Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:49:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[77] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[72] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[70] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[63] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Price of First Class from the Westcountry Significantly Reduced from January ?  (Read 4695 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2018, 07:03:50 »

I've just checked the cost of a First Class ticket from Exeter St Davids to London Paddington after January 2nd 2019 and it appears to have been significantly reduced..................

Today...
First Anytime Single     £204.50
First Anytime Return    £409.00
First Off-Peak Return    £264.60

January...
First Anytime Single     £174.50
First Anytime Return    £349.00
First Off-Peak Return   £225.50

Is this perchance to do with the falling number of First Class passengers since the introduction of the IET (Intercity Express Train) (i.e the percieved reduction in the quality of the First Class offering)?

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 08:41:29 »

I've just checked the cost of a First Class ticket from Exeter St Davids to London Paddington after January 2nd 2019 and it appears to have been significantly reduced..................

Today...

January...

Is this perchance to do with the falling number of First Class passengers since the introduction of the IET (Intercity Express Train) (i.e the percieved reduction in the quality of the First Class offering)?

Still too much.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 13:21:33 »

Or is it due to the larger number of 1st class seats available?
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 16:19:42 »

Undoubtedly !  First Class on an IET just is not worth the money - almost any extra money. The seats are poor, the tables (amazingly) are too large, making it difficult to get in and out. The whole ambiance of First Class is missing. When you walk into 1st on a 125 - it looks like first class; an IET looks just like Standard with slightly different seats. As I have said elsewhere they haven't even bothered to to put 1st Class stickers on the windows.   
My wife and I have been to St Ives several times in the last couple of years - 1st Class in a 125. A very pleasant experience. I would think long and hard (pun intended) about spending the extra on IET 1st Class - actually, the thought of nearly 5 hrs on an IET Standard seat is even worse. Goodbye St Ives !
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 16:28:56 »

Today...

January...

……...could also be an effect of competition from the (excellent) Flybe flights now available from Exeter to London City Airport, which 1st class passengers are perhaps more likely to take?

A return ticket in early January gives you change from £110, journey time 70 minutes......no brainer really?
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 18:06:17 »

I just got off an IET (Intercity Express Train) at Reading and switched to an HST (High Speed Train) because:

The customer host (at least there was one this time) on the IET had so little stock for 1st he was embarrassed.
The trolley is the size of a postage stamp compared to the one on Friday night on the HST.
There was no hot chocolate, no crisps, fruit etc.
The time penalty was minimal as the HST was on the opposite platform.
I prefer the more subdued lighting and the seats on the HST.

I've no idea if it's because of more seats or a lack customers due to the downgraded 1st class that they've cut the prices. Interesting to see it's happened though given the rises elsewhere.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 18:39:24 by 1st fan » Logged
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 09:49:02 »

I just got off an IET (Intercity Express Train) at Reading and switched to an HST (High Speed Train)

Make the most of the HSTs while you can, they won't be around for much longer! There are now more IETs than HSTs in service now.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 10:04:44 »

...First Class on an IET (Intercity Express Train) just is not worth the money - almost any extra money. The seats are poor, the tables (amazingly) are too large, making it difficult to get in and out. The whole ambiance of First Class is missing. When you walk into 1st on a 125 - it looks like first class; an IET looks just like Standard with slightly different seats...

I wholeheartedly agree: I had my first journey in IET First the other day and found it to be almost indistinguishable from Standard. And you are right about the tables. It certainly isn't worth the extra money just for a 'free' coffee and snacks. Very disappointing.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 11:57:44 »

I Travelled first class to Reading, some years back and loved the H.S.T. 1st class. Out of this world.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 13:24:55 »

I just got off an IET (Intercity Express Train) at Reading and switched to an HST (High Speed Train)

Make the most of the HSTs while you can, they won't be around for much longer! There are now more IETs than HSTs in service now.
When the penultimate Cotswold train on a Friday night becomes an IET then that'll be a very dark day. Well actually it'll be a very bright day indeed because of the insanely bright lighting on the IET in 1st. I think you know what I mean though.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 12:42:28 »

Today...

January...

……...could also be an effect of competition from the (excellent) Flybe flights now available from Exeter to London City Airport, which 1st class passengers are perhaps more likely to take?

A return ticket in early January gives you change from £110, journey time 70 minutes......no brainer really?

Possibly a no brainer for some, though (as ever) when you're looking at flight tickets you need to compare apples with apples and compare advance booked flight tickets with advanced booked rail tickets, rather than ridiculously (albeit now to be slightly less ridiculously) priced walk-on tickets.

The daily flight from Exeter is at 07:00 arriving London City at 08:10.  In the week commencing 7th January single fares range from £34.99 to £57.99.

The comparable daily train from Exeter (though loads of others are of course available) is the 05:52 arriving Paddington at 08:37.  Probably not a dissimilar overall journey time when allowing for transfers depending on where you live.  In the same week Standard Class advances are available from between £29.50 and £39 (the lower fare available on all but one day) and First Class advances are available all week for £62.

A quick glance at the situation for the return journey prices seems to favour the rail journey more than the flight which is as high as £86.20 on the Thursday of that week.

So, overall the flight is pitched somewhere between first and standard rail fares, though of course it could swing one way or the other depending on the day and how far in advance you book.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 18:38:39 »

Today...

January...

Possibly a no brainer for some, though (as ever) when you're looking at flight tickets you need to compare apples with apples and compare advance booked flight tickets with advanced booked rail tickets, rather than ridiculously (albeit now to be slightly less ridiculously) priced walk-on tickets.

The daily flight from Exeter is at 07:00 arriving London City at 08:10.  In the week commencing 7th January single fares range from £34.99 to £57.99.

The comparable daily train from Exeter (though loads of others are of course available) is the 05:52 arriving Paddington at 08:37.  Probably not a dissimilar overall journey time when allowing for transfers depending on where you live.  In the same week Standard Class advances are available from between £29.50 and £39 (the lower fare available on all but one day) and First Class advances are available all week for £62.

A quick glance at the situation for the return journey prices seems to favour the rail journey more than the flight which is as high as £86.20 on the Thursday of that week.

So, overall the flight is pitched somewhere between first and standard rail fares, though of course it could swing one way or the other depending on the day and how far in advance you book.

………...all of which is great but if you read what I said again you will note that I was referring specifically to the likely habits of business/1st class travellers in the context of the point of the original post, which was the slight reduction in the ludicrously high price of 1st class Anytime/Off peak returns, and putting forward one of the likely drivers of that reduction which is the availability of quicker and cheaper flights which would appeal to Business travellers as an alternative. You've also helpfully highlighted the earlier arrival time in London by air too.

I know that the concept of competition is a totally alien one to those who work on the railways, but it does exist Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 18:56:36 »

I wonder how far the reductions spread?

Taking a random (  Grin ) station a couple of counties over - Melksham - First Class returns to London Paddington remain at £269.00 in the peak and £159.00 off peak ... and there isn't a super off peak (is that right?)

Anyone else checked any other stations?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 19:19:46 »

I have found a number of stations where off-peak tickets (first and standard) are being sold on gwr.com for peak services in 2019. Somehow I don't think this is intentional or long-lasting Grin

Use this info at own risk ...
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 19:23:05 »

………...all of which is great but if you read what I said again you will note that I was referring specifically to the likely habits of business/1st class travellers in the context of the point of the original post, which was the slight reduction in the ludicrously high price of 1st class Anytime/Off peak returns, and putting forward one of the likely drivers of that reduction which is the availability of quicker and cheaper flights which would appeal to Business travellers as an alternative. You've also helpfully highlighted the earlier arrival time in London by air too.

I know that the concept of competition is a totally alien one to those who work on the railways, but it does exist Smiley

I've removed some of the quotes, but absolutely, you may well be right in that that is a part of the reason for the reduction.  But if you read again what I wrote, you'll see all I am doing is making a comparison between the price of advance booked 1st class rail and advance flight prices, rather than walk-on rail prices versus advance flight prices which is the comparison, even if indirectly, that you were making.  I know which I think is the fairer comparison.  The standard class prices were also quoted to give a meaningful comparison as not everyone travelling on business insists on 1st class, just as not everyone travelling by rail on business waits until the last minute to buy their ticket at those (still) eye-watering prices.

The slightly earlier flight arrival at London City Airport is indeed helpful if you are headed for Canary Wharf, but that time will soon be swallowed up if you are heading for anywhere in central London.  There is a greater choice of options if you choose to go by rail, and other benefits such as railcard discounts and the ability to pay the difference between your advance rail ticket and the walk on fare if you miss the train you're booked on (what happens if you miss your one-a-day flight?) but no doubt the flight option will be clearly the better option for some.

It would be interesting, and probably more relevant, to gauge the impact of competition from Flybe, to see whether advance rail tickets around the times of their flight are either reducing in price or increasing in number as a result. 

Regarding your last point, I've stated before I am personally all for competition from other modes of transport and a genuine choice for travellers, but I will sometimes choose to take the time to point out the benefits of rail that might be overlooked by some for whatever reason.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: