29 0755 BDW-RDG was a 3-car 16x
2K34 0811 RDG-NBY was a 4-car 387
2K36 0834 RDG-BDW was a 5-car IET
1K09 0841 BDW-PAD was a 5-car IET
1K04 0806 PAD-NBY was a 9-car IET (becomes 1K11 NBY-PAD). Last week this was a 4-car 387.

So all the 1Kxx's that I saw above were IET's, and a few others besides (including a Newbury-Reading stopper!)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:51:49 by Thatcham Crossing » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2019, 10:34:41 »

Sets 009, 032 and 034 are the three covering the daily diagrams today.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2019, 10:42:55 »

Sets 009, 032 and 034 are the three covering the daily diagrams today.

And interestingly (as far as I can see) no IET (Intercity Express Train) short forms reported. Good.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2019, 13:55:37 »

I watched a 5-car set run past the Newbury RAILCAM earlier today and it set me thinking.  Is that a good use of resources running to a place like Bedwyn.  I wonder how busy the services will actually be in the daytime?
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2019, 14:42:55 »

I watched a 5-car set run past the Newbury RAILCAM earlier today and it set me thinking.  Is that a good use of resources running to a place like Bedwyn.  I wonder how busy the services will actually be in the daytime?

You know my view on the subject - Time to get Western Pathfinder's tin hat out again!

It must be fate - Send them to Portsmouth-Cardiff instead!  Grin

[ducks...]

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2019, 16:46:53 »

And interestingly (as far as I can see) no IET (Intercity Express Train) short forms reported. Good.

There has been the odd 5-car vice 9/10 car, not listed on journeycheck, though nowhere near as many as a certain crystal ball was predicting and hoping for.  More of the Oxford<>Paddington services have gone over to IETs today as well, including the notorious 17:18 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-OXF» (Oxford - next trains) which has been on many a list of overcrowded trains over the years.  It is a 9-car and if it runs with first class at the front it might cause a few dwell problems at Maidenhead until platforms are extended.  Obviously it will need a guard to stop at places like Goring and Cholsey as well.

Probably not that busy, but that's no different to many other daytime trains of course.  I am confident custom will build up from places like Hungerford and Thatcham as the IET offers a better product than the Turbo it is replacing.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2019, 00:39:40 »

I understand that the last Bedwyn service of the day was capped at Reading, with additional station calls added into the final Cardiff train from Paddington which was diverted via the Berks and Hants ... reports of what could be the first train direct from Kintbury to South Wales ... unless members know better!

23:30 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 02:26
23:30 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 02:26 will call additionally at Newbury, Kintbury, Hungerford and Bedwyn.
This is due to the train making extra stops because a train was cancelled.

00:06 Bedwyn to London Paddington due 01:18
21/05/19 00:06 Bedwyn to London Paddington due 01:18 will be reinstated.
It will be started from Reading.
It will no longer call at Bedwyn and Newbury.
This is due to a shortage of on train staff.
Further Information
Road transport will operate from Bedwyn and Newbury to Reading but this will be later than the advertised time of the train that it is replacing.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 01:18:35 by grahame » Logged

Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2019, 08:58:30 »

I understand that the last Bedwyn service of the day was capped at Reading, with additional station calls added into the final Cardiff train from Paddington which was diverted via the Berks and Hants

23:30 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 02:26 will call additionally at Newbury, Kintbury, Hungerford and Bedwyn

I wonder what happened if you wanted to get to the intermediate stations to Newbury? - I suspect the answer was probably wait for the last Newbury stopper from Reading at 0020, which isn't ideal!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 09:06:13 by Thatcham Crossing » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: