I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:49:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Tonight at Reading (01-12-2018) - Useless Staff  (Read 13793 times)
CJB666

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2018, 00:19:34 »

Clearly displayed 17.03 local advertised on 15A for Ealing Broadway (aka Paddington). Hundreds waiting for it.

A train turned up - however the display then changed and said that it was the 17.05 to Redhill - many got on thinking it was for London. No staff corrected the info. This left full at 17.08.

No sign of the 17.03 though which had disappeared from the displays.

Then staff said that this was now approaching 15A - it wasn't.

Staff then said that it was waiting on 13A. Hundreds traipsed over to 13. The staff there said that this was actually the 17.38 to Ealing Broadway.

We all traipsed back to 15A. Still no train there.

The staff there then said that the 17.03 was now on 12. Over the bridge we all went yet again. No train was there.

Then just like magic the 17.03 turned up on 12 but 15 minutes late. The display still said that it was due on 15A.

But what's the point of having staff who haven't a clue which platforms trains are departing from? Pathetic.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 16:22:40 »

Yet another example of GWR (Great Western Railway)’s appalling Customer Information systems, many other examples of which have popped up under other topics.   It’s all down to GWR’s senior management who, despite knowing the consequences, do not provide the resources to ensure that the screens provide accurate and timely information.   

Don’t blame the platform staff, they don’t get information any more than the passengers do.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 19:53:37 »

Clearly displayed 17.03 local advertised on 15A for Ealing Broadway (aka Paddington). Hundreds waiting for it.

A train turned up - however the display then changed and said that it was the 17.05 to Redhill - many got on thinking it was for London. No staff corrected the info. This left full at 17.08.

No sign of the 17.03 though which had disappeared from the displays.

Then staff said that this was now approaching 15A - it wasn't.

Staff then said that it was waiting on 13A. Hundreds traipsed over to 13. The staff there said that this was actually the 17.38 to Ealing Broadway.

We all traipsed back to 15A. Still no train there.

The staff there then said that the 17.03 was now on 12. Over the bridge we all went yet again. No train was there.

Then just like magic the 17.03 turned up on 12 but 15 minutes late. The display still said that it was due on 15A.

But what's the point of having staff who haven't a clue which platforms trains are departing from? Pathetic.

Sounds a bit like musical platforms.

And what were route control at Swindon telling them, they are the ones in the know.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 20:21:47 »

To an extent although the final decision is down to the signaller at Didcot who sets the route.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 20:24:14 »

To an extent although the final decision is down to the signaller at Didcot who sets the route.

I Always thought the TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) Contacted Swindon to tell them what they are doing.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 20:57:07 »

Everyday, a plan is produced which details which platform every train will use for that 24 hour period.  As far as possible they stick to that plan.  All this information is loaded into CIS (Customer Information System) screens.

When disruption occurs the signallers will try to get trains through the station as quickly as possible.  They can have a train sat at a signal outside the station and the first station staff will know of a platform change is when the signaller sets the route.  It’s not physically possible to give advance information to station staff, doing so would just cause bigger delays.

Station staff have access to signalling maps of the station and it’s approaches.  These show individual train headcodes.  Sometimes you can sit and watch the signaller changes these headcodes when they are provided the information from Swindon, basically they’re juggling trains. 

Whilst it may seem appalling, what they are actually doing is getting trains moving, and as quickly as possible.  As a result, some decisions will be last minute.  It’s pretty much the same any most major locations.  Where I work now, if there’s disruption you look at the signalling maps to know what platform to go to.  As soon as the headcodes moves to occupy a platform the information screens update automatically.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 21:47:41 »

Everyday, a plan is produced which details which platform every train will use for that 24 hour period.  As far as possible they stick to that plan.  All this information is loaded into CIS (Customer Information System) screens.

When disruption occurs the signallers will try to get trains through the station as quickly as possible.  They can have a train sat at a signal outside the station and the first station staff will know of a platform change is when the signaller sets the route.  It’s not physically possible to give advance information to station staff, doing so would just cause bigger delays.

Station staff have access to signalling maps of the station and it’s approaches.  These show individual train headcodes.  Sometimes you can sit and watch the signaller changes these headcodes when they are provided the information from Swindon, basically they’re juggling trains. 

Whilst it may seem appalling, what they are actually doing is getting trains moving, and as quickly as possible.  As a result, some decisions will be last minute.  It’s pretty much the same any most major locations.  Where I work now, if there’s disruption you look at the signalling maps to know what platform to go to.  As soon as the headcodes moves to occupy a platform the information screens update automatically.

Sorry but does,nt seem to work like that in Gloucester though, When a platform change is made, the platform staff seem to always do the moving, they just contact signalman to ask permission, then they contact cis and they manually change the screens. If the signaller puts a train into platform 4, that was booked on 2, and goes into 4 the screen won,t change, the staff have to phone cis and ask for an update manually.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 06:08:26 »

Sorry but does,nt seem to work like that in Gloucester though, When a platform change is made, the platform staff seem to always do the moving, they just contact signalman to ask permission, then they contact cis and they manually change the screens. If the signaller puts a train into platform 4, that was booked on 2, and goes into 4 the screen won,t change, the staff have to phone cis and ask for an update manually.

Gloucester doesn’t have the same level of traffic as somewhere like Reading though. Gloucester will probably be controlled by one signaller and has a bit of flexibility when it comes to platforming services, Reading will also be controlled by one or two signallers. Replatforming something at Reading will, more than likely, have a knock on effect tonothwe services.
There’s only so much a signaller can do before they become overloaded 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 08:57:49 »

Due to unscheduled operational 'incidents' - ranging from train faults and staff out of hours through to platform delays due to slow-load passengers - there will always be times when late platform changes happen, as a better option than holding up services as they wait for the originally planned platform.  I suspect we would all prefer the platform switch to serious delays.

The issue comes in informing the passengers - especially where there's a last-miunute decision.  I was at Swindon last Saturday evening for just over an hour, and there were sufficient main line delays to make the whole thing of which train was at which platform a bit of a lottery.  However, the boards were being reasonably updated and a free-jacked customer host was referring to them and helping passengers; if you're looking for Bristol Parkway, you need to know it's the Swansea train, for example. No big backlog of people appearing to need help, and assuming that the dateline and platform 4 desk were being equally helpful, just about as good as could have been down as far as the staff members and boards are concerned.  I did wonder if some sort of handheld device might have helped the green jacket rather than having to constantly check the passenger screen - but perhaps that method works for her.

The "17:36 for Westbury" was parked in the bay - 2 car 158, switched off and locked -  and the new waiting room filled.  At 17:33, a change of platform was announced to platform 3 (!) and we all moved; another 2 car 158 (SWR» (South Western Railway - about) colours) pulled in - 17:34.  A very quick turn around and back off in the other direction at 17:38.  But I noted that everyone on platform 2 HAD made their way to the alternative train, and furthermore an on train announcement that "This is the Westbury train calling at ... and NOT the Gloucester and Cheltenham service" provided a safety net the other way.  I did not see any rapid exits from the train at this announcement, so I think everyone had got the message anyway.

Going back to the original query / comment in this thread, was there an announcement in the Gatwick train which had come in to the platform where the London was expected to the effect of where it was headed, before it actually closed its doors?  If so, then I'm going to suggest we may be looking at a bit of a storm in a teacup here, with alternatives available perhaps leading to significant holdups if trains waited for their original platforms.

Of course, so much of the solution would be for us to get back to a much more reliable railway where last minute changes shrink away to being very, very rare events.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 11:09:53 »

Just to record what the data feeds (via RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) and OTT (Open Train Times website)) have for those trains:

2O49 17:04 to Redhill departed on time. Booked platform 5 but actual platform not recorded. I thought switching trains from 4-6 over to 12-15 wasn't a problem, but there may be some bits of the underlying system that think these are still different stations!

2P66 17:03 Didcot to Paddington, booked P15 but departed P12 17:07 (4L) and ran a few minutes late to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains).

2P67 17:18 to Paddington departed on time from P13 as booked.

I imagine that for most people 2P66 15 minutes late and 2P67 are very hard to tell apart - though if you want one of the smaller stations called at by one but not both the difference matters!

There are trains (and even more stock movements) that are not recorded on those feeds, but if 2P66 was clocked all the way down its route no more than 4L it can't have departed 15L!
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 11:58:30 »

2O49 17:04 to Redhill departed on time. Booked platform 5 but actual platform not recorded. I thought switching trains from 4-6 over to 12-15 wasn't a problem, but there may be some bits of the underlying system that think these are still different stations!

I've had a look at Open Rail Live Railway Data (http://www.charlwoodhouse.co.uk). It seems to have two separate entries for Reading - 'RDNGSTN RDG(resolve) Reading' and 'RDNG4AB RDZ Reading Platforms 4A/4B'. Searching for the former doesn't give any information for platforms 4-6 but the latter only gives information for those three. (RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) doesn't recognise 'RDZ' as a location.)

Here's the record for 2O49 on Saturday: http://www.charlwoodhouse.co.uk/rail/liverail/train/13067093/01/12/18

The entry for the departure of the train is timed at 02/12/18 00:56:01 which is maybe some sort of default as presumably the system didn't record it? Otherwise the first 'normal' entry is timed at 01/12/18 17:06:29 when it was 1 late at Reading Spur Junction.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 13:25:44 »

Perhaps I was a bit too offhand in what I said there. I know the reporting system does still have a separate reporting identity for Reading Southern, but the question is about timetable changes.

Based on my observations (and I'm certainly not an expert on the data systems), the reports we see are of timetabled movements and the actual reports that can be matched with them. If a train diverts to a new route, with different stations on it, then ideally its timetable entry is replaced by a new one shown as "STP". Then its progress can be shown against that.

If the change happens too late for that, the old timetabled train is shown with no reports against it, and the unmatched reports just vanish. But platform changes within a station can be made without an STP entry, and show up in the feeds and can be identified as "not as booked". The question at Reading is whether this can be done between the two bits of station, or whether actual movements in its new platform only show in the record if there was an STP entry for them.

If that's the case, I'd not noticed it before - but I can't say that is unlikely!
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 14:31:09 »

Due to unscheduled operational 'incidents' - ranging from train faults and staff out of hours through to platform delays due to slow-load passengers - there will always be times when late platform changes happen, as a better option than holding up services as they wait for the originally planned platform.  I suspect we would all prefer the platform switch to serious delays.

The issue comes in informing the passengers - especially where there's a last-miunute decision.  I was at Swindon last Saturday evening for just over an hour, and there were sufficient main line delays to make the whole thing of which train was at which platform a bit of a lottery.  However, the boards were being reasonably updated and a free-jacked customer host was referring to them and helping passengers; if you're looking for Bristol Parkway, you need to know it's the Swansea train, for example. No big backlog of people appearing to need help, and assuming that the dateline and platform 4 desk were being equally helpful, just about as good as could have been down as far as the staff members and boards are concerned.  I did wonder if some sort of handheld device might have helped the green jacket rather than having to constantly check the passenger screen - but perhaps that method works for her.

The "17:36 for Westbury" was parked in the bay - 2 car 158, switched off and locked -  and the new waiting room filled.  At 17:33, a change of platform was announced to platform 3 (!) and we all moved; another 2 car 158 (SWR» (South Western Railway - about) colours) pulled in - 17:34.  A very quick turn around and back off in the other direction at 17:38.  But I noted that everyone on platform 2 HAD made their way to the alternative train, and furthermore an on train announcement that "This is the Westbury train calling at ... and NOT the Gloucester and Cheltenham service" provided a safety net the other way.  I did not see any rapid exits from the train at this announcement, so I think everyone had got the message anyway.

Going back to the original query / comment in this thread, was there an announcement in the Gatwick train which had come in to the platform where the London was expected to the effect of where it was headed, before it actually closed its doors?  If so, then I'm going to suggest we may be looking at a bit of a storm in a teacup here, with alternatives available perhaps leading to significant holdups if trains waited for their original platforms.

Of course, so much of the solution would be for us to get back to a much more reliable railway where last minute changes shrink away to being very, very rare events.

Yes, I Think the people for Gloucester would of probably been waiting on Platform 1, At that time the train comes from Paddington.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 14:34:09 »

Reading has more platforms than Paddington, so should have a P/A announcer.

The staff are not useless - just the IT specifiers who produced the faulty CIS (Customer Information System) displays.

Redingensian,

OTC
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 14:42:27 »

Reading has more platforms than Paddington, so should have a P/A announcer.

The staff are not useless - just the IT specifiers who produced the faulty CIS (Customer Information System) displays.

Redingensian,

OTC

Weired, Do you not have an automated system to announce trains, like in Swindon. I also thought Reading would of had excellent displays and they worked.

The best station I know for announcing is Bristol TM(resolve), nice, loud and clear.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: