Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:05 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:37:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Turbos back to replace 180?  (Read 10626 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 09:49:16 »

Turbos may be fine from Charlbury to Oxford, it's not on from Malvern to Paddington. Other trains being even more uncomfortable shows how little focus FGW (First Great Western) has on the customer.

I'd disagree there. If FGW were to specify the use of an HST (High Speed Train) for the Cotswolds in short availability a service that might be far busier and more well used might be cancelled. Therefore its only sensible to subsitute for a turbo - at least it wasn't cancelled!
Andy W

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 11:24:42 »

Turbos may be fine from Charlbury to Oxford, it's not on from Malvern to Paddington. Other trains being even more uncomfortable shows how little focus FGW (First Great Western) has on the customer.

I'd disagree there. If FGW were to specify the use of an HST (High Speed Train) for the Cotswolds in short availability a service that might be far busier and more well used might be cancelled. Therefore its only sensible to subsitute for a turbo - at least it wasn't cancelled!

Hi Devon Metro,

The turbo isn't a substitution as swlines demonstrated it's a scheduled change.

If there is a problem with an HST on a busier route it is sensible on those occasions to cascade the change and the Cotswolds gets the smaller train. I agree under these circumstances something is better than nothing. This isn't the case here.

Finally they are returning 180s that would make that academic.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 14:32:34 »

Andy,

Much of this ground was covered a while back as the wind-down of Adelantes began.

Please note I said they were suitable for MOST Cotswold Line services - the loadings on the 08.37 in recent years made it a candidate for an HST (High Speed Train), but due to the light loads on its journey out to Worcester, the 05.42 is first choice to get its HST pinched to cover other services where HSTs are essential.

To flesh out the 'most', what I mean is the 05.50 from Moreton (Adelantes cope with the loading on this throughout to London), then HSTs for the rest of the peak into Oxford and London, but for anything leaving Worcester after 9am, an HST is overkill capacity-wise and an Adelante could accommodate those joining at Oxford as well. In the other direction, HSTs are pretty empty up until the 15.51 from London, but from the 19.21 onwards they are not needed.

In any case, HSTs are here to stay, so any discussion of splitting Adelantes at Oxford is academic - FGW (First Great Western) don't want to pay the leasing fees any more, which are sky-high by most accounts, for a train that, sadly, has never been noted for reliability.

Re the Chiltern Clubmans, yes, I do use them (and CrossCountry 170s) on occasion, and in my view they are not of the same quality as a passenger vehicle as an Adelante, nor even a 175, to make a fairer comparison. Nothing with doors at 1/3 and 2/3 positions along the coach ever will compare well with end doors. If Clubmans were to turn up on the Cotswold Line, I know what the reaction of people travelling from, er, Malvern would be - not good.

PS: The centre car on a 166 has an area of 2+2 standard class seating, with tables - I believe it was originally intended to be first class. And there are still many people in the rail industry who can't believe Chiltern scrapped first class, given they serve some of the wealthiest communities in the whole country.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 16:55:34 »

With Chiltern, the whole train is First Class. Grin
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 16:58:51 »

Quote from: Btline
So what do you suggest? You have just said that Adelantes are ideal for the Cotswold line, but then said that they can't cope south of Oxford. It has got to be one or the other, unless you run Adelantes/Thames Turbos every hour from Oxford to Worcester, and then half hourly HSTs (High Speed Train) from Oxford to Paddington.
Hi Btline,

HST at peak and Adelantes off peak (which is what I thought the plan was)

Alternatively, at peak times I'd run 10 coach Adelantes to Oxford & split at Oxford on the down. I'd run 5 coach Adelantes to Oxford coupling up to 10 coach on the up. Off peak run 5 coach Adelantes.

I also think, at peak times, they should consider treating Reading / Slough like Virgin treat Watford, ie pick up only on the down, set down only on the up.

For what it's worth, now to be really unpopular, I don't think they should take bikes. As an alternative they could offer bike hire at Oxford / Paddington.

You are probable right- HSTs are overkill off peak.

But- it is harder than you think to simply "switch" to HSTs during the peaks because of diagrams (e.g. An evening peak form Padd should be an HST. This means that the up afternoon off peak (empty) has to be an HST. But that means that the noon off peak down service has to be an HST.... and so on....

Can you see? It is either one or the other (or Thames Turbos Angry ).

And also- where do you keep the Adelantes/HSTs when they are not being used?
willc

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 01:38:24 »

With Chiltern, the whole train is First Class

This is a joke, right? I don't often travel first but I would expect something better than a Chiltern Clubman when I do pay the extra.

By first moving Adelantes on to the Cotswold Line, and now going, as far as is practical, all-HST (High Speed Train), FGW (First Great Western) recognised the deficiencies of Turbo-type trains - and I include 168s/170s etc in that definition - for longer journeys and did something about it, so let's give them some credit for that.

In contrast, Chiltern has stuck with the original BR (British Rail(ways)) Class 166 Turbo Express concept, of taking a basic suburban DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) shell (165) and upping the interior spec, even though on Birmingham to London runs a better train would make them a more attractive proposition compared with Pendolinos, which may be fast, but have precious little else going for them.

Getting back to the original notion here, if it really were the case that there were Turbos turning up all over the place on the Cotswold Line, I would be the first to complain to FGW, but they just aren't out there and haven't been since the end of the Christmas and New Year period, except on the handful of trains they are meant to be on. An Adelante turning up now and again until the extra HST arrives is far from a disaster.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 08:00:07 »

This is a joke, right? I don't often travel first but I would expect something better than a Chiltern Clubman when I do pay the extra.

By first moving Adelantes on to the Cotswold Line, and now going, as far as is practical, all-HST (High Speed Train), FGW (First Great Western) recognised the deficiencies of Turbo-type trains - and I include 168s/170s etc in that definition - for longer journeys and did something about it, so let's give them some credit for that.

It went to all HST after a bunch of whiney commuters somehow got the adelante "issue" into the house of commons a few years back. At which point, FGW agreed with them/the dft to revert back to shortened HSTS.

The change has been coming for a LONG time, stop trying to look suprised.
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 09:48:42 »

2-3 years ago FGW (First Great Western) promised to get rid of the majority of the turbos and provide 125mph capable rolling stock, this never happened as the Adelante were so unreliable and were used on many of the peak trains so were impossibly crowded (only 2 HSTs (High Speed Train) each way morning and evening then). After 18months of failing to keep this promise FGW promised to introduce refurbished HSTs, now over a year past the promised introduction the final HST has been refurbished but still we get train swaps. Another broken promise.

WillC....yes any train is better than one that fails to turn up....the 0837 WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) is particularly bad for this as it is the first train down the line in the morning and often gets terminated at oxford if there are any signal/train problems in the morning.

As for turbos off peak, then two weeks ago I took the 0937 WOS-PAD, turbo as scheduled but absolutely packed and I had to stand between Charlbury and Reading. Yes a lot of the time smaller trains can be used, but the demand is incredibly peaky and available rolling stock does not allow for this.

I have been commuting for over 6 years on this line and have seen many 'regulars' go back to the car purely for reliability and the ability to get a seat issues.

FGW really need to realise that after so many broken promises commuters on the cotswold line are fed up with being at the bottom of the rolling stock cascade when the inevitable train breakdown occurs.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 10:11:23 »

I started these silly commutes in 2004 - and at first I went standard - until I realised how prevalent turbos were and that they didnt have tables in standard.  I very quickly went first and am now spoilt.

However, if there were a clubman (where every seat has a table) or even a 175 or 158 (I have commuted ludlow - manchester in the past) I wouldnt bother with a first class ticket.  To me, its all about the tables.

I'd rather a clubman than a refurbed HST (High Speed Train) standard class.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
willc

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 19:23:46 »

It went to all HST (High Speed Train) after a bunch of whiney commuters somehow got the adelante "issue" into the house of commons a few years back. At which point, FGW (First Great Western) agreed with them/the dft to revert back to shortened HSTS.

The change has been coming for a LONG time, stop trying to look suprised.

Surprised? I just don't know where you're coming from with this. Who's surprised and about what?

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about these "whiney commuters". Are you going to tell us that FGW's passengers haven't had anything to whine about in recent years? If people want to involve their MPs (Member of Parliament), that's their right. And ditching Adelantes was FGW's decision, due to the high cost of running them and their unreliability, nothing to do with the DfT» (Department for Transport - about).

Ian, while the last refurbished HST power cars may recently have left Loughborough, others which were re-engined earlier are going back there for remedial work, or other attention, so the full fleet still isn't available. The first time I saw anything about FGW acquiring the extra HST it stated that it was specifically intended to provide a "hot spare" so there would be a bit of slack to allow for last-minute failures to be replaced with the minimum of fuss.

If the Adelantes had all left FGW by now as planned, then something beginning with T would be turning up on the 05.42/09.38 whenever there are problems and none of us wants to see that.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 20:04:31 by willc » Logged
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 22:14:43 »

In contrast, Chiltern has stuck with the original BR (British Rail(ways)) Class 166 Turbo Express concept, of taking a basic suburban DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) shell (165) and upping the interior spec, even though on Birmingham to London runs a better train would make them a more attractive proposition compared with Pendolinos, which may be fast, but have precious little else going for them.

Getting back to the original notion here, if it really were the case that there were Turbos turning up all over the place on the Cotswold Line, I would be the first to complain to FGW, but they just aren't out there and haven't been since the end of the Christmas and New Year period, except on the handful of trains they are meant to be on. An Adelante turning up now and again until the extra HST arrives is far from a disaster.

In some ways it is..... although a Chiltern guard did once say this!!!! Tongue

But- hey. Clubmans are perfectly good. They are not Turbos or Networker Express Turbos, they are Turbosars. Ie- a lot better. They are very comfortable, have a reasonable speed, and have plenty of seats. Grin

First class on a Thames Turbo is the same as second class on a Clubman- remember that! Wink

FGW really need to realise that after so many broken promises commuters on the cotswold line are fed up with being at the bottom of the rolling stock cascade when the inevitable train breakdown occurs.

Absolutely. Hopfully the HST from EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) will help, although I suspect it will be sent to Bristol in the end.....  Angry
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: