I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:55:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Active rail campaigns across the area we cover  (Read 28248 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 04, 2018, 09:24:23 »

A (new) sticky thread for our "Campaigns for new and improved services" board ...

There are a number of campaigns across the area and we have covered many / most over the years - a very great deal of interesting and detailed content.   What, perhaps, we have been lacking at times is occasional summaries of each campaign for newcomers - the management overview.  I have written a handful of these up ... and noted others where threads could do with a "where are we - for newcomers" post. 

Please ...

1. If you are involved with one of these campaigns and are able to write a summary, please do so on the relevant thread - let me know and I can update the links

2. Please let me know of campaigns / projects that I should add here ... it's very hard to know where to draw lines ... quite happy to quietly add in those that I have missed in this quick initial post

Radstock (24th January 2019)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=20967.0

Patchway, Aztec West and Pilning. (3 December 2018)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=20784.0

Corsham. (27 November 2018)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=226.0

Southampton and Totton to Marchwood, Hythe and Fawley. (3 October 2019)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=10308.0

Redoubling / widening single line TransWits sections (29 November 2018)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=20765.0

Oxford to Bletchley, Bedford and Cambridge. (4 February 2020)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1219.0

Tavistock. (10 February 2020)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=804.0

Okehampton. (16 January 2020)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2338.0

Heathfield. (18 June 2018)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=804.0

Portishead. (16 January 2020)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=231.0

Minehead. (23 February 2020)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=17237.0

Alternative route to Plymouth. (11 February 2020)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2338.0
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 09:03:52 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 08:11:34 »

From a Facebook post I made yesterday

Thank you for running this group, Brynley Heaven - a great news feed and inspiration. In June this year, I was elected to the RailFuture board and you've helped inform me about cases and campaigns outside my own area from which so much can be learned - whilst we are sometimes in competition for funds, we are rarely in competition for ideas or passengers.

Travelling around this year, I've learned so much and seen so many places - success stories, resources just waiting to be re-awoken - and also a number of overoptimistic cases where the elephant in the room has not been taken seriously.

Pictured - the RailFuture AGM (Annual General Meeting), a station with only a parliamentary service, one of the politicians who he have to convince to meaningfully partner with public transport, and a success - a late Sunday evening train for the first time I can recall on my own local line - and a happy customer on the first night.

Lots more pictures at http://gwr.passenger.chat/destinations - and I have turned it into a quiz. And lots of experiences from 2019 I can put to good use in 2020; I remain on the board of RailFuture until June, and even after my term is over I'll still be around to make use of what I have learned with TravelWatch SouthWest, the GWR (Great Western Railway) passenger forum, and my local Rail User Group.

Challenged on the bit highlighted:

Interesting post Graham - "And also a number of over optimistic cases" - which are?

Answer ...

Which are .... not named in my post, intentionally. ;-)

Sometimes / some cases can move on, and something that started as a "laughing stock" case can take wings, fly and succeed. So while I will openly observe that such cases exist, I will not speak them down here. If someone says "what about xxx" where xxx is their child, I have no problem is asking them about what I see as elephants.

By way of example - the campaign I've been most closely associated with was laughed into touch by a DfT» (Department for Transport - about) minister (on national radio, no less) ... but DfT concerns were addressed and whilst there have been umpteen ministers since, the civil servants are still the same. The case was ahead of its time, was refined to fit that future time, and with a single extra carriage passenger numbers grew 25 fold. What we campaigned for is now a part of the franchise SlC ... another carriage added ... platforms lengthened .. earlier and later trains ...

I post this in a general thread in a hopefully long-living resource to encourage reader who have a campaign and perhaps are new at it not to give up - but to look, analyse, and strengthen their cases from vague ideas to strong cases where all the big questions can be (and have been) addressed.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 20:16:25 »

I can see your reasoing regarding not "defining the elephants," not least because if you were to fall for it with a given proposal someone with an overdose of confirmation bias would seek to discredit your misgivings.

However, it might be an idea to describe in general terms what those elephants in the room might be, for example:

Is there really sufficient potential traffic to justify the proposal? You might be confident there is but are you absolutely sure, and what is your evidence?

If reopening a wayside station on an existing line, is there sufficient track capacity to allow it? Where are the trains going to start and finish their journeys? Is there a facility for reversing trains there, and even if there is, is there enough capacity without expensive upgrades that will add directly to your costs?

What TOC (Train Operating Company) would you plan to run the service and have they got sufficient coaching stock to provide it?

Come on - face real world reality. You might dearly want a train service, but in truth wouldn't a bus do the job equally as well and for a fraction of the cost?

There may well be othere ways to make proponents of schemes look more critically at their babies - these just came to mind immediately.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 20:50:54 »

I can see your reasoing regarding not "defining the elephants," not least because if you were to fall for it with a given proposal someone with an overdose of confirmation bias would seek to discredit your misgivings ...

In general terms, I have a checklist of a dozen things to look at - published elsewhere (I'll need to search it out, or someone may have a link) and not unlike the lists of others, and with considerable overlap with what you have posted.  But not for me to take a project new to me and give an uninformed comment. Everyone's on the same team and a discussion behind the scenes can do wonders for the protagonists.  Helping towards a clearer course.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 20:00:42 »

... in truth wouldn't a bus do the job equally as well and for a fraction of the cost?

There is a simple answer to that question, which applies in all circumstances: No.

Comparing a train service to a bus service is like comparing an apple with a washing machine. Both are useful, and both have their place, but they belong to different categories.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 20:49:58 »

... in truth wouldn't a bus do the job equally as well and for a fraction of the cost?

There is a simple answer to that question, which applies in all circumstances: No.

Comparing a train service to a bus service is like comparing an apple with a washing machine. Both are useful, and both have their place, but they belong to different categories.

OK.

So what would you say to those campaigning for the reopening of the Bude (pop. 10,000) to Okehampton line? Before you answer, remember that there would be 30-odd miles of railway to reinstate, including some land repurchase and rebuilding of bridges and viaducts, and the bus servoce between the two points is currently 2-hourly along roads that are generally empty except in the Summer peak?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 21:24:15 »

So what would you say to those campaigning for the reopening of the Bude (pop. 10,000) to Okehampton line? Before you answer, remember that there would be 30-odd miles of railway to reinstate, including some land repurchase and rebuilding of bridges and viaducts, and the bus servoce between the two points is currently 2-hourly along roads that are generally empty except in the Summer peak?

You are both right.

A bus is never as good as a train (perhaps that is why the bus is generally empty), but in some cases reinstating the train would be prohibitively expensive.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 22:27:09 »

I've taken a look for other projects which require(d) 30 miles of re-instatement to a town with a population of the 10,000 to 12,000 mark ... and I came up with the line to Galashiels which is about that length - a town which since the Beeching era had only been served by buses.   

From reports I've read, the trains have been doing quite well.  But not only the trains doing quite well, but also bringing real economic and social benefit to the area ...

Makes you think.  Not an exact comparison (these things never are) but it does indicate to me that Bude - taken looking at the opening up of the whole area the line runs through including Okehampton - may have rather more of a case than is suggested in some of the posts above.

CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 08:50:00 »

Sticking my neck out. In addition to the comparison between rail and bus you could add bicycle. Now I don't mean lots of people suddenly getting on their bike.

But where you have a former railway line that has become an established bicycle route. Take the (on/off) idea of restoring the rail link to Cranleigh in Surrey. The route is currently part of the Downs Link from Guildford to Shoreham (Sussex).

How does somebody decide on the balance of benefits; passengers/cyclists, increase/decrease in local business, environmental issues etc.

Who decides, impartially? I believe that the current DfT» (Department for Transport - about) WebTAG planning tool doesn't model either train or bike well.

Obviously I might have a different view to other members of the Forum.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 14:27:43 »

and

I've taken a look for other projects which require(d) 30 miles of re-instatement to a town with a population of the 10,000 to 12,000 mark ... and I came up with the line to Galashiels which is about that length - a town which since the Beeching era had only been served by buses.   

With respect to Grahame's championing of Bude, I regret to say that Robin is correct. The reinstated line to Galashiels runs down into Edinburgh, with masses of potential (presumably now being realised) for commuter traffic into Scotland's capital as it passes through its southern suburbs and satellite towns . The Bude line would run into Okehampton, a town of 6000 odd people. The next nearest major employment centre with rail links is probably Exeter. Even if a full time train service between Exeter and Oakhampton was reinstated, I would guess it would take the best part of two hours to do the whole journey. I'd also guess that the largest place between Oakhampton and Bude is Holsworthy (population about 2700) - so not much potential to generate much traffic there either.

CyclingSid's example of Cranleigh again must be a much better bet. I believe most of the formation is still there, and it's a shortish journey to Guildford, which is a reasonable sized employment and retail centre, and trains could run onto Waterloo readily. There's probably a route capacity problem with St Catherine's tunnel just south of Guildford, but it would take traffic off the overloaded A281 into the town. Hopefully there's room for a cycleway alongside a reinstated single track railway, too.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 15:28:42 »

With respect to Grahame's championing of Bude, I regret to say that Robin is correct.

I just asked questions and pointed to some comparators with, you will note, a comment that no two lines are the same.  I did not "champion" nor did I "rubbish".  Clearly, every single re-opening or service improvement proposal has positive and negative elements, which need to be carefully considered in a very wide sense - looking at the long term strategy for the area, for example, as well as current populations and transport.

I do not have the knowledge of North Cornwall, nor spatial development plans for the future there, to express an authoritative view which Robin and Eightonedee seem to be able to do. I do know that similar armchair concerns were expressed about the (quite different case) service to Melksham but then proven incorrect in time.  "I don't see how it will work" is fair enough ... "it won't work" shows either an expert authority or a degree of arrogance.

I ... err ... would be surprised if the railway to Bude were to be reopened, but then I've been surprised by some things in the past.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 16:11:54 »

Andrew Adonis recently pointed out that the communities that lost their rail connections following the Beeching reports have suffered disproportionate decline, with young people and skilled workers moving away to better-connected areas.

A report by the Centre for Economic Performance suggests that the population of London would be nearly 9% lower had the rail cuts not taken place, yet we spend massive amounts on public transport  there whilst starving the rest of the country.

Putting back lost connections would be an investment. If we don't want large areas of the country to remain as underperforming backwaters, we need to pay up. There are no guarantees, but in the (pitifully few) cases where lines have been reopened the BCR (Benefit Cost Ratio) has generally proven to be an underestimate.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 16:21:57 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 17:04:08 »

With respect to Grahame's championing of Bude, I regret to say that Robin is correct.

I just asked questions and pointed to some comparators with, you will note, a comment that no two lines are the same.  I did not "champion" nor did I "rubbish". 
[snip]
I do not have the knowledge of North Cornwall, nor spatial development plans for the future there, to express an authoritative view which Robin and Eightonedee seem to be able to do. I do know that similar armchair concerns were expressed about the (quite different case) service to Melksham but then proven incorrect in time.  "I don't see how it will work" is fair enough ... "it won't work" shows either an expert authority or a degree of arrogance.

I was just coming back to answer Graham's post from last night but I see that 81D has beaten me to it, mentioning all the salient points that I was about to make, save one.

Politics.

The Scottish Government wanted the Borders Line reopened, and where you have strong political backing for something it usually tends to happen. Meanwhile, our shower can't stump up the brass for a new line that the original GWR (Great Western Railway) conceded needed to be built almost 90 years ago, an inland high speed route in South Devon bypassing Dawlish, which is the only way you will ever get trains running between Bodmin and Tiverton Parkways faster than the rail replacement buses can do it. And I very much suspect that line would have been built had it not been for a jumped up WW1 corporal throwing his weight around...

Ironically, the outcome of the election might actually do something for public transport in Devon and Cornwall because, if the government renage on their promises to spend more on infrastructure projects outside of the South East, there are a hell of a lot of seats in the south west that could turn yellow when we all get invited to put our crosses next time. THat said, Bude will have to get a lot more marginal before that gets into the cross hairs

But going back to Okehampton to Bude, I too was not coming down on one side or the other. My post was in response to Red Squirrel asserting that a train was always best, irrespective of circumstances, something that I saw as a case of the very "overdose in confirmation bias" that I mentioned in an earlier post. The sub-text essentially was "Oh yeah, well how do you square this circle, then?"

Finally, and for the avoidance of doubt (because I'm not toally sure whether I'm being accused of "either an expert authority or a degree of arrogance" Grin ) I would point out that I have walked and cycled every bloody inch of the former LSWR (London South Western Railway) lines west of Exeter when researching my book "Cycling the Withered Arm." I can therefore tell everybody whatever they need to know about Bude to Okehanpton as it stands now (or to be more precise how it stood in 2014/15), and therefore also know what I am talking about.

http://www.robinsummerhill.co.uk/65801.html

Special deals available because I would rather like to get some space on my office floor back Grin

« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 20:41:03 by Red Squirrel » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 20:55:25 »

Politics.

That's the only issue.

It's taken 20 years for the Portishead line to progress from its first feasibility report to the point where Network Rail agrees that it's feasible. This is so far beyond ludicrous, it can only be policy.

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 23:09:43 »

Politics.

That's the only issue.

It's taken 20 years for the Portishead line to progress from its first feasibility report to the point where Network Rail agrees that it's feasible. This is so far beyond ludicrous, it can only be policy.

Off topic, but lest we forget...

Crossrail was first proposed in 1946 Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: