Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:12 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:48 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 06:35:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Rhubarb!  (Read 9910 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 18:35:45 »

Well I became more knowledgeable about the Rhubarb today. I was at Parkway heading back to Temple Meads, oh look there's a train for Bath just about to leave, the 1554. Hopped on it and... oh, it goes round the Rhubarb rather than calling at Temple Meads. How odd. How inconvenient. How embarrassing. Fortunately the guard was understanding – actually said I was the second person on that very train to make the same mistake – as was the guard of the train I got back from Bath. Lesson learnt: always check the intermediate stations.  Roll Eyes Embarrassed

Anyway, I don't think I'd ever been along that loop before, so it's an ill routing decision and all that...  Undecided

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 20:06:08 »

Well I became more knowledgeable about the Rhubarb today. I was at Parkway heading back to Temple Meads, oh look there's a train for Bath just about to leave, the 1554. Hopped on it and... oh, it goes round the Rhubarb rather than calling at Temple Meads. How odd. How inconvenient. How embarrassing. Fortunately the guard was understanding – actually said I was the second person on that very train to make the same mistake – as was the guard of the train I got back from Bath. Lesson learnt: always check the intermediate stations.  Roll Eyes Embarrassed

Anyway, I don't think I'd ever been along that loop before, so it's an ill routing decision and all that...  Undecided

I had no idea they did that avoidance of Temple Meads.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 21:08:38 »

Well at least you managed to 'bash' a new bit of track...... Grin
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 21:37:24 by SandTEngineer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 21:40:09 »

Well I became more knowledgeable about the Rhubarb today. I was at Parkway heading back to Temple Meads ....

[snip]

Fortunately the guard was understanding – actually said I was the second person on that very train to make the same mistake – as was the guard of the train I got back from Bath. Lesson learnt: always check the intermediate stations.  Roll Eyes Embarrassed

It's  the "Parly" - used to avoid them having to go through a closure procedure on what was once a well used route.

Train managers will be understanding ... same thing has been know to happen (especially prior to 2013) with passengers at Trowbridge headed for Bath Spa ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 21:53:35 »

To avoid closing the Rhubarb? I see. I had no idea there were closure procedures for individual bits of track in the same way as for stations. And I'd kind of assumed the Rhubarb was used for freight and for getting empty trains into the right place as well as whatever else might have a reason to avoid BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains).

Another thing which struck me as odd was that it called at Lawrence Hill but not Stapleton Rd. It was a remarkably well-used train for a Parly!

eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 22:38:57 »

Another thing which struck me as odd was that it called at Lawrence Hill but not Stapleton Rd. It was a remarkably well-used train for a Parly!

Is that the train between Filton Abbey Wood and Bath that carries the MOD workers who were relocated from Bath?
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 22:42:09 »

Those services that use the Rhubarb curve are a remnant of the services introduced when Filton Abbey Wood was opened together with the MOD which brought many passengers fram Bath who were transferred there from their various scattered locations in that city.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 23:13:10 »

That makes sense. And there were quite a lot of people who boarded at Filton, some in uniform.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 07:41:06 »

Those services that use the Rhubarb curve are a remnant of the services introduced when Filton Abbey Wood was opened together with the MOD which brought many passengers fram Bath who were transferred there from their various scattered locations in that city.

That makes sense. And there were quite a lot of people who boarded at Filton, some in uniform.

There is a significant flow of commuters past Bristol Temple Meads - from the Avon Valley (Keysham, Oldfield Park, Bath, Freshford) and the upper Avon Valley (Avoncliff, Bradford-on-Avon, Trowbridge and beyond) to Filton Abbey, Patchway and Aztec West ... and the remaining Rhubarb train suits the inner sections of those flows, for people who have jobs which they can leave earlier than the traditional 5 p.m. finish.  So much stronger in passenger use than many "parly"s.

How / whether services from Wiltshire through to Filton Abbey Wood / stations beyond to Newport, avoiding Temple Meads, are justified in their own rights is an interesting question - perhaps a case for commuter time trains but additionally having good off peak service at Patchway, Aztec West, Pilning, Severn Tunnel Junction, Magor, Newport and St Mellons  even with a delay / reversal at Temple Meads.  That way, you have a commuter service that is relatively fast, supplemented by a service that takes 15 minutes longer for those who sometimes have to travel away from the peak.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 10:14:01 »

In bygone days, days of which I can remember, most, if not all, services between Cardiff and the South Coast via Salisbury / Southampton used the Rhubarb Curve as Stapleton Road was the Junction for South Wales.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 10:21:30 »

This particular train turned round at Bath. In fact the helpful guard said "Just get the next train back from Bath and explain to the guard, but it'll probably be me anyway because... " (in fact a Portsmouth-Cardiff train arrived first). And it didn't stop at Stapleton Road either, for some reason. But places change: I don't know what Stapleton Road was like "in bygone days" but I'd say now there are a lot of people living nearby but probably not many commuter destinations, whereas Temple Meads has become the centre of many office developments.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 11:08:13 »

In bygone days, days of which I can remember, most, if not all, services between Cardiff and the South Coast via Salisbury / Southampton used the Rhubarb Curve as Stapleton Road was the Junction for South Wales.

And many of the trains carried on around the east to north loop at Newport via Hereford and Shrewsbury ... that loop was subject of a closure procedure a few years ago of the sort that would be needed if the single Rhubarb Loop train was withdrawn. Other loops in the GW (Great Western) area include Didcot West to North, served by one (XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))) train per day, and the service from London to Bristol via the Westbury East to North curve - an experiment - was withdrawn a few days before it could no longer be classed as an experiment to avoid a closure procedure.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 11:27:44 »

To avoid closing the Rhubarb? I see. I had no idea there were closure procedures for individual bits of track in the same way as for stations. And I'd kind of assumed the Rhubarb was used for freight and for getting empty trains into the right place as well as whatever else might have a reason to avoid BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains).
Yes, individual lengths of track are definitely in scope.  A couple in the London area over the last few years have boiled down to very short sections of passenger use, a good example was a train from somewhere off the GW (Great Western) via the West London line into Waterloo in the early days of Eurostar, which left a section of track a few hundred yards long, (Sheepcote Ln curve), unused by passenger services just east of Clapham Jn. 

Then there were long winded closure arguments when DfT» (Department for Transport - about) ended XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) trains via Kensington Olympia.  Again most of the route was by then covered by other operators such as LO, but a couple of short stretches saw no passenger trains.  Initially a bus ran from Ealing Broadway via Shepherds Bush but I think DfT argued that the Central Line duplicated it, and for a short time Southern ran an offpeak short working between Shepherds Bush, (or maybe Kenny O),and Wandsworth Rd, effectively an ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) with passengers.  This covered the third side of a triangle near Clapham Jn.

The DfT’s consultation report is here: https://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/3666/closures-ekw-dft-consultation.pdf

This all took place about 5 years after the XC service ceased, they probably thought they’d got away with it.  Other documents on the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) site reveal that even London Travelwatch get confused between withdrawal of a passenger service and physical removal of a line,  DfT had to emphasise that the track was being retained for freight or ECS moves.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:03:53 by paul7755 » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2019, 20:46:04 »

I have rounded the Rhubarb only once from Parkway, on a train to Paddington diverted because of over-running engineering works one Monday morning. I was told I could get an earlier train and be only 15 minutes late, but my breakfast was on that one, as as it rolled into the station, I saw that the Chair of the working group I was going to was on it, so she would be as late as me. We were further diverted via Westbury - all in all a lovely excursion with all the coffee and pastries I wanted, the sort people pay good money for.

Now, please!
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 08:24:52 »

There is a significant flow of commuters past Bristol Temple Meads - from the Avon Valley (Keysham, Oldfield Park, Bath, Freshford) and the upper Avon Valley (Avoncliff, Bradford-on-Avon, Trowbridge and beyond) to Filton Abbey, Patchway and Aztec West ... and the remaining Rhubarb train suits the inner sections of those flows, for people who have jobs which they can leave earlier than the traditional 5 p.m. finish.  So much stronger in passenger use than many "parly"s.

How / whether services from Wiltshire through to Filton Abbey Wood / stations beyond to Newport, avoiding Temple Meads, are justified in their own rights is an interesting question - perhaps a case for commuter time trains but additionally having good off peak service at Patchway, Aztec West, Pilning, Severn Tunnel Junction, Magor, Newport and St Mellons  even with a delay / reversal at Temple Meads.  That way, you have a commuter service that is relatively fast, supplemented by a service that takes 15 minutes longer for those who sometimes have to travel away from the peak.

My partner, who works in Filton, uses this service on those rare occasions when she can finish work early. It is definitely popular, and I suspect a similar service (or preferably services) running an hour later would be even more so. Large numbers commute from the Bath stations to the Filton area, not just to MoD but to numerous other local employers, or are college students at the college there (where my partner works). No doubt there is also some commuting in the opposite direction into Bath, Keynsham or Trowbridge. At present they have to commute standing up in overcrowded trains that sit around Temple Meads for a long time (especially as they often seem to get delayed while waiting there), whereas a Rhubarb route train would shorten their journey time considerably and probably give a more pleasant journey as well.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: