Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:32:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Tonight at Reading (01-12-2018) - Useless Staff  (Read 13792 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 15:03:18 »

When I read "useless staff" in a title I think of something like ((this)) ... though I suppose that is more like useless through redundancy ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 22:17:50 »

There's a number of relevant issues-

1. The problem at Reading now we have our new higher overbridge is that it's quite a treck back and forth between island platforms (ie - 14/5 to 12/3) - especially on the "B" (west) side where there are no down escalators.

2.  From the track diagram on Open Rail live, the final point/signal at which trains can be switched from the tracks into these four platforms looks quite close to the east end of the station.

3 . What seems to be missing is some kind of "interlock" between the system operating the points and the station passenger information systems - surely now we are getting real time train information on our smartphones something can be done about this?

Weired, Do you not have an automated system to announce trains, like in Swindon. I also thought Reading would of had excellent displays and they worked]

Yes we have automated announcements and (sometimes) proactive station announcers who take care to let people know what is happening - but this seems to depend upon which staff happen to be on duty at the time. The new signage (fixed and electronic) is poor - badly positioned, insufficient in size and (like elsewhere) dependent upon whatever system sits behind them. By far the best signage is that above the information desk in Brunel Arcade - the part of the station not  renewed during the recent reconstruction! The next best are the screens in the waiting rooms - the rest on the platforms and overbridge are simply not up to the job. Had I been able to make the Rail Future event last month I was contemplating offering a tour of the station to highlight the issue!

5. Having said all that, GW (Great Western) should take steps to mitigate problems at this their busiest interchange station, whether the result is passengers leaving on the wrong train or simply the inconvenience (especially if you are elderly/carrying luggage, even with the lifts) of several trips up and down from the platforms. Should not someone keep an eye on developing situations likely to cause switching of platforms, issue suitable announcements (such as suggesting that passengers stay on the overbridge until a platform is confirmed - some more seats there would be welcome!) and then ensuring that when a platform is selected the information is given to passengers and sufficient time is given to enable them to get to their train?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 22:41:06 by Richard Fairhurst » Logged
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 10:22:37 »

Sad to report that I have experienced this a couple of times at Temple Meads in the past few weeks, two weeks ago I was on platform 6 waiting for a service to Weston, the train clearly pulled into 12, no update on any of the screens - it was only that I was checking the train through one of the links someone had previously posted on here that I twigged the service was on the "wrong" platform.
Pointing it out to a member of platform staff, they then radioed the PA (Public Address) guy who made the correction announcements
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 11:53:57 »

Sad to report that I have experienced this a couple of times at Temple Meads in the past few weeks, two weeks ago I was on platform 6 waiting for a service to Weston, the train clearly pulled into 12, no update on any of the screens - it was only that I was checking the train through one of the links someone had previously posted on here that I twigged the service was on the "wrong" platform.
Pointing it out to a member of platform staff, they then radioed the PA (Public Address) guy who made the correction announcements

I Find It quite unusual that you experienced problems at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)), I have always had no problems at Bristol, There never were any problems when I visited there and Bristol panel still controlled the signalling, When a train got moved, The departure screen updated, Followed by an announcement, then everbody moved to that platform. I was there mostly in the days of first great western,Glad to get into coach D, and watch things on tv. Why did they do away with the entertainment coaches.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 12:19:02 by Dispatch Box » Logged
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 21:00:57 »

Anymore problems at Reading, might be tomorrow with new timetables.

Just singing to the giant crumpet show advert. Then spills Horlicks.
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 23:12:34 »

Just to clarify for those that may not be aware.

New timetable for SWR» (South Western Railway - about) and Cross Country started today (9th December).
New timetable for GWR (Great Western Railway) starts 1st Jan.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 23:24:59 »

New timetable for SWR» (South Western Railway - about) and Cross Country started today (9th December).

Except that some GWR changes *did* almost happen today.  Locally to us, the earliest Sunday train to Swindon is move 8 minutes earlier and it starts back from Warminster ... hope no-one missed it, except that old chestnut "lack of a driver" caused it to be cancelled.

I have ... mixed feelings about superbly informed social media staff going off and driving trains ... there are some good folks around at the moment, but it's not like those fantastic pioneering days.  On the other hand, there is clearly still a driver shortage ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 23:39:05 »

Except that some GWR changes *did* almost happen today.  Locally to us, the earliest Sunday train to Swindon is move 8 minutes earlier and it starts back from Warminster ... hope no-one missed it, except that old chestnut "lack of a driver" caused it to be cancelled.

I have ... mixed feelings about superbly informed social media staff going off and driving trains ... there are some good folks around at the moment, but it's not like those fantastic pioneering days.  On the other hand, there is clearly still a driver shortage ...

There are some bizarre subtleties in the public TT flowing from this. For instance, in Table 126, the down 1821 from Paddington to Hereford (till the end of December) becomes the 1822 on 31 December, but every single other timing is unchanged. So two columns are needed (both with the dreaded squiggly line), when a "safe side failure" would just have advertised it as 1821 throughout.
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 00:37:38 »

Except that some GWR (Great Western Railway) changes *did* almost happen today.  Locally to us, the earliest Sunday train to Swindon is move 8 minutes earlier and it starts back from Warminster ... hope no-one missed it, except that old chestnut "lack of a driver" caused it to be cancelled.

I think sometimes, Sundays feels like the timetable changes every week what with the various engineering works. I only drive in LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) land at the mo, so unfortunately don't go west of Didcot/Bedwyn.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 10:38:19 »

Admittedly it was only a minute, but the 1553 GWR service from Temple Meads to Taunton is now 1552 ??
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 22:54:01 »

Signs of some listening to passengers (or reading this thread)

1 - This morning, North Downs/SWR» (South Western Railway - about) trains halted for a while by points problem at Wokingham. No staff in evidence around platforms 4-6, and announcements only mentioned Waterloo passengers might try via Paddington. I drifted back to platforms 1- 3 to take the Basingstoke/Woking/Guildford zigzag route. Noting a huddle of staff on the gateline, I walked over and suggested perhaps something might be announced for all those going to Gatwick, Guildford, Bracknell etc. I was told they needed Network Rail's approval to do so (?). However about 5 minutes later - announcements with guidance for all such destinations (albeit not loud enough....)

2 - This evening on the way back, the 18-57 departure form Reading to Didcot stopped over 20 minutes at Twyford with a fault, then evacuated on Platform 12 and following train terminating at Reading occupied platform 13. No platform allocated for delayed next stopper to Didcot (usually allocated to 12) on signs, but "manual" announcement, this time audible, to stay on overbridge until platform known!  When it arrived, reasonable time allowed to board.

Is this a sign of better practice being adopted?
janes

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2018, 14:36:38 »

This kind of incident is exactly why many of the more savvy passengers have started using the signalling diagram screens on the platforms rather than the CIS (Customer Information System) screens - especially later in the evening, when very-last-minute platform changes appear to be the norm.

That way, by seeing the white route line appear, you find out before even the platform staff (unless they are standing next to you looking at it!) and can get a head start on the crowd.

Can be amusing sometimes trying to predict what they will do when the advertised platform is very clearly already occupied.... (One night I was very amused to see the obviously broken-down train blocking the platform designated as "BUST" instead of by its normal code number!)

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2018, 17:35:18 »

... many of the more savvy passengers have started using the signalling diagram screens on the platforms rather than the CIS (Customer Information System) screens ...

Those screens are exceedingly useful in helping inform passengers who have some base knowledge of what's going on.  I don't have a picture of the Reading one where this thread started ... here's part of the Bristol Parkway one.

Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2018, 19:20:16 »

... many of the more savvy passengers have started using the signalling diagram screens on the platforms rather than the CIS (Customer Information System) screens ...

Those screens are exceedingly useful in helping inform passengers who have some base knowledge of what's going on.  I don't have a picture of the Reading one where this thread started ... here's part of the Bristol Parkway one.

Well that does not look right, all the signals appear red, Some other things on it, does,nt seem to have any train codes on.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2018, 19:22:10 »

All information on them could be added to OpenTrainTimes maps (and others with the data licence), though the Reading map hasn’t got anything other than signal aspects displayed yet (save for Platforms 4,5 and 6).  Then you’d be able to watch everything unfolding from your phone!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: