18th Apr (1966)
Melksham Station closed (link)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 02:03:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Return to Pilning  (Read 2149 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2018, 13:18:16 »

Just had a look at the possibility of heading out from Montpelier to Pilning one Saturday morning, and was a bit surprised by the fare. I appreciate that since they took the footbridge down it is necessary to change at Newport, but it seems a bit unreasonable that the fare is £21.40 - so not only to I have to traipse all the way to Wales and back, but I have to pay for the privilege too! The fare for the (much quicker and more direct) return journey is a more reasonable £4.20.

Is this information correct, or should the outbound fare match the inbound?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 13:46:31 »

I assume you're referring to an online booking engine that's giving erroneous fares.

Just buy the Anytime Day Single (£4.20) from Montpelier to Pilning on the train from Montpelier on Saturday.

There are Routeing Guide easements, both local and fare check, that allow you to double-back from Newport to get to Pilning. These should be programmed into booking engines, but may not be implementing correctly.

You shouldn't have any issues using the Anytime Day Single. Staff should be well aware of the limitations of getting to Pilning from the Bristol area with trains only calling in the up direction.

700765 Local

To allow journeys from Severn Beach, St Andrews Road, Avonmouth, Shirehampton, Sea Mills, Clifton Down, Redland, Stapleton Road, Montpelier, Lawrence Hill, Filton Abbey Wood and Bristol Parkway to Pilning via Newport (South Wales), this local easement will apply on Saturdays.

700772 Routeing Point

To allow journeys on Saturdays from Severn Beach, St Andrews Road, Avonmouth, Shirehampton, Sea Mills, Clifton Downs, Redland and Montpelier to Pilning via Newport (South Wales) this routeing point easement will override fares checking.

Are you planning on returning by train from Pilning? If so then it's the £6.50 Anytime Day Return, and don't miss the later departure! Or is the plan to reposition to Severn Beach under your own steam to get back home?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 13:51:46 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 13:48:39 »

Just had a look at the possibility of heading out from Montpelier to Pilning one Saturday morning, and was a bit surprised by the fare. I appreciate that since they took the footbridge down it is necessary to change at Newport, but it seems a bit unreasonable that the fare is £21.40 - so not only to I have to traipse all the way to Wales and back, but I have to pay for the privilege too! The fare for the (much quicker and more direct) return journey is a more reasonable £4.20.

Is this information correct, or should the outbound fare match the inbound?

? BRFares gave me £6.50 return ?  ... And I think that allows you to double back at Severn Tunnel Junction.

As a wise sage once said to me Avoid Newport .... different context, but put that into the journey planner and you won't be offered the higher fare.

An off peak return Monpelier to Newport is £12.40 and you can break your journey at Pilning on the way back ... though of course  you wouldn't then be counted in the Pilining ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) stats.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 13:55:37 »

I would say do go via Newport rather than Severn Tunnel Junction. The Routeing Guide easements allow it, you have less time waiting for the Pilning train, there is better shelter, and you can grab a coffee.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 14:18:06 »

Thank you both for your help and observations.

I got my information from http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk, which I have always imagined to be definitive - shows what I know!

I am just toying with ideas at the moment, but I wouldn't be too badly stranded if a lunchtime pint turned into three and I missed the 15:34...

Showing my ignorance even more: am I right in assuming that I can't leave the station at Newport?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 14:29:26 »

We would be pleased to see you at Pilning  RS ,all are welcome, the more the merrier.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 14:36:57 »

There is nothing written in black and white that says you can or can't break a journey when using a Routeing Guide double-back easement.

Leaving the station at Newport is entirely in the gift of gateline staff.

A promise to come back for the Pilning train may suffice, but there is the potential for staff to think you are using the Pilning fare to get to Newport on the cheap.

Ask nicely and hope for the best. But be prepared to be told you'll have to wait on the station for your connecting train.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 14:47:13 »

...there is the potential for staff to think you are using the Pilning fare to get to Newport on the cheap.

Perish the thought that anything so devious could possibly have entered my mind..!

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 15:12:03 »

National Rail is giving me £4.20 for the return leg but two fares for the outbound leg: £18.60 on the 0651 or £21.40 on 1336. "No return fares available" it says, so it doesn't know about this £6.50 Anytime Day Return.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
dhassell

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 12:30:08 »

The National Rail journey planner won't show the return fare from Montpelier to Pilning weirdly... But if you use the GWR (Great Western Railway) website direct it will come up with an itinerary with the £6.50 fare. If you do want to buy the ticket online, going directly to the GWR website is the best option.

If you try to click 'Buy now for £(whatever price it shows)' on the NRE(resolve) website, it automatically redirects you to the GWR website, which then fails to show any fares at all, so clearly a bit of a bug in the NRE system.

I also tried the Crosscountry website direct, which says 'No tickets are available', the Transport for Wales and Trainline websites for example also does the same... All of these ticket sites are ran by the Trainline booking engine mind ...

If you try to leave the station at Newport, the ticket won't work on the gateline, but I have never had trouble with the staff when showing the ticket.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 13:37:05 by dhassell » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: