Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:46:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Tracks Now? - the line from Chippenham to Trowbridge  (Read 6812 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 29, 2018, 14:55:58 »

Its now a case for Two Track Now for Melksham, I notice on opentraintimes that it only has a single line and platform, I suppose the problem is that there would be the cost of an extra platform and footbridge and a shelter.

Looking back five or more years ago, until fifty years ago, the single remaining line through Melksham was adequate for the number of trains that were running / were wanted to be run.  A sleepy backwater after April 1966 when the local service was withdrawn, a single line that took just under 20 minutes to traverse without intermediate signals was plenty enough, and indeed the occasional train could be held on the single line waiting for a slot on the London to Bristol main line at one end, and the main line that people forgot (Cardiff to Portsmouth) at the other.

A re-opened station at Melksham from 1985 provided for a commuter service to Swindon and back, and was well within the single line capacity, as were a handful of additional trains tried from time to time.  But the additional trains died back each time - I would suggest due to a lack of marketing (few people knew of them), a lack of frequency (if there was an oubound train when you wanted one, there probaby wasn't a return when you wanted it) and a lack of reliabiity (always the first to be cancelled; joke about trains being held together with sticky tape).

Fast forward to 2013.  On 7th December, there were 5 train movements along the line through Melksham. On 8th December there were 53.  What had happened?

A local campaign with Coffee Shop members Txxxxxx, Lxx, Rxxxxxxx amongst others in strong support, had lead to funding being found for a three year trial of a service which the team involved believed would be of sufficient of a level to cvercome the issue of a lack of return trains.  Also on that day, the main line from Westbury to Reading via Newbury was closed, and London to the West Country expresses were diverted alomh the single track. 

53 services is exceptional, but with 18 "TransWilts train" paths, and lots more freight services too, the line today is pretty busy.  In fact today ... there are 35 paths on real time trains. Some of them are alternatives, some run as required.  But it's a typical day and perhaps 30 trains will have passed or stopped at Melksham's platform today.   Critically for service reliabiity, not all ar on time.  A train that was due to pass ot 02:43 didn't make it until 05:21, an conversely there was a through train running 12 minutes early.  In time when services were few and far between, late running was rarely a problem to other trains, but these days a late train in one direction is likely to be reflected back in the form of a late train the other way ... and that second train waiting for the single line can't be sidetracked at either Chippenham or Trowbridge - so may have to wait on (and disrupt) the main line.

At present, it copes.  And it could cope with a handful of extra trips too.  A service from Swindon at about 07:50, returning from Westbury at 08:40.  A service from Swindon at about 16:30 returing from Westbury at around 17:20, and a service from Westbury at around 21:30 returning from Swindon at around 22:40 should fit and would fill major timetable gaps.  But take it up to hourly (which it really needs) and add in all the extra freight we're expecting once HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) track sections from Westbury start travelling up to site, with spoil / landifll trains headed in the opposite direction, and you have an issue - even if you can shoehorn more into the timetable, you have a reliabiity / robustness issue when something presents out of order - and nowhere for slower trains to be sidetracked along the way - once they have left Westbury, there is just plain line to Swindon and vice versa.

So - what to do?

Requsts / campaigns do double track are tempting.  But they don't solve the bypass problem of a faster passenger train needing to get past a slower freight, and they are relatively expensive - especially in terms of putting in a second platform, and footbridge with ramps or lifts at Melksham.  Passenger number at Melksham have now risen enough for us to be provided with just a "Polesworth Solution" - a single platform with trains calling only in one direction.  But never the less, an expensive solution to most but not all of the issues.

Suggestions have been made to add an intermediate signal on the single line to allow 2 trains to follow each other - a headway of perhaps 11 minutes rather than 18. And, yes, that could help somewhat - but perhaps only somewhat and we would only end up with another ceiling in a few years time. Timetabling would be interesting, with 'flights' of trains in each direction to make an use of the xtended capacity.

To me, the most attractive solutions are based on passing loop(s) away from the Melksham platform.  Preferably as long as possible so that they can dymanically allow trains to pass while underway - timetabled hourly locals to pass mid-loop.  And, please, bidirectioanlly signalled so that trains can overtake too. While you are re-doing the signalling, please don't limit it like it is at present - please allow trains to be reversed at Melksham in the future.

Passing loops that reduce again to single tracks near the juctions will also save significant issues at Thigley (were the cant on the through lines gives a problem with a traditional double jucntion) and near Staverton (where the bridge over the Avon is only single track width.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 15:18:32 »

Think you mean the 'Penryn Solution'.... Roll Eyes https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penryn_railway_station
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 15:25:15 by SandTEngineer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 15:31:23 »

Think you mean the 'Penryn Solution'.... Roll Eyes https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penryn_railway_station

It's very much in there as a sub-option ... one of the loops coming close enough in to Melksham to have a platform extension on the end of it.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 16:55:17 »

While you are re-doing the signalling, please don't limit it like it is at present - please allow trains to be reversed at Melksham in the future.
Trains can reverse at Melksham now.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 16:55:59 »

Fiendishly clever, these S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) Engineers...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 17:17:56 »

While you are re-doing the signalling, please don't limit it like it is at present - please allow trains to be reversed at Melksham in the future.

??   Not sure they can being in the middle of the single line section between the axle counters.  On 2nd / 3rd Jan, the 06:10 from Swindon terminates at Melksham in the public timetable, but then carries on to Bradford Junction to reverse ... restarts in public service from Melksham to Swindon at 07:20.   Don't think they would do that if they could just go the other way out of Melksham ...

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 17:45:14 »

Its nothing to do with the axle counters but to do with the way the signal interlocking operates.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 18:18:33 »

I feel a drawing coming on..... Grin
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 19:15:54 »

When I thought of it, I imagined a two track, both bidirectional lines with a set of points between the Swindon end of Melksham to allow terminators to go back the other way.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 19:57:41 »

When I thought of it, I imagined a two track, both bidirectional lines with a set of points between the Swindon end of Melksham to allow terminators to go back the other way.
Ah, the Ware solution.
Where?
Yes, there.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 07:14:19 »

If both tracks are bi-directional, would you need the crossover?

Turnback at Melksham of trains on the Swindon - Chippenham - Melksham - Trowbridge - Westbury line would be rare in any scenario.  Chippenham and Trowbridge are both major towns (to put it mildly) - much bigger than Melksham - and with major travel requirements between them.  So an ability rather than a big spend for frequent use all day seems about right.

"Left field" are requests for the junction between Bradford-on-Avon to Trowbridge to be re-instated as a triangle ( "Bradford North Curve". If re-instated it would give a diversion route for London to Bristol via Chippenham and Bath services if Box tunnel was not available.  It would also allow MetroWest trains from Bristol to carry on after Bath Spa to Bradford-on-Avon and Melksham. 

Also at the back of minds - and highly unlikely now that so much money has been spent on an underground feeder to Thingley (even though electrification will stop 4 km short of Chippenham for some years) is feeding the overhead at Melksham SubStation - meaning that electric trains could run London to Melksham - and (let's face it) Melksham is a much bigger destination for trains from Paddington than Bedwyn.  Made all the more unlikely by so many trains moving to bi-mode technology.

Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 12:18:52 »

If both tracks are bi-directional, would you need the crossover?

Turnback at Melksham of trains on the Swindon - Chippenham - Melksham - Trowbridge - Westbury line would be rare in any scenario.  Chippenham and Trowbridge are both major towns (to put it mildly) - much bigger than Melksham - and with major travel requirements between them.  So an ability rather than a big spend for frequent use all day seems about right.

"Left field" are requests for the junction between Bradford-on-Avon to Trowbridge to be re-instated as a triangle ( "Bradford North Curve". If re-instated it would give a diversion route for London to Bristol via Chippenham and Bath services if Box tunnel was not available.  It would also allow MetroWest trains from Bristol to carry on after Bath Spa to Bradford-on-Avon and Melksham. 

Also at the back of minds - and highly unlikely now that so much money has been spent on an underground feeder to Thingley (even though electrification will stop 4 km short of Chippenham for some years) is feeding the overhead at Melksham SubStation - meaning that electric trains could run London to Melksham - and (let's face it) Melksham is a much bigger destination for trains from Paddington than Bedwyn.  Made all the more unlikely by so many trains moving to bi-mode technology.

Perhaps we will leave out the points then, I assume the new platform would be constructed out of concrete sections like the extension on Stonehouse Station.
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 15:36:30 »

??   Not sure they can being in the middle of the single line section between the axle counters.  On 2nd / 3rd Jan, the 06:10 from Swindon terminates at Melksham in the public timetable, but then carries on to Bradford Junction to reverse ... restarts in public service from Melksham to Swindon at 07:20.   Don't think they would do that if they could just go the other way out of Melksham ...
Well, I can’t profess to know what can be pre-planned and loaded into the train planning system, but I know, from experience, that it can be done.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 15:56:55 »

Well, I can’t profess to know what can be pre-planned and loaded into the train planning system, but I know, from experience, that it can be done.
Yes, but it won't be signalled movement (but that might change when Thingley Junction is recontrolled from TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) in April 2019).
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 17:51:21 »

Yes, but it won't be signalled movement (but that might change when Thingley Junction is recontrolled from TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) in April 2019).
Thingley Junction’s been controlled by TVSC Swindon for some time now, or are they taking control of the single line from Westbury PSB (Power Signal Box) next April?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: