Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:31:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fatality on train at Twerton, sadly pronounced dead at Bristol Temple Meads (Dec 2018)  (Read 14082 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 18:48:02 »

I have noticed recently that new warning stickers have been applied on and around HST (High Speed Train) windows.

..and on board announcements.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 20:38:00 »

I have noticed recently that new warning stickers have been applied on and around HST (High Speed Train) windows.

GBE and I noticed them on our journey back from Westbury on Saturday.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 10:09:02 »

I don't think we should be speculating on what will come out of the investigation.

Official report just released

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839604/R142019_191016_Twerton.pdf

At about 22:04 hrs on Saturday 1 December 2018 a passenger was leaning out of the
window of a moving train when her head came into contact with a lineside tree branch
near Twerton, a suburb of Bath. The passenger suffered fatal injuries. The train, a
Great Western Railway service from London Paddington to Exeter St David’s, was
travelling at approximately 75 mph (120 km/h) at the time.
On the type of coach making up the train, opening windows are provided to allow
passengers to reach through and operate the external door handles when the train
is in a station. This is the only means by which passengers can open the train doors.
However, other than warning signs, there is nothing to prevent passengers from
opening and leaning out of such windows when trains are away from stations and
moving. The accident occurred because the passenger did this when branches from a
lineside tree were in close proximity to the train.
A possible underlying factor was that Great Western Railway’s risk assessment
process had not historically identified the risk of passengers or staff being injured as
a result of putting their heads out of windows on moving trains. Consequently, Great
Western Railway had not provided adequate mitigation measures to protect against
the risk.
The RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) has made four recommendations and identified two learning points.
One recommendation is addressed to operators of mainline passenger trains,
including charter operators, and seeks to minimise the likelihood of passengers
leaning out of droplight windows when a train is away from stations. A second
recommendation, is addressed to operators of heritage railways and seeks to improve
their management of the risks associated with passengers leaning out of vehicles.
The third recommendation is addressed to Great Western Railway and seeks to
reduce the potential for hazards associated with its operations being overlooked.
The fourth recommendation is addressed to RSSB (Rail Safety and Standards Board) and seeks to ensure that its advice
on emergency and safety signs reflects the level of risk associated with the hazard
being mitigated.
The learning points reinforce the importance of undertaking regular tree inspections
and the value of train operators having
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 10:35:18 »

I was thinking about incidents such as these when I saw this in a leaflet promoting the Gotthard Panorama Express which I picked up a couple of weeks ago on a train from Zurich.

Thanks to Graham for help on uploading images.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 10:11:09 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 16:42:57 »

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) - a more reader-friendly report with some pictures from today' full publication.

A woman was killed as she leaned out of a train window below an inadequate warning sign, a report said.

Bethan Roper, 28, was hit in the head by a tree branch while on board a Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) service travelling at about 75mph (120km/h) near Twerton, Bath.

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch)) also noted trees along the route had not been inspected since 2009.
Signs around the window were updated after Ms Roper's death.

The investigation said Ms Roper was returning to Penarth, South Wales, from Bath Spa station on 1 December 2018.
She was with friends, and the RAIB said it believed "at least one other friend leant out of the window before [Ms Roper]".

Witnesses told investigators Ms Roper had her head out of the window for a few seconds "before falling back into the vestibule".

Despite the efforts of other passengers, including some with medical training, she was pronounced dead at Bristol station, the report said.

The full report goes very much more thoroughly into how the tree branch came to be so close to the train and does not major on the signage the same way that the BBC report does.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2019, 09:02:52 »

Is there any chance this thread could be renamed, as the incident happened nowhere near Temple Meads? Every time I see the thread name I think "Oh no, has someone died at Temple Meads now?" and then find it is referring to last year's sad incident at Twerton.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2019, 11:08:16 »

Is there any chance this thread could be renamed, as the incident happened nowhere near Temple Meads? Every time I see the thread name I think "Oh no, has someone died at Temple Meads now?" and then find it is referring to last year's sad incident at Twerton.

I've added 'December 2018' to the thread title - I take your point that the accident didn't happen there, but I don't wish to confuse things further.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2021, 22:15:33 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Train passenger leaning out of window died after branch hit her

Bethan Roper was pronounced dead by paramedics at Bristol Temple Meads station

A woman died after she leaned out of the window of a moving train and was hit by a tree branch, an inquest heard.

Bethan Roper, 28, from Penarth, Glamorgan, suffered fatal head injuries on the Great Western Railway service at Twerton, between Bath and Bristol.

Fellow passengers gave her CPR but she was pronounced dead at Bristol Temple Meads station in December 2018.

An accident inspector said a lack of inspections on the line was "possibly causal" to the accident.

The train was travelling at around 75mph when the accident happened on 1 December, Avon Coroner's Court was told.

Miss Roper had been returning home with friends from a day out Christmas shopping in Bath.

Mark Hamilton, an inspector with the Rail Accident Investigation Branch, told the inquest that one of Miss Roper's group of friends opened the window, and at least one of the group leant out.

He said: "But around two and a half minutes after the train departed Bath Spa station, Bethan leant out of the window and a few seconds later she fell backwards having sustained a serious head injury.  The simple conclusion we have drawn from the evidence presented was that Bethan's head came into contact with a lineside tree and that tree was growing on Network Rail infrastructure."

Mr Hamilton said mandatory tree inspections should be carried out every five years, however Network Rail had not inspected that part of the line since 2009.

Mr Hamilton said it may have been deemed the branch was "insufficient to pose a risk of derailment" and mandatory inspections do not set out the risks to passengers on the train.  However, had an inspection been carried out in accordance with the industry's standard then "the diseased tree might have been identified", he said.

The inspector said yellow signs were used inside the train to warn passengers not to lean out of the window when it was moving, but the word "caution" suggested someone could put their head out of the window "with a degree of care".

Although the signs complied with industry standards, the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) considered red as "a better colour to convey danger", he added.

Toxicology tests showed Miss Roper's blood alcohol level was about twice the legal limit for driving.

Pathologist Dr Karin Denton said judgement and coordination "would be impaired" at that level.

Mr Hamilton said it was not possible to know how much effect the alcohol had on Miss Roper.

A statement read to the jury on behalf of Miss Roper's father, Adrian Roper, described his daughter as "an inspirational and much-loved woman", who worked for the Wales Refugee Council, volunteered at a foodbank and supported many charities.

The inquest is expected to last just over a week.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2021, 05:10:14 »

The inquest has concluded - report in the Penarth Times

Following five days of evidence, an inquest jury returned a majority conclusion of a narrative conclusion.

They said: “Bethan died as a result of an incident onboard a train travelling from Bath to Bristol Temple Meads on December 1 2018.

“Bethan boarded the train under the influence of alcohol. Despite a warning sign she leant out of a droplight window while the train was moving.

“She was struck by a stem of a tree sustaining a fatal head injury.”

I found the full article in the Penarth Times worth reading as a closure on the death of Bethan Roper.   In the 30 months since her passing, GWR (Great Western Railway) has withdrawn their final HST (High Speed Train) drop-window carriages. It was a process that was underway in any case. There have been studies and recommendations in some detail to find out just how that tree 'stem' came to be so close to the passing train as well.

Railways have become incredibly safe over the years but very occasionally indeed a combination of risks and imperfections leads to an accident and occasionally within those occasions it can lead to injury or even death. Sadly, that's what happened here.  Rest in peace, Bethan, at least in the knowledge that our system has analysed and learned from what went wrong to help ensure that even the rare co-incidence of imperfections could not happen again.

Edit to add - the conclusion of the inquest is reported in many other media outlets including the Daily Mail, the Mirror, the Independent, ITV and Wales Online

« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 09:24:58 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2021, 08:44:13 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) has withdrawn their final drop-window carriages. It was a process that was underway in any case.

Not really the time or place to be pedantic but they still exist on the sleeper stock don’t they?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2021, 09:23:53 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) has withdrawn their final drop-window carriages. It was a process that was underway in any case.

Not really the time or place to be pedantic but they still exist on the sleeper stock don’t they?

I suspect they do - I'll go back and add "HST (High Speed Train)" in my previous post to keep it clean for the future.  I also note, I believe, that there are drop windows on heritage / charter trains, including the Midland Pullman - most of which will be much more heavily staffed.

plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2021, 09:36:32 »

I suspect they do - I'll go back and add "HST (High Speed Train)" in my previous post to keep it clean for the future.  I also note, I believe, that there are drop windows on heritage / charter trains, including the Midland Pullman - most of which will be much more heavily staffed.

The sleeper stock now has [what's not yet been dubbed] CWL - "Central Window Locking".

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: