I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:09:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: January Rail Fare Increase 3.1%  (Read 1766 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2018, 08:35:53 »

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/rail-train-fares-passengers-increase-31-regulated-anytime-off-peak-great-western-railway-a8660221.html

At the end of the worst year for rail disruption in a decade, commuters in England and Wales will start the New Year paying 3.1 per cent more for train tickets – without any certainty that services will improve. Train fares will rise from 2 January 2019 fractionally less than the July 2018 calculation of the Retail Price Index (RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))), which was 3.2 per cent. This largely discredited measure of inflation is used to specify the increase in “regulated” rail fares. These are season tickets in the London area, Anytime tickets around major cities and many Off-Peak return tickets on long-distance journeys.
Continues...
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 09:17:56 »

Well I won't see any rise as I don't have a London season ticket and I don't live in a major city or is that just a poor piece of journalism.

More seriously I heard the RDG(resolve) man on the radio this morning trying to explain/defend the rise, shame the the organ grinder was sent and not the monkey.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 09:20:16 »

More seriously I heard the RDG(resolve) man on the radio this morning trying to explain/defend the rise, shame the the organ grinder was sent and not the monkey.
And say the same thing every year.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 09:22:52 »

....and now (from the Daily Mail)....

First, strikes... now rail fare rises: Transport Secretary Chris Grayling blames union pay demands as train companies reveal New Year increases

Train fares are set to be increased today, with Transport Secretary Chris Grayling (seen today) blaming the union demands for inflation-busting pay rises for rail staff

Train fares are set to be increased today, with Transport Secretary Chris Grayling (seen today) blaming the union demands for inflation-busting pay rises for rail staff

Train fares are set to be increased today, with Transport Secretary Chris Grayling blaming the union demands for inflation-busting pay rises for rail staff.

The rail industry will announce how much ‘unregulated’ fares, such as advance and first-class tickets, will go up by in January.

The new prices, to be introduced on websites including National Rail Enquiries from 7am, will provoke anger among commuters, who have endured years of fare rises, strikes and deteriorating service.

The Rail Delivery Group, which represents train companies and Network Rail, will also reveal how much the average train fare will go up by.

This includes both unregulated fares, which are set by train operators, and regulated fares such as season tickets for commuters which are set by the Government in line with July’s Retail Prices Index measure of inflation.

Passengers have already been told that the cost of regulated fares will rise by up to 3.2 per cent in January, adding hundreds of pounds to the cost of many season tickets. The overall average price hike is market sensitive and was not disclosed last night.

The prospect of more increases has reopened a row between the Government and union bosses, who continue to demand steep pay rises for their members.

The Rail, Maritime and Transport Union, which has orchestrated crippling strikes across the country, is refusing to ditch the higher measure of RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) of inflation as a starting point for pay negotiations, despite the fact it has been widely discredited.

In August, Mr Grayling urged unions to switch to the official CPI measure of inflation, but union bosses have refused to negotiate and instead threatened to stage more protests if pay curbs are imposed.

Huw Merriman, a Tory MP (Member of Parliament) and member of the Commons transport committee, said last night: ‘It cannot be right that the rail unions receive a higher wage based on RPI when most passengers, who fund these pay deals, only get pay rises using the lower CPI.

‘If the unions are really serious about limiting fare rises, they should accept the same method for setting pay which their passengers are limited to, rather than threatening more strike misery.’  An insult to train passengers: On the day Network Rail is savaged for worst punctuality in 15 years, ex-boss gets a CBE (and insists on no publicity)

...and just to add to it all....

Network Rail boss used to earn £820,000 a year as boss of infrastructure firm
There were fury among passengers when he was awarded a CBE this year

He picked up the award at the Palace today but asked that he not be pictured 

The former boss of Network Rail was honoured at Buckingham Palace yesterday – on the day the firm was rebuked for failing to deliver a ‘punctual and reliable’ service.

Mark Carne received a CBE from Prince William only two hours after the industry regulator savaged Network Rail for ‘systemic’ failings and issued an order for it to improve ‘urgently’.

Mr Carne, who took early retirement from his £820,000-a-year job in July, collected his honour under a self-imposed media blackout – refusing to allow pictures of his big moment to be made public.

Labour MP John Mann said: ‘It’s no wonder Mr Carne is so embarrassed about receiving this award.

‘Commuters will be shaking their heads, as will staff in the rail industry. They are fed up of the chaos and bad management.

‘Passengers will have been expecting this award to have been cancelled like so many of their trains
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 09:25:43 »

And say the same thing every year.

So where is the interim outcome report from the RDG consultation that was (I seem to recall) promised on quite a short time scale.   Or is in yet another of those promises that turns to a target and then an aspiration which isn't achieved but would have been nice (and kept the natives quiet for another season!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 09:31:38 »

I predict there will be a sweetener from the Government. Possibly as a 'good news' story to deflect from the ongoing Brexit omnishambles.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 10:55:22 »

I predict there will be a sweetener from the Government. Possibly as a 'good news' story to deflect from the ongoing Brexit omnishambles.

Maybe - but tickets already on sale at new prices for 2019 on the GWR (Great Western Railway) site. examples at http://gwr.passenger.chat/20771
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:01:51 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 11:27:07 »

I'm actually off to renew mine tomorrow (assuming the ticket office is open and its not the particular customer service person who does all they can to persuade you to come back later).

Hopefully the 10% discount means its only slightly above £4K but I'm still not really noticing the improvements referred to each year.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 15:24:52 »

Does anyone know if you might get ‘double discounts’ on season tickets next year?  If GWR (Great Western Railway) implement Delay Repay after you’ve renewed with a 10% discount do you have to wait until you renew next time to claim under Delay Repay?

If not it could be a good year to hold seasons!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 16:49:45 »

House of Commons briefing paper Number SN06384, 30 November 2018 on rail fares

Had trouble with original link so mirrored [[here]]

Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 14:36:35 »

Ticket office closed so couldn't renew despite it being 3 hours before the published closing time. This now means a very public argument at 6.30am on Monday when the initial response will be to ask me to come back later.

On a wider point I still find it amazing how poor GWR (Great Western Railway)'s season ticket process is for something that must be a large part of their income in some areas at least. I can only renew at my 'home' station or lose my discount and last year much of the process involved writing down in ring-binders.

I know much of our ire is on the track infrastructure and trains but the back office stuff which I assume is fully under GWR's control could do with some improvement as well. I'm guessing that with a regular income stream and guaranteed annual rises they're not feeling much incentive?
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 18:19:19 »

Would this be the rumoured off-loading of the chair of Cross Rail and HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: