I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:51:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs to Bedwyn initially delayed - now running from May 2019  (Read 37792 times)
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2019, 19:34:16 »

So are all the stoppers, out to Hungerford (and Bedwyn) in the new timetable IETs (Intercity Express Train)?

Which would explain why they are all marked as bicycles must be booked. This is a distinct pain if you are a leisure cyclist along the K&A Canal, I don't know about anybody else but I don't tend to ride to a timetable.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2019, 20:11:33 »

Neither do I. I try to go for cycle rides on routes that were stopper train only served (I.E not served by the HST (High Speed Train)'s) simply because I could just turn back at any point I felt like.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2019, 23:49:29 »

I understand that the last Bedwyn service of the day was capped at Reading, with additional station calls added into the final Cardiff train from Paddington which was diverted via the Berks and Hants

23:30 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 02:26 will call additionally at Newbury, Kintbury, Hungerford and Bedwyn

I wonder what happened if you wanted to get to the intermediate stations to Newbury? - I suspect the answer was probably wait for the last Newbury stopper from Reading at 0020, which isn't ideal!

Only about 10 mins after the Cardiff would be due to leave Reading though. Admittedly still bit of a longer delay, but on balance (taking into account delay would cause to the 2330 and for those going longer distance) it's probably the better decision.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2019, 08:28:57 »

Took my first ride on a BDW-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) run yesterday, on the 1K15 joining at THA (the 1103 from there)

All going nicely (and quickly!) until we got to RDG(resolve) and the doors couldn't be opened.

Sat for 15 mins while the TM(resolve) made apologetic announcements about having to check circuit breakers up and down the train, and then managed to get one door open right at the rear for us to vacate.

Service was terminated and I joined another PAD-bound IET (Intercity Express Train) on the adjacent platform.

Unit in question was 800 009, so hardly one of the more-recently delivered ones.

Hope this doesn't happen late at night when they are running DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard))!

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2019, 10:26:33 »

What platform did you arrive at Reading into, Thatcham Crossing?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2019, 12:36:17 »

Think it was 11.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2019, 13:01:10 »

Think it was 11.

To explain that slightly odd question... 

If it was Platform 11 then that would have been the first time the doors had been opened on that side of the train train since its despatch from Bedwyn station into the reversing siding on its previous journey.  One of the most common door 'faults' that has caught most drivers out at least once is when 'door control' has been passed to the TM(resolve) and they've forgotten to take it back themselves. 

On arrival at terminating stations like Bedwyn it is usual for the driver to open the doors, and the TM to wait until passengers have got off and close them again.  After which the TM then walks through the train to make absolutely sure everyone is off before reopening a local door to check all is clear before despatch to the sidings. 

In order for that local door to be opened the driver has to give 'door control' to the guard.  Basically by pressing a button in the cab.  After the guard has closed the door and keyed out, the driver than has to remember to take back door control (another press of a button) otherwise the next time an attempt to arm the doors on that side of the train is made they won't open - even if it is being driven from the other end of the train.  The 'door control' button is illuminated to advise the driver of this, but the illumination is very poor and virtually impossible to see in bright daylight conditions, so they might not realise that is the problem and assume it's more serious.

I might be wrong, but I would be a healthy amount that was the reason the doors wouldn't open! Especially given that the Reading drivers that are doing most of the Bedwyn trains have had little experience on them since training started due to the delay getting IETs (Intercity Express Train) onto the Bedwyn trains.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2019, 15:17:20 »

Thanks for the possible explanation. Yes it was the same side of the train that would have last been opened at Bedwyn at the end of the previous run.

It did seem to me that they were looking for a more complex problem than the need for the driver to press a button in the cab (hence comments around checking circuit-breakers etc).
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2019, 17:00:45 »

Today GWR (Great Western Railway) officially launched the Bedwyn IET (Intercity Express Train) service with a bit of help from the children of Great Bedwyn Primary School.

After welcoming the train in, the children - many of whom were making their first train journey - were treated to a trip to the turnback siding (along with a few interested adults).

The cows - which were much in evidence when the extended turnback siding was opened last September - still pay more than a passing interest to trains as they wait to return to the station.  But we've seen them, so here is St Mary's Church instead!

A very well behaved group of children who obviously enjoyed their morning out.   It seems, unwittingly, I helped them with their I-spy sheet.  They needed to spot "someone with a camera".

Must admit I enjoyed it too - and my shortest entry on my Railmiles log.  1Z15 - Bedwyn to Bedwyn - all of 44 chains!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2019, 21:07:34 »

It did seem to me that they were looking for a more complex problem than the need for the driver to press a button in the cab (hence comments around checking circuit-breakers etc).

That’s why I think it might have been the case, driver didn’t realise and then Hitachi assumed it was more serious and so driver sent on an ultimately futile hunt for a more serious fault. I’ve seen similar happen before...

jdw.wor
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2019, 11:54:59 »

Isn’t the shunt signal set up for the wrong direction or is that not an issue any more?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2019, 12:00:27 »

Isn’t the shunt signal set up for the wrong direction or is that not an issue any more?

Which signal are you referring to jdr.wor?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2019, 06:00:28 »

Story also covered in the Reading Chronicle

New intercity express trains are running on the London to Bedwyn line

A SPECIAL gathering was held to celebrate the launch of new intercity express trains, which will serve Reading and West Berkshire.

Richard Benyon was among the first to take a trip on the London to Bedwyn line, marking the arrival of five new trains.

The Newbury MP (Member of Parliament) was joined by members of West Berkshire Council, as well as representatives from Network Rail and Great Western Railway.

Lynne Doherty, leader of West Berkshire Council, said: “This is a great development for the whole of West Berkshire, as it will make journeys to London and beyond faster, greener and more reliable.

“I must pay tribute to my former colleague, Jeanette Clifford, whose hard work has got us to this point. She is a tireless champion for Newbury and for the railway, so I’m thrilled to see this has paid off.

“Railway connectivity is a huge part of our push to be a well-connected and vibrant district and we all look forward to benefitting from these improvements in the years to come. We are open for business.”

The London to Bedwyn line takes in Reading, Theale, Newbury, Kintbury and Hungerford.

Credit also to the Bedwyn Trains group who have worked and continue to work so tirelessly for their station, passengers, and this service.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
jdw.wor
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2019, 09:02:20 »

Sorry for the five day delay II. I was referring to the directional signal beneath the main signal. My memories are they were angled to indicate the direction the train was authorised for which is not the case here.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2019, 10:06:27 »

Sorry for the five day delay II. I was referring to the directional signal beneath the main signal. My memories are they were angled to indicate the direction the train was authorised for which is not the case here.

That was a very old 1950/1960s standard.  All signals are installed at 90° to the track they apply to unless a curve is involved, in which case they will be angled so that they are focussed approximately (but not always) to the signals AWS (Automatic Warning System) (Automatic Warning System) magnet which is generally positioned 183m on the approach to the signal.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: